Options

Are there any advantages of having built in Freeview?

Hi.

Im waiting on delivery of my new TV

Im wondering are there any advantages with it having built in freeview? I already have Sky so, for example, would I be able to say record from Sky and watch a different channel on freeview? or Im I missing the point and it does not work like that?

Im just trying to save myself some time and fustration when it is delivered, we all know what it's like when we get a new toy :D

Comments

• Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Sure you will be able to watch Freeview while recording Sky; so long as you have an aerial of course. :)
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Thank you Richard.

I do have an aerial goin in to my Sky Box, I suppose I can use that, if not get another one hooked up.

Cheers.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,530
    Forum Member

Yes, it's then a 'proper' TV and can work on it's own after the analogue switch-off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think having a DTT tuner is no-brainer in this day and age unless the shop were charging a ridiculous premium for the model.
    That said I would still buy a twin tuner DVR and use that exclusively relying on a good RGB scart connection.

An external box also gives you more flexibility if and when new features come along.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jarrak wrote:
    An external box also gives you more flexibility if and when new features come along.

But you can use an external box just as well on a set with internal Freeview! - and you're not likely to be able to buy a decent set with out it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you can use an external box just as well on a set with internal Freeview! - and you're not likely to be able to buy a decent set with out it.

I never said or implied you couldn't infact me reply indicates I would be using a Freeview DVR with a DTT equipped TV.

There are still a few TV's (CRT and LCD) out there living in the past and many people have questioned the price differences between the models specifically considering the cost of a standalone DTT box.
    The existence of a DTT tuner does not by itself guarantee a good tube and picture but if you use "decent" as meaning future proof then you are right.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    Au contraire. It seems to becoming more and more difficult to find a CRT of decent size and quality. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote:
    Au contraire. It seems to becoming more and more difficult to find a CRT of decent size and quality. ;)

You're not likely to, I never mentioned old CRT sets, all reputable manufacturers have moved to LCD/Plasma, the only CRT sets are the cheap crap ones.