4.3 on NEXUS 4

late8late8 Posts: 7,175
Forum Member
Anyone having any luck?

It was supposed to be available yesterday however there has been no update?

Anyone else know if this is on UK servers yet or where to download?

Comments

• GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is always the case, it will be rolled out over the next week.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to getting it on my Nexus 7 and Nexus 4 and seeing what minor changes 4.3 has.

Darren
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    I think it's staged by device ID rather than location, so there may be some UK phones that have it and some that don't.

You can download it from here if you're desperate not to wait - be warned, the risks are very small but not non-existant.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    They're awful at pushing out updates. They're never timely.

Something that apple manages fairly well. And Google are not exactly short on bandwidth.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I think it's staged by device ID rather than location, so there may be some UK phones that have it and some that don't.

You can download it from here if you're desperate not to wait - be warned, the risks are very small but not non-existant.

Thats a scutter that guide!!

All you need to do is put the phone into the bootloader, download the file, extract it and hit flash-all.bat.

That's how i did it yesterday.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

Something that apple manages fairly well. And Google are not exactly short on bandwidth.

At least Google pushes their updates out within a few days of release. Any ISP locked device will have to wait weeks, months or may never get the update.

From a distribution perspective a staged rollout makes some sense. If any of the people getting the update in the first wave report any critical issues then the whole release can be stopped. Embarrassing for the company but not as bad as everyone getting a bad release at the same time.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Awful at pushing out updates? You are not serious. Google want to avoid all the problems Apple have when they push upadtes and crash their servers. And Google put the factory images out there straight away for anyone to download and flash.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    All you need to do is put the phone into the bootloader, download the file, extract it and hit flash-all.bat.
    Does that method keep all of your data?
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    Awful at pushing out updates? You are not serious. Google want to avoid all the problems Apple have when they push upadtes and crash their servers. And Google put the factory images out there straight away for anyone to download and flash.

You are not serious?

You know that Google own Youtube right?

Every nexus device downloading a firmware update at the exact same moment wouldn't even register as a blip on google's servers.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, I've not seen Apple's servers keel over under the weight of a point update. They only seem to struggle slightly with the release of a brand new full blown OS release.

I don't think Google would struggle if they just rolled this out. I had to wait a week for the last update on my Nexus 4. I understand they might want to stagger it a little over a couple of days, but a week seems a long time for a phone which hasn't sold anything like the numbers that Samsung or Apple put out!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Apple servers do tend to slow right down when a new version of iOS is released, and people start to get download error messages. So maybe there's something to be said for a staggered rollout.

That said, the Apple servers are under pressure because ALL iOS devices are updated using that method. The number of Nexus devices around must be very, very low by comparison, so you'd think it would be something they could handle in one go.
    Forum Member
    Does that method keep all of your data?

No.

I wasn't fussed however since most of my stuff is on a cloud of some sort.

Its also best to start from scratch with an update like this.
    Forum Member
    The Apple servers do tend to slow right down when a new version of iOS is released, and people start to get download error messages. So maybe there's something to be said for a staggered rollout.

That said, the Apple servers are under pressure because ALL iOS devices are updated using that method. The number of Nexus devices around must be very, very low by comparison, so you'd think it would be something they could handle in one go.

Yeah the number of iOS devices must be what 100 times? 1000 times? the number of nexus devices.

And Google has many many times the bandwidth available to apple. For free.
    Forum Member
    No.

Its also best to start from scratch with an update like this.

It's best to start from scratch for a minor incremental update?

A source for that?
    Forum Member
    It's best to start from scratch for a minor incremental update?

A source for that?

My source is me and from my days making custom roms.

Its not exactly a minor incremental update anyway. Its adds lots of new things from a whole new kernel and radio to updated bluetooth.

I did do an update to 4.3 but it didn't go well. Random reboots and lock ups.

So personally i think its best to full wipe.
    Forum Member
    My source is me and from my days making custom roms.

Its not exactly a minor incremental update anyway. Its adds lots of new things from a whole new kernel and radio to updated bluetooth.

I did do an update to 4.3 but it didn't go well. Random reboots and lock ups.

So personally i think its best to full wipe.

I disagree.
    Forum Member
    I disagree.

You disagree with what bit?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

That's fair enough; however, I would suggest that most people do want to keep their data intact, which is what the method in that guide does, probably explaining why it's such a "scutter" as you put it.

Yes, all my really important stuff - contacts, emails, SMS history, photos - is backed up in the cloud, but minor stuff - a couple of IAPs, my Temple Run 2 stats, my Tiny Thief / Broken Sword progress, etc - isn't backed up so I'd be a little miffed at losing all of that.
    Forum Member
    That's fair enough; however, I would suggest that most people do want to keep their data intact, which is what the method in that guide does, probably explaining why it's such a "scutter" as you put it.

Yes, all my really important stuff - contacts, emails, SMS history, photos - is backed up in the cloud, but minor stuff - a couple of IAPs, my Temple Run 2 stats, my Tiny Thief / Broken Sword progress, etc - isn't backed up so I'd be a little miffed at losing all of that.

Good point!
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    Anyone having any luck?

It was supposed to be available yesterday however there has been no update?

I got the OTA update for my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 tonight.
  • SadmeHappySadmeHappy Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    I also got 4.3 OTA on my 303K around 21:30.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the OTA update to my Nexus 7 this morning but not to my Nexus 4. Why is that.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ney wrote: »
    I got the OTA update to my Nexus 7 this morning but not to my Nexus 4. Why is that.

Darren
    because the process is gradual.
  • bigerbiger Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    4.3 ready to update on my n4 this morning
  • steven cardwellsteven cardwell Posts: 2,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other half got 4.3 last night but no sign on mine this morning,wonder how they decide what order the phone picks up the update as I bought my Nexus 4 a month before my other half.