Options

Thank You C4

CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
Forum Member
Like a lot of people here I have been disgusted by what has been going on in the house and if asked two days ago should the show be stopped I would have said yes, but now I say no.

We all know how badly Endemol have handled this, their blinkered statements and only really acknowledging the situation until yesterday (it was completely overlooked and brushed under the carpet on all the BB spin off shows (BBBB being a very nasty piece of work in looking the other way on the Monday night just gone) We all know Endemol will make money from this. That's life.

But I think C4 have taken a brave stand here and continued with the show and Im glad they did because as unlike any TV drama, TV play or news item it has taken a trash reality show to show what still goes on in the UK and it is NOT acceptable behaviour. I don't think C4 are supporting bullying or racism they are condoning it and saying this is what it is like..if your a bully..your disgusting. Indian people have long been a welcome, peaceful part of our society. That is why the 'culture clash' argument doesn't work with me. Everynight in nearly every Indian takeaway and restaurant this is the behaviour they have to put up with by drunken scum. Shilpa has embodied the way they handled this, with dignity. It is us that should be ashamed of the 'scum' element within our communities.

How many of us work with people like this, not overtly racist but still they have that nasty one-liner attitude. We all know people like this and at last this show has shown that it is NOT acceptable behaviour.

I applaud C4 for not hiding and editing out the bullying, it isn't a case of clever editing to make the 3 girls look bad, it requires no editing, it IS there. BB at heart is a social experiment and the whole point of it is how people react to one another and different situations, but now there is a situation that is making a lot of people feel uncomfortable, but we shouldnt be suprised that this ugly situation has reared it's head.

It has taken this trash reality show to highlight just what is going on in our disposable culture of non talented celebs, our willingness to buy newspapers and magazines that feature talentless people day after day. It's no-ones fault but our own. I hope that CBB will help open our eyes to the mass marketing of talentless 'council scum' as celebrities. Our culture has turned into one of near complete lack of respect for other people.

As I have said, it has taken CBB to show just what is still going on in our country.

I applaud C4 because next time someone is sitting in a works canteen reading a trash tabloid maybe they will think twice about reading something and looking at their fellow workers and spouting out some racial nonsence.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I understand your point, but I think we have the message now, and it shouldnt be at the expense of another human being.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is always a positive from a bad situation and hopefully this will raise awareness about bullying.

I am appalled that C4 appear to be doing nothing about it and almost condoning this behaviour. Their pathetic wet statement has made me lose respect for them. I am more worried about people seeing them 'get away with it' and thinking it is acceptable behaviour. TV is a very powerful medium. C4 claims to be a socially aware channel. All I see is a bad PR cover up!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes i don't think anyone wants them to dub it out (that's worse than not doing anything) – but the three witches should be punished…
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot applaud Channel 4 for the following rasons:
    1) They refuse to act and punish the perpetrators
    2) They refuse to clear up any 'speculation' over what Jack said
    3) They are encouraging us, the public, to pay and vote out the bully
    4) They have not even begun to show the full extent of what has been going on in their 'edited' highlights
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cstar2229 wrote:
    There is always a positive from a bad situation and hopefully this will raise awareness about bullying.

I am appalled that C4 appear to be doing nothing about it and almost condoning this behaviour. Their pathetic wet statement has made me lose respect for them. I am more worried about people seeing them 'get away with it' and thinking it is acceptable behaviour. TV is a very powerful medium. C4 claims to be a socially aware channel. All I see is a bad PR cover up!

but do you remember when siezer bullied housemates last year and we all hoped davina would give him a right roasting in the interview? she was pretty weak and didn't really give him any cr*p like we hoped… i reckon it'll more or less be handled like that. they'll be evicted, davina will give them a rather wet interview they'll apologise and say no one understands what it's like to be in the house and then they'll go on their way… :mad: