Spartacus: War of the Damned US Pace

12345679»

Comments

• sheff71sheff71 Posts: 7,874
    Forum Member
    As everyone else has said, what a fitting finale to a series that has been outstanding.

Great credit to Liam McIntyre from managing to win over most if not all of the doubters, after taking over from Andy Whitfield.

Glad also that they chose not to rewrite the end so that Spartacus won, they all survived etc for a cheesy Hollywood style ending - it stuck pretty much with what is known with the central characters (never finding Spartacus' body, lining up the 6000 slaves on the Appian Way, Pompey stealing the credit, etc). Even if there is no record of Caesar being involved in these events historically... :)

I was just glad to see Tiberius meet his end last week (though would rather it'd have been much more painful!), very sad ending for Gannicus though...

It was quite a feat to make four series, all of such high quality - even moreso after the inevitable departure of John Hannah, who really did carry much of the first series. The prequel bringing in Dustin Clare's Gannicus was excellent (particulalry in the sad circumstances it was developed with Andy's problems)...

It's just sad that it's the last we'll see of that cast together (though a Caesar spinoff, with Caesar, Crassus and Pompey already established would be interesting! - the political intrigue within Rome could be great tv in the hands of this set of writers!). I hope we get to see some of the cast in other things (Manu Bennett had done Sinbad?), and they'd certainly be worth casting in other historical / battle epics... now if only Dr Who could materialise in Capua, around 73 BC... :p

Now whether to watch it again on Sky tomorrow in HD - couldn't wait until Monday to see it!
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    Cracking ending. I expected Spartacus to die, but I was holding out a tiny hope that Gannicus would somehow escape. *dabs away a manly tear* Thankfully Agron and Nasir survived, so that was a victory :)

The end credits were amazing, I don't think they could have ended the show any better than having Andy bellowing 'I am Spartacus!'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    wow. that was just wow! A brilliant end to a brilliant show. I really shouldn't have watched that having put mascara on this morning, a tear or 10 was shed (alright I blubbed like a baby at the death scenes)

and yep agreed Liam McIntyre was amazing, I doubted him last season but the boy did more than good. The whole cast was amazing.
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Just watched the last episode and yes had a few tears to. Gratitude to everyone involved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Magnificent ending to a great series, I have to say the casting of Crassus was very good, but he was so cruel,! especially when he crucified his lover, even after he had apparantly forgiven her for killing his son, very emotional scene :cry:
  • TironTiron Posts: 8,080
    Forum Member
    No words can accurately do justice to the finale of a great great series and indeed the whole Spartacus series.

A gigantic gratitude to the writers, cast and crew.
  • TironTiron Posts: 8,080
    Forum Member
    Hope a spin off series yet draws breath.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to hold my hands up and admit I thought they would end with Spartacus seeing his beloved Thrace before he croaked, but the ending we saw was absolutely terrific. The end credits were a great way of rounding off our journey, and it was truly fitting that the final shot was of Andy.

Hail and farewell Spartacus.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    I thought I was prepared. I was not.

I knew it was going to be good, I knew that a lot of my favorites would die. Thankfully, I knew since the ep aired that my two favs - Agron and Nasir - survived. I did not know that Spartacus coming to rest under the Red Serpent would be Agron's shield-sword until I spotted the decoration.

Did I cry? No. Not yet.

I (wo)manfully held back tears. I would be strong: this is the third servile rebellion and I've known for years who lived and who died.

