Options

immigration has soared beyond its 320,000-a-year peak under Labour.

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Experts believe new stats released on Thursday morning by the Office for National Statistics will show immigration has soared beyond its 320,000-a-year peak under Labour.

The last quarterly publication in May showed net migration at 318,000 - just 2,000 short of the previous all-time high.

The Tories have repeatedly broken their promise to cut net migration - the number of people who moved to Britain in the last 12 months, less the number who moved away - to the “tens of thousands” by 2015.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tories-bury-immigration-figures-under-6327671

Yet more broken promises by the government. 'Tens of thousands'!!?"

Comments

• Options
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    So the Guardian (and left-wing press generally), were comprehensively wrong on the number of Romanians who'd arrive. A whopping 150,000 in last 12 months alone. UK Immigration Watch and the 'racist' right were once again proven correct.
  • Options
    Forever ChangesForever Changes Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe Cameron was serious about his reduction to tens of thousands claim.

Why say that but then turn around and do absolutely nothing about it? It has to have been a joke
  • Options
    DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Experts believe new stats released on Thursday morning by the Office for National Statistics will show immigration has soared beyond its 320,000-a-year peak under Labour.

The last quarterly publication in May showed net migration at 318,000 - just 2,000 short of the previous all-time high.

The Tories have repeatedly broken their promise to cut net migration - the number of people who moved to Britain in the last 12 months, less the number who moved away - to the “tens of thousands” by 2015.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tories-bury-immigration-figures-under-6327671

Blimey jol, it was labour who got us into this mess in the first place.
  • Options
    Jayceef1Jayceef1 Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the Guardian (and left-wing press generally), were comprehensively wrong on the number of Romanians who'd arrive. A whopping 150,000 in last 12 months alone. UK Immigration Watch and the 'racist' right were once again proven correct.

Precisely and if labour had not had an open door policy we would not be in this situation.

Whilst I admit that the current government could do more just imagine what it would be like if labour were still in power.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jayceef1 wrote: »
    just imagine what it would be like if labour were still in power.

Immigration has soared beyond its 320,000-a-year peak under Labour.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Immigration has soared beyond its 320,000-a-year peak under Labour.

Well luckily the tories will have another 10 more years to correct it. Have you voted Jol? Who did you go for?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tory government are now officially immigration record holders, knocking Labour off the top spot.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were never serious, it was just rhetoric to get into power.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Well luckily the tories will have another 10 more years to correct it. Have you voted Jol? Who did you go for?

No I haven't voted, I'm not a member of the Labour party.

Quite funny really as I suspect a lot of Tories on here who accuse me of being a Labour member, are now Labour members themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite funny really as I suspect a lot of Tories on here who accuse me of being a Labour member, are now Labour members themselves.

I seriously doubt that.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I bet it was Burnham. You come across as a Burnham man, or a cooper. Must be disheartening knowing Labour are hoping to vote in Corbyn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Tory government are now officially immigration record holders, knocking Labour off the top spot.

Deeply embarrassing for Dave - when he made his ridiculous boast in 2010 he was still giddy with excitement at becoming PM - but realistically there was no real way he was going to significantly reduce immigration without complete structural change of the immigration policies, introducing a managed points-based system for non-EU migrants, leaving the EU to stop the free-movement open door, and replacing or changing the asylum conventions.

Cameron might be able to argue that the last two issues are out of his hands, but there's no excuse for his failure to tackle the weaknesses of the system when it comes to non-EU immigration.

The govt tried to look 'tough' on illegal immigration (those mobile billboards!) but really that's merely drops in the ocean compared with mass legal migration - and these new figures shows he's categorically failed. He can't even use the Lib Dems excuse any more and has a majority govt, so wtf is he waiting for?
  • Options
    John_TraynorJohn_Traynor Posts: 268
    Forum Member

So? Your post has some facts in it, but what's the point of the post?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet it was Burnham. You come across as a Burnham man, or a cooper. Must be disheartening knowing Labour are hoping to vote in Corbyn.

Can't stand Burnham.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So? Your post has some facts in it, but what's the point of the post?

David Cameron “tens of thousands” by 2015.

Indefensible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Cameron “tens of thousands” by 2015.

Indefensible.

Labour socially engineered immigration - That's indefensible

Also the prediction that only 13,000 a year would enter Britain from the new EU member states.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/6418456/Labour-wanted-mass-immigration-to-make-UK-more-multicultural-says-former-adviser.html

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2015/mar/24/how-immigration-came-to-haunt-labour-inside-story
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not how many people that come here, it is how many people that stay that really matters.

Two of the NET migration elements, (emigration & EU free movement), can't be controlled by the government and the third, (non EU immigration), includes foreign students.

It does seem an impossible task to reduce it. Preventing people gaining permanent settlement and citizenship just because they have lived here for a period of time is much easier though.

The first step is to prevent visa switching. The second is to break the link between time and the right to settle here. Migrants should either be rich, or doing essential jobs to attain that status and the welfare state should only be available to settled people or citizens. EU citizens should have to apply along with everyone else.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Cameron wants us to stay in the EU which by definition means it's impossible to control immigration. So in ten years nothing will have changed.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Cameron wants us to stay in the EU which by definition means it's impossible to control immigration. So in ten years nothing will have changed.

Free movement of workers suggests professional people moving around the EU doing vital jobs. The EU has moved away from the original concept. People moving from one state to another and staying for good is migration not free movement.

We and the EU could compromise and say that the UK will allow free movement for up to five years, then the migrant must either apply to settle here permanently or leave unless they are doing a job on the shortage list, in which case their visa is tied to the job.

Anyway, we will have our say next year or the year after.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Free movement of workers suggests professional people moving around the EU doing vital jobs.

No it doesn't. So long as the work is effective and genuine and not provided solely as a means of rehabilitation it applies to any workers and any jobs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No promises and nothing has been broken. Tens of thousands was the previous government's pledge. This government has it as a long term ambition.
    We have seen many more people from the EU coming to Britain than originally anticipated, principally because our economy has been growing so much more rapidly and creating more jobs than other EU countries. As a result, our action has not been enough to cut annual net migration to the tens of thousands. That ambition remains the right one. But it is clearly going to take more time, more work and more difficult long-term decisions to achieve. Continuing this vital work will be our priority over the next five years.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Funny how all the usual suspects were completely wrong about immigration from Romania.

I remember Keith Vaz and a BBC news crew going to Victoria coach station on New Year's day and making a little comedy piece looking for Romanians. The joke is on unemployed Britons now.

Even leaving the EU won't cure the problem as immigrants from poorer countries tend to have larger families.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    No promises and nothing has been broken. Tens of thousands was the previous government's pledge. This government has it as a long term ambition.

So nothing David Cameron said in the last parliament can be ever mentioned again? Bonkers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So nothing David Cameron said in the last parliament can be ever mentioned again? Bonkers.

So you've dived in headfirst and, predictably, misquoted me and him. Way to go...

Everything that David Cameron has ever said can be mentioned at any time. But you can't say that he's promised immigration at a level of "tens of thousands" for this Parliament when he demonstrably hasn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

that doesn't let Cameron or his administration off the hook. He made a promise in 2010 and spectacularly failed to meet that promise. Now the promise has been downgraded to an 'ambition'