Series 5 - something's not quite right.

13»

Comments

• FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    It's a bit like Amy's parents. They were erased - never existed. Amy was still alive although there was nobody in existence to have possibly 'begun' her. So if her parents never existed, where the hell did she come from?

So neither Amy nor Rory should have actually existed.

I'm sure that would have made some fans happy;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    It's a bit like Amy's parents. They were erased - never existed. Amy was still alive although there was nobody in existence to have possibly 'begun' her. So if her parents never existed, where the hell did she come from?

So neither Amy nor Rory should have actually existed.

I'm sure that would have made some fans happy;-)

But they existed in the 'rebooted' universe because the Doctor closed the cracks by erasing himself, thus the explosion never happened in the first place, along with the cracks. Apart from a few hangers on in TOTD.

I think. Head starting to hurt. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    Following on from the 50th I thought it was time to sit down and re watch series 1-5 on Netflix. So far I've got through 69 episode and not had much other life ;)

But there is something that bothers me. I hope there is a wibbley wobbley timey wimey explanation. but I certainly can't see it.

In S5: E9 "Cold Blood" Rory dies and is absorbed by the crack. Amy says that she will remember him because she is a time traveller but the doctor replies that she won't because Rory is part of Amys history/timeline or some such.

Leaving aside for now why everyone Amy meets is not part of her time line (she remembered the soldiers in S5: E5 "Flesh and Stone") - and lets assume its because there is a physical and/or emotional bond and that's why she forgets Rory.

So moving on to S5: E12 "The Pandorica Opens". How the hell does River still exist. As viewers we obviously don't know River is their child until much later but River is still their child, but without Rory there can be no River. Also, as far as I remember, I've not yet rewatched it, River remembers Rory. Why does she not forget him like Amy does?

I realise the program is full of paradoxes and this may be one but I'd still like to know peoples thoughts.

We already know the cracks leave orphans! Amy survived her parents being erased. River can survive one of hers being erased, too. This is precisely their MO, as established in universe.