Options

A poor show from Christopher Eccleston

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recall (although I can't provide a source) Eccleston saying that he had been open to returning for the 50th Anniversary, but that ultimately he didn't feel that anything new was being done with the character of the 9th Doctor. Over the years, Eccleston has always expressed pride in his work on Doctor Who. Contrary to those people who believe Eccleston is contemptuous of the programme, it's very clear to me that Eccleston cared about the character he played and was proud of the role. So much so that he wasn't going to return unless something new and exciting was being done with the character of the 9th Doctor. Sadly, the 9th Doctor would never have been given more of a cameo in the 50th. So Eccleston, a busy actor who was busy filming Thor 2 earlier in the year, wasn't going to take time out to travel all the way to Cardiff for a 5 minute cameo that added nothing to a character he cared about. So he said no. Fair enough!
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I don't have to keep returning to this thread and probably shouldn't as I feel after eleven pages its all rather pointless. No one knows what happened. They whys and the wherefores. And why should we? We are viewers of the show. In this gossip led era we live in people expect to know every salacious detail of behind the scenes and production when we have no right to. What matters is what ends up on screen.

All we can go on is what we know is as close to facts and that is that they met and an amicable decision was reached. We also know and have proof both in print and on video that CE does respect the show and its fans. That's all we have. Along with the fact it is done now. He didn't appear. What else to say? Nothing.

Anything else is just tabloid whispering and conjecture. And I am sorry but attempts to make out there is some kind of battle or sides being taken between Moffat and RTD and the other Doctors is just childish playground level stuff. There is no basis in fact for any of that. For some bizarre reason certain sections of fandom seem to get off on the idea that RTD doesn't like Moffat and Tennant doesn't like Smith and Tennant had a dig at CE etc etc. Why the need to make this stuff up? When there is zero proof that its true. All evidence points to the contrary.

People need to stop making things up and stop second guessing the motivations of those people they don't know or understand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I don't have to keep returning to this thread and probably shouldn't as I feel after eleven pages its all rather pointless. No one knows what happened. They whys and the wherefores. And why should we? We are viewers of the show. In this gossip led era we live in people expect to know every salacious detail of behind the scenes and production when we have no right to. What matters is what ends up on screen.

All we can go on is what we know is as close to facts and that is that they met and an amicable decision was reached. We also know and have proof both in print and on video that CE does respect the show and its fans. That's all we have. Along with the fact it is done now. He didn't appear. What else to say? Nothing.

Anything else is just tabloid whispering and conjecture. And I am sorry but attempts to make out there is some kind of battle or sides being taken between Moffat and RTD and the other Doctors is just childish playground level stuff. There is no basis in fact for any of that. For some bizarre reason certain sections of fandom seem to get off on the idea that RTD doesn't like Moffat and Tennant doesn't like Smith and Tennant had a dig at CE etc etc. Why the need to make this stuff up? When there is zero proof that its true. All evidence points to the contrary.

People need to stop making things up and stop second guessing the motivations of those people they don't know or understand.

People aren't making things up or second guessing motivations. At least, not everyone is! I certainly wasn't with my previous post. I haven't got time to go back and check every single article or interview I've read. However my conclusions were at worst educated guesses, but generally things that have been stated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    People aren't making things up or second guessing motivations. At least, not everyone is! I certainly wasn't with my previous post. I haven't got time to go back and check every single article or interview I've read. However my conclusions were at worst educated guesses, but generally things that have been stated.

Not you at all. My post was aimed at the 'anti' CE brigade all of whom seem to be basing their dislike on nothing but their own imagination.
  • Options
    Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    IWasBored wrote: »
    Why? I think acting is more important and exciting than kicking a bit of inflatable leather around a pitch.

And what does 'chew the furniture' mean when it comes to Christopher's acting? And what does the 'pull my finger' gag mean? What does it mean when someone says that there's a white elephant in the room?

Are you for real?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not you at all. My post was aimed at the 'anti' CE brigade all of whom seem to be basing their dislike on nothing but their own imagination.

Fair enough, I misunderstood! :o
  • Options
    tszujmetszujme Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll try to find more links tomorrow when I'm not so tired, but here's a couple of quotes from Peter Davison stating that everyone who was asked to be in The Five(ish) Doctors said yes, except one person, and confirming in a different interview that that one person was Tom Baker. So unless Peter is lying and covering for some reason (and if there's one person who can be relied about to be very candid it's Peter Davison) it really looks like Chris just wasn't asked for some reason.
    "Paul [McGann] took part... all the companions... in fact, everyone we asked - with one exception - said yes, because they thought it was a great idea," the first-time director explains.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/tubetalk/a533941/doctor-who-the-inside-story-on-the-fiveish-doctors-reboot.html
    Q: Did you actually contact Tom Baker regarding a part in it?
    A: I wrote to him three times, I sent him each script by every means but he didn't answer.
    http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/peter-davison-interview.html

Btw the thing about Colin Baker claiming David Tennant was angry over being "messed around" over the special came from a thread on GallifreyBase a few months ago, he apparently said it during a Con appearance. Not in an interview. So not first hand from Colin but a few fans reported him saying that.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no reason why Chris can't make an appearance in years to come. When Moffat has finally gone and drifting in TV wilderness; and perhaps when Chris is less busy. It would be interesting to see him onscreen opposite Capaldi.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    If Davisons comments are true, then it's a poor show that Tom cannot even acknowledge Peters correspondence, but not suprising...

