Options

Did River always know Clara was coming as a companion?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok I don't know much about the timey wimey stuff so I just thought I'd ask

Ok so in Silence in the Library River knows the Doctors name which we seem to be close to now. So River has obviously been to the Doctors future (or past i dont know) as he didn't know her (?) so she knew the answer therefore might River have known Clara was always coming? Therefore she could be the woman in the shop as River knows the timeline the Doctor is on?

PS in the Impossible Astronaut what stage was the other Doctor at?

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    It is possible we don't know how much of the future about The Doctor she knows or how far forwards she has been for all we know she could have met The 12th-13th ect Doctors and know future companions.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Yep, it's entirely possible that River knows Clara. Or at least, it's not impossible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been assuming, that due to her odd temporal nature with the Doctor, River was having adventures with Clara before she really started hanging out Amy and Rory. I think the River we meet in the Series 7 finale will be fairly young, maybe not long after "The Wedding of River Song".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    I've been assuming, that due to her odd temporal nature with the Doctor, River was having adventures with Clara before she really started hanging out Amy and Rory. I think the River we meet in the Series 7 finale will be fairly young, maybe not long after "The Wedding of River Song".

From her point of view, she'd have to be a little girl for that to work. After all, she was hanging out with Amy and Rory as a child, and appeared to understand all along that they were her parents. Certainly, she was best friends with them right up until she transformed into the body that would come to be called River.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From her point of view, she'd have to be a little girl for that to work. After all, she was hanging out with Amy and Rory as a child, and appeared to understand all along that they were her parents. Certainly, she was best friends with them right up until she transformed into the body that would come to be called River.

No, I meant that after TWORS, which is, from a chronological point of veiw, her second episode as River, she likely started seeing the Doctor during his travels with Clara, before she started meeting him during his travels with Amy and Rory.
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think they meant in this regeneration! Not 'Mels'

I think River knows Clara, when she'll know her I don't know, no one does.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If both River and Clara are going to be in the 50th, which I am assuming is the Trenzalore episode, then if River has already experienced that, given that she's going backwards time-wise for much of the time, she was probably aware of Clara's existence as a future companion for ages.

And as she didn't think it a good idea for the Doctor to travel alone, she may have been the one to deliberately bring the Doctor and Clara together in this time period. (The woman in the shop).

I don't know if this makes sense. I know what I mean, but given River's erratic timeline, I find it hard to explain, and I don't know if it's feasible or nonsense.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To add to my earlier comment it's also possible River has met past Doctors and companions without giving herself away (maybe a disguise or perception filter) as she knows from the Doctor POV their first meeting has to be the 10th even if as of yet she doesn't know when it is for her.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    If both River and Clara are going to be in the 50th, which I am assuming is the Trenzalore episode, then if River has already experienced that, given that she's going backwards time-wise for much of the time, she was probably aware of Clara's existence as a future companion for ages.

And as she didn't think it a good idea for the Doctor to travel alone, she may have been the one to deliberately bring the Doctor and Clara together in this time period. (The woman in the shop).

I don't know if this makes sense. I know what I mean, but given River's erratic timeline, I find it hard to explain, and I don't know if it's feasible or nonsense.:)

That makes sense and I agree the most likely to be the woman in the shop is River. River knows more about the Doctor's future than anyone. She does hint (in SitL) at knowing both past and future Doctor's.
    Who provided her with the spotter's guide?
    Why did her message go to 10 and not 11? That's never been explained.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of this makes the Library meeting absolutely crazy, if you think about it. By that time River had experienced every adventure she was ever gonna have with the Doctor, across several of his incarnations (some we've yet to meet), starting with Eleven whom she sees as 'her' Doctor. She knew everything about the Doctor, including the fates of his companions, and what happens in this 50th episode (Trenzalore?) and yet she can tell him nothing.
  • Options
    dhdefenderdhdefender Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    All of this makes the Library meeting absolutely crazy, if you think about it. By that time River had experienced every adventure she was ever gonna have with the Doctor, across several of his incarnations (some we've yet to meet), starting with Eleven whom she sees as 'her' Doctor. She knew everything about the Doctor, including the fates of his companions, and what happens in this 50th episode (Trenzalore?) and yet she can tell him nothing.