Lugo. I cried. Like a baby. And I secretly cheered because he went down like a BAMF, on fire and still killing Romans while insulting their mothers.
    Did I see the epic fight between Crassus and Spartacus? Yes, but I missed the start because of Saxa. I cried. Like a baby. And I secretly cheered because she ended up in Ganicus's arms again.
    Naevia: not my favorite. A far way from my favorite (I like Cynthia, but I preferred the original. Naevia's been a bit of a c**t since the start of series 3) but I still cried a bit more when she died. She died like a warrior and that's all we could ask from her.
    Ganicus. Oh lord, Ganicus. I sobbed like a baby when it all melted away to the Games and he gave his final battle cry.
    Kore, you poor cow. This year's Romans weren't as entertaining as the first few (C'mon, Crassus was always going to be the guy who ended the rebellion, and I've been biased against him since before the first ep of S3, but to be fair I can't decided if I love him or hate him: the actor is phenomenal) but it was hard not to feel for Kore and her forbidden love, destroyed by the douchebag that was Tiberius (named after a Roman body slave what done his owner in the bumhole - even more epic), and it was very hard not to feel for Crassus, who is caught between his standing and how Rome views him (plus his ego) and his heart. But in the end, he treated her the same as he treated Laeta, a true Roman.
    Spartacus.... When the choice was between reaching for his sword or Sura's ribbon, and Crassus went for his sword while Spartacus went for the ribbon, I was gone again. What a death scene. What a brilliant death scene. And I think it's a testament to the writers that, when he grabbed Crassus's sword, I genuinely thought he would survive. Swear to god, I thought he would survive. What a brilliant death for a brilliant character.

So glad that Agron and Nasir lived. Really glad that my two favorites made it out the other side mostly intact.

And then Andy Whitfield popped up and roared the immortal line I AM SPARTACUS! and I was gone again. It's been over an hour and a half since I watched it, and I'm still in tears.

What an amazing TV show. What amazing writers, and what amazing actors.
    Definite 11 out of 10 for a season finale. Superb.
  • storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I wish you were born a Roman and stood beside beside me in battle" " I bless the fates that it wasn't so" - Final exchange between Crassus & Spartacus

“One day Rome shall fade and crumble, yet you shall always be remembered.” - Agron to a dying Spartacus

2 of the most memorable quotes from the finale!
  • REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiron wrote: »
    Hope a spin off series yet draws breath.

There is talk of Caesar but so much of that was covered in "Rome" especially the relationship with Cleopatra. Of the Spartaus series my favourite was the prequel.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    awesome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Apart form the great story line, great actors, the sealing the deal as one of the great TV shows of the last few years was Spartacus launching himself through the air to take Crassus off his horse in the middle of the final battle, beyond awesome!!
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheff71 wrote: »
    Glad also that they chose not to rewrite the end so that Spartacus won, they all survived etc for a cheesy Hollywood style ending

But Hollywood did do this story :)
    And they didn't do a a happy ending either...

Great end as everyone has said. I did hope that Gannicus could have been one of the survivors. I liked how they got Spartacus out of there.
    Also really like the homage to themovie with them all saying "I am Spartacus" at the start when attacking the villas.

I am looking forward to a spin off if it happens. some interesting characters there.
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is talk of Caesar but so much of that was covered in "Rome" especially the relationship with Cleopatra. Of the Spartaus series my favourite was the prequel.

Rome only covered Caesar's last few years. There is lot of ground to cover yet. His rise to power in the Senate etc. Caesar only took the position in Gaul to get out of Rome to avoid all the enemies he made in Rome on his rise to the top. When there he decided he'd take over.
    Rome starts from after this point, post Gaul.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    It was just a brilliant series.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    But Hollywood did do this story :)
    And they didn't do a a happy ending either...

Great end as everyone has said. I did hope that Gannicus could have been one of the survivors. I liked how they got Spartacus out of there.
    Also really like the homage to themovie with them all saying "I am Spartacus" at the start when attacking the villas.

I am looking forward to a spin off if it happens. some interesting characters there.

TBH if you went by what is known of the period he should have died some time ago
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see that Liam is going to be on the big screen

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=103302
  • PetingoPetingo Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great ending to what has ben a fantastic series .

Glad to hear there will be a Caesar spin off.

The final credits were a touch of class.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dont think ceaser is confirmed at all

also steven s denight wont be behind it so im not sure its guaranteed to be same quality if it did happen

p.s keep rewatching the credits for andy!