My only defence of Tom here is he may have been informed or "given the nod" that he'll be asked to be in the 50th, so the simplest solution is to ignore.

Perhaps Davison didn't bother to ask Ecclestone, as it would be pointless. The guy is just unnaproachable regarding anything other than "official Who"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering, was the "and for my next trick" clip from an episode, or is it unused footage?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering, was the "and for my next trick" clip from an episode, or is it unused footage?

It's from different episodes - I think the quote was from The Doctor Dances (when he upgrades the nanogenes), but the clip from a different episode (looked like The Empty Child or End Of The World at first glance) - someone no doubt will correct me on the actual episodes,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no reason why Chris can't make an appearance in years to come. When Moffat has finally gone and drifting in TV wilderness; and perhaps when Chris is less busy. It would be interesting to see him onscreen opposite Capaldi.

The 10th anniversary of 'New Who' will be in 2015. Who better than the return of the doctor who revived the Doctor in 2005?
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    The 10th anniversary of 'New Who' will be in 2015. Who better than the return of the doctor who revived the Doctor in 2005?
    No chance Chris will return for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there will be a passing mention or maybe even an episode of the series at the time making reference. But they have pushed the boat out this year. The ten anniversary is minor. Maybe a good chance to get a documentary made involving RTD though.

CE is not coming back. People would do well to leave it alone. The issue is over. Same with McGann. I know time travel works both ways but some fans need to start thinking more about the future and drop the obsession with the past.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CE is not coming back. People would do well to leave it alone. The issue is over. Same with McGann. I know time travel works both ways but some fans need to start thinking more about the future and drop the obsession with the past.

With due respect, McGann would jump at it.

There's no reason why a 'multi-doctor story' has to include the doctors in chronological order (in fact, since the show is about space & time, it's perfectly reasonable that Cap might frolic about with McGann, as it were :o).
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    I think there will be a passing mention or maybe even an episode of the series at the time making reference. But they have pushed the boat out this year. The ten anniversary is minor. Maybe a good chance to get a documentary made involving RTD though.

Actually Moffat has been teasing a little about McGann:
    First up, Steven was asked about a return for Paul McGann after the success of The Night of the Doctor, to which he replied:
    "It would be very odd to sell two Doctors at the same time. Who'd go on the lunchbox? Which would be the senior Doctor, which would be the junior Doctor? [Laughs] I think there's a problem with it now. We haven't got plans but I might deceive in order to surprise. Let's see."

Taken from this interview: http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/steven-moffat-interview.html

I never quite understood why McGann had so much love on these forums. Personally I wasn't too bothered about his portrayal in the TVM but I thought he was great in The Night of the Doctor and we haven't seen nearly enough of his Doctor so I'd certainly be up for a return.

It seems that Moffat is not completely averse to fan's wishes, being one himself. I don't think they would do another reunion so close to Tennant and Smth teaming up so I doubt it would happen in series 8, but maybe series 9? At their current rate of broadcast that would put it about the 100th anniversary anyway :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Actually Moffat has been teasing a little about McGann:

Taken from this interview: http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/steven-moffat-interview.html

I never quite understood why McGann had so much love on these forums. Personally I wasn't too bothered about his portrayal in the TVM but I thought he was great in The Night of the Doctor and we haven't seen nearly enough of his Doctor so I'd certainly be up for a return.

It seems that Moffat is not completely averse to fan's wishes, being one himself. I don't think they would do another reunion so close to Tennant and Smth teaming up so I doubt it would happen in series 8, but maybe series 9? At their current rate of broadcast that would put it about the 100th anniversary anyway :)

Yeah good point. I think maybe one day. Maybe. But not anytime soon. Much as Moffat likes to tease and puzzle I think or hope he sees Capaldi as a fresh start and he will need a strong individual season or two to establish himself. We've just been blessed with plenty of fan,pleasing references so best not to be greedy! I think some are assuming that rather than a nice one off treat the return of McGann once means its got to happen again and soon. I don't see it myself. Not that i would mind. But yeah. We just had multi doctors. It wont happen again anytime soon you would assume.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you for real?

FWhat does chew the furniture mean. And yeas, Acting is more important than football
  • Options
    RickyBRickyB Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    DanielF wrote: »
    Imagine if we'd had the internet (or, closer to the period BBS) at the time of the 20th. I bet it would have been in meltdown at the waxwork!

It was mentioned a couple of years later...

Favorite Romana and Doctor

Although there were some postings in 1983 of interest:

Five Doctors Who and Tom Baker

The Five Doctors ( **POSSIBLE SPOILER** )

although the post in the last one references Colin Baker meaning the date of December 1983 is wrong, must have been 85/86.

You can search usenet going back to 1981 at http://www.ftj.agh.edu.pl/wfitj/search/deja.html

Very interesting for seeing old posts on Doctor Who and much else!