Vester Flanagan Was Offended By Simple Everyday Words

BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
Forum Member
✭✭✭
29th August 2015

Did political correctness and the State's allowance/encouragement of people being "offended" lead to murder?

I think the rules in Ultra Liberal Britain are that if somebody is offended, it must be offensive.

Please discuss.

The New York Post reports that 24-year-old white reporter, who was murdered on live TV along with her cameraman, used the phrases as an intern at *WDBJ TV in Roanoke in 2012, according to an internal complaint filed by Flanagan, who was black.
“One was something about ‘swinging’ by some place; the other was out in the ‘field,’ ” said the January 21 report by assistant news director Greg Baldwin, which refers to Parker as Alison Bailey (her middle name).

Flanagan assumed everything was a jab at his race, even when a manager brought in watermelon for all employees.
“Of course, he thought that was racist. He was like, ‘You’re doing that because of me.’ No, the general manager brought in watermelon for the entire news team. He’s like, ‘Nope, this is out for me. You guys are calling me out because I’m black.’ ”
Flanagan even declared that *7-Eleven was racist because it sold watermelon-flavoured Slurpees.
“It’s not a coincidence, they’re racist,” he allegedly told Mr Fair.

http://www.news.com.au/world/the-innocent-words-that-became-alison-parkers-death-sentence/story-fndir2ev-1227503549750

Comments

• stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like mental illness to me. Still, it's got you an in for using a tragedy to advance a cheap agenda, so it's not all bad, eh?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy sounds like a total nutjob with a persecution complex, to me.

I don't think political correctness actually enters the equation.
  • Sport1Sport1 Posts: 8,819
    Forum Member
    BigAndy99 wrote: »
    Did political correctness and the State's allowance/encouragement of people being "offended" lead to murder?

Political correctness, or anything like it, played no part in this terrible act.

As you well know.
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Twas a black day in American journalism.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Sounds like mental illness to me. Still, it's got you an in for using a tragedy to advance a cheap agenda, so it's not all bad, eh?

Well put ..
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Still, it's got you an in for using a tragedy to advance a cheap agenda, so it's not all bad, eh?
    Just like WSB TV did today when it attempted to link Flanagan, a.k.a Williams to video gamers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hva4EccGWV8
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like WSB TV did today when it attempted to link Flanagan, a.k.a Williams to video gamers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hva4EccGWV8

CSGO made him do it!! :o : rolleyes:

He had mental health issues fo' sure :(
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Sport1 wrote: »
    Political correctness, or anything like it, played no part in this terrible act.

As you well know.
    It was an extension of the PC mantra, Without the PC goings on, he wouldn't have added his own tenuous links to the tenuous links that the PC brigade themselves come up with.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Judging by that report, Flanagan was the racist.

It won't be labelled a racist murder though.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    nomad2king wrote: »
    It was an extension of the PC mantra, Without the PC goings on, he wouldn't have added his own tenuous links to the tenuous links that the PC brigade themselves come up with.

Supposed "PC" is not the problem here. And there's no such thing as the "PC brigade".
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watermelon flavour? Is that not a contradiction in terms anyway?
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Supposed "PC" is not the problem here. And there's no such thing as the "PC brigade".
    Are you really saying that there is no set of people looking for tenuous links with terms that have been used for centuries?
    Forum Member
    Are you really saying that there is no set of people looking for tenuous links with terms that have been used for centuries?

Yes I am. Though I don't see what this has to do with the horrible murder in the US.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And if racism wasn't a thing he wouldn't have had it to use as an excuse. Neither of which lines of inquiry are particularly fruitful.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it's the use of the word "brigade" that isn't liked. However, it is recognised by the free dictionary as being a valid term of reference - link
    2. group, party, body, band, camp, squad, organization, crew, bunch (informal) the healthy-eating brigade

The PC brigade are those individuals who are extremely concerned with semantics in the field of dealing with sensitive societal issues.
  • ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was more the indirect influence of bankers' bonuses and fracking.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flanagan even declared that *7-Eleven was racist because it sold watermelon-flavoured Slurpees.

Yeah he didn't have mental health issues at all...

Essentially the OP's argument is the same as people who blame video games for violence.
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I think it's the use of the word "brigade" that isn't liked.
    It's the whole phrase. Conveys little actual meaning, and is generally used as a kneejerk reaction to something vaguely liberal that the user doesn't like.
  • BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    Judging by that report, Flanagan was the racist.

It won't be labelled a racist murder though.

Bang on the money Arcana!
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    29th August 2015

I think the rules in Ultra Liberal Britain are that if somebody is offended, it must be offensive.

Please discuss.

The New York Post reports that 24-year-old white reporter, who was murdered on live TV along with her cameraman, used the phrases as an intern at *WDBJ TV in Roanoke in 2012, according to an internal complaint filed by Flanagan, who was black.
    “One was something about ‘swinging’ by some place; the other was out in the ‘field,’ ” said the January 21 report by assistant news director Greg Baldwin, which refers to Parker as Alison Bailey (her middle name).

Flanagan assumed everything was a jab at his race, even when a manager brought in watermelon for all employees.
    “Of course, he thought that was racist. He was like, ‘You’re doing that because of me.’ No, the general manager brought in watermelon for the entire news team. He’s like, ‘Nope, this is out for me. You guys are calling me out because I’m black.’ ”
    “It’s not a coincidence, they’re racist,” he allegedly told Mr Fair.

http://www.news.com.au/world/the-innocent-words-that-became-alison-parkers-death-sentence/story-fndir2ev-1227503549750

He clearly had mental illness of a paranoid nature. Its nothing to do with being 'PC'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    He clearly had mental illness of a paranoid nature. Its nothing to do with being 'PC'

Incorrect.
    Forum Member
    Incorrect.

Why is it incorrect?
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mental illness is not something to make a joke of or take lightly.

Certainly not one to hide beneath the ugly veneer of invalid claims about racism where there wasn't any intended.

I think the man had some sort of genuine problem if he was perceiving things that nobody else was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Why is it incorrect?

He believed that he had a right to be offended by perfectly innocent words/terms - and quite right he is too - there are many many employers who would side with such utter rubbish.

For a generation the West has been brought up on a daily dose of "if you hear or see anything, even if it isn't aimed at you, you have the divine right to complain and be heard".

Was the same in the army, same in the very large organisations i've worked in since i left.

He did this and failed.

The result of that meant he killed 2 innocent people.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    He sounds like he was mentally ill. It's not out of the realms of possibility that the concepts of racism and political correctness both fed into his paranoia that he was being bullied, though.