Crazy but correct.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member

Spoilers

Imagine all she had to stay quiet about, I personally knowing what we know about river, she does not belong in the library taking care of imaginary children. Her life was too crazy to be domesticated like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dhdefender wrote: »
    Crazy but correct.

It's not that crazy. Given all she knows, she also knows the consequences of changing any of those events. Especially since the events at Lake Silencio. She knows how important it is to keep them to herself, no matter what.
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She didn't know everything. She didn't expect Rory to show up in new york. She didn't expect the weeping angels were going to "kill" Amy and Rory. I don't think she knows about trenzalore. 11 wouldn't tell her to protect her. If she or Clara are tehre when it goes down they could be in serious danger. We don't know if 11 or 12 is "her" doctor" who takes her on one last date before the library. I agree if he can save her he should or at least try. River deserves a better fate then that. 11 should also use her real name the one her mother his best freind gave her - Melody.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She didn't know everything. She didn't expect Rory to show up in new york. She didn't expect the weeping angels were going to "kill" Amy and Rory. I don't think she knows about trenzalore. 11 wouldn't tell her to protect her.

She never knows about things that are happening to her "there and then". How can she?

She does knows about things in the Doctor's future that she has already experienced. Whether or not River knows Clara or what happens at Trenzalore depends on where her and the Doctor's timelines intersect.

The River at the library would have known all about it, but River in Let's Kill Hitler wouldn't have had clue.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alixfowler wrote: »

PS in the Impossible Astronaut what stage was the other Doctor at?

The other Doctor in Impossible Astronaut was from The Wedding of River Song.

He had spent ~200 years after dropping off the Ponds in The God Complex having adventures (some of which were seen at the start of TIA) including some with River (Easter Island and Jim the Fish).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    The other Doctor in Impossible Astronaut was from The Wedding of River Song.

He had spent ~200 years after dropping off the Ponds in The God Complex having adventures (some of which were seen at the start of TIA) including some with River (Easter Island and Jim the Fish).

Ok thanks for that, as I said all his timey wimey stuff confuses me a bit so I'll take your word for it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    We don't know if 11 or 12 is "her" doctor" who takes her on one last date before the library.

Part of the date was actually shown in one of the DVD extras "Night and the Doctor". Look it up if you're curious!
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mightytev wrote: »
    Part of the date was actually shown in one of the DVD extras "Night and the Doctor". Look it up if you're curious!

I love how the older Doctor is non-committal about what's happening in that.

"Spoilers"
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    She didn't know everything. She didn't expect Rory to show up in new york. She didn't expect the weeping angels were going to "kill" Amy and Rory. I don't think she knows about trenzalore. 11 wouldn't tell her to protect her. If she or Clara are tehre when it goes down they could be in serious danger. We don't know if 11 or 12 is "her" doctor" who takes her on one last date before the library. I agree if he can save her he should or at least try. River deserves a better fate then that. 11 should also use her real name the one her mother his best freind gave her - Melody.

Eleven is River's Doctor. We've known this for some time. It's just some fans have chosen to ignore. She was always intended for the 11th Doctor and for the last time, her fate in unavoidable. It's not a nice one, but Library it is for River.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    . It's not a nice one, but Library it is for River.
    River has written books so she is an author, an author can create stories and then there is the publisher, the question is who is the publisher and then of course there is the distributor? :confused:

The Doctor, A myth
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eleven is River's Doctor. We've known this for some time. It's just some fans have chosen to ignore. She was always intended for the 11th Doctor and for the last time, her fate in unavoidable. It's not a nice one, but Library it is for River.

While 11 is her Doctor there is still a good possibility that she has been more forwards into The Doctors future and met 12-13 or even more
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    River has written books so she is an author, an author can create stories and then there is the publisher, the question is who is the publisher and then of course there is the distributor? :confused:

The Doctor, A myth

And this happened I assume before the Library.

She wrote one book for a plot purpose. I think Amy was the one who probably wrote more books.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And this happened I assume before the Library.

She wrote one book for a plot purpose. I think Amy was the one who probably wrote more books.
    So what if the Pond Family produce a lot of books and they all end up in the Library :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    So what if the Pond Family produce a lot of books and they all end up in the Library :D

There's a thought.:D