Options

If Big Brother was a BBC show...

Comments

• Options
    jaqjaq Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Probably would have ran it for a couple of series then sold it to Sky at the height of its success for a vast amount of money.
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Chief wrote: »
    Yeah cos Jerry Springer the Opera was a safe, comfy choice and certainly didn't provoke any controversy.

Didn't know anything about that programme. Ah well, my comment means nothing then.

The only thing I actually tune into occasionally on Beeb is Strictly Come Dancing, so I know nothing about what else the Beeb show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there a rumour going around that the BBC were thinking of buying it?
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    icefall wrote: »
    If BB was a bbc show, there would be no swearing or unseemly displays of emotion shown. :D Everyone would be wearing suits, there would be hardly any accents ;):cool: (apart from London of course) the show would not last longer than a few weeks either and there would be no live feed :(.

In short it would not be the bb we know and love today on the beeb. :p

Torchwood has swear words and in the first series and some of the second.. a few of them a lot worse worse than you hear on big brother.

They could always bleep out ones that went over their quota or were completely unacceptable.

But I can't see the public being happy with it.

The rest we already see in BB anyway, except they don't wear suits lol.
  • Options
    pammi_ipammi_i Posts: 6,851
    Forum Member
    If it was a BBC show I would certainly demand a cut in my licence fee!

Actually, I wouldn't. Although I obviously do watch it and did enjoy it this year, right up until it was clear that Rachel was never going to be treated properly by the morons on the production team, I probabaly wouldn't bother with a TV at all if our premier broadcasters were wasting their time churning out that sort of rubbish day and night.
  • Options
    RelugusRelugus Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC, because of its public service remit, would not be able to get away with the kind of bias Channel 4 indulges in. Davina, had she been working for the BBC, would have been sacked for her treatment of Rachel.

Thats not to say the BBC would not be biased. Its likely that any Muslim or gay HM would get a very good edit indeed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    It would never happen, Channel 4 has always been the channel for shocking and stooping to depths which the BBC would never plunge to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,259
    Forum Member
    linnylou wrote: »
    Didn't know anything about that programme. Ah well, my comment means nothing then.

The only thing I actually tune into occasionally on Beeb is Strictly Come Dancing, so I know nothing about what else the Beeb show.
    Twas a musical they showed a couple of years ago.
    I thought it was quite amusing really - a parody of the Springer show and religion (with a fair bit of swearing) but it received the most complaints ever for a TV programme... before it had even been shown!!. :rolleyes:

I think it ended up with around 50,000 complaints to offcom.
  • Options
    ItsAnObsessionItsAnObsession Posts: 2,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If BB was a BBC show it would defo have higher ratings.. BBC shows get upto 10 million viewers.
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    Big Brother on the BBC

shown every Monday, Wednesday and Friday on BBC1

BBC2, weeknights at 6:30, Big Brother's Little Brother, with Claudia Winkleman.

A Sunday night eviction special presented by Natasha Kaplinksy.

I think I'd prefer the C4 version (apart from Claudia, she'd be great on BBLB!)
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Chief wrote: »
    Twas a musical they showed a couple of years ago.
    I thought it was quite amusing really - a parody of the Springer show and religion (with a fair bit of swearing) but it received the most complaints ever for a TV programme... before it had even been shown!!. :rolleyes:

I think it ended up with around 50,000 complaints to offcom.

I can well believe the complaints for JS. I'm surprised they even considered showing it - did someone have too many sherries when they agreed to it? :D

That's why I couldn't comprehend Beeb showing BB - too many headaches for them to cope with :p

I like BB on Ch4, it just makes sense to keep it there.
  • Options
    thekingsheadthekingshead Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    ...Rachel would have been considered a worthy winner. Thankfully Big Brother will never appear on the BBC.

Rachel is a deserving winner but people cannot accept that

BBC would never take Big Brother from Channel 4 their credebility would be taken away from them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the Beeb showed BB instead of Channel 4 and it was on BBC2 in the start of the series. I guess it might have been shown on BBC1 by now if that was the case like many BBC2 shows that moved to BBC1.

And?......
  • Options
    Annie27Annie27 Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who owns channel 4 ???? is it not a goverment run channel ? designed to brainwash the masses keep them distracted from real issues !......just wondering !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'd never have been a success either ... I imagine it to be like Castaway,a half hearted attempt at what is a great idea.

I really enjoyed Castaway, but what ruined it for me was they kept changing the times around, so I kept missing episodes. The Beeb have a habit of doing that. Previous series of Masterchef being a classic example, when they kept moving it backwards and forwards by half an hour/an hour to accommodate other programmes and sports coverage etc. Used to drive me nuts! As for Castaway, I agree it was a half hearted attempt at what could have been a great programme.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sarah2 wrote: »
    It would never happen, Channel 4 has always been the channel for shocking and stooping to depths which the BBC would never plunge to.

Funny.

The BBC have jumped on more bandwagons than John Wayne. They would love to have had a show as iconic as Big Brother.

Maybe too late now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    There would have been widespread outrage that TV licence money was spent on this stuff - instead of just handing it all over to Jonathan Ross's stylist like they normally do.
  • Options
    Annie27Annie27 Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annie27 wrote: »
    Who owns channel 4 ???? is it not a goverment run channel ? designed to brainwash the masses keep them distracted from real issues !......just wondering !

So I ask again who owns channel 4 ...?????
  • Options
    anonyyanonyy Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it would be too pc if it was a bbc show and probably wouldn't have lasted.
  • Options
    CaptainCiderCaptainCider Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Living Soap was on the BBC,it was the forerunner to all Reality TV shows since,as it was if i remember correctly the first to throw random strangers (students) into a house and the first have a diary room.

It was a real life soap in as much as they were filmed doing what they would normally do,so there were no tasks,no engineered group splits,no starving of the house mates for our entertainment (something that seems to have become a staple of all reality shows unfortunately).

It was on BBC2 and was quite popular at the time,there was a house mate called spider who became the first ever reality tv hate figure.
  • Options
    MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Living Soap was on the BBC,it was the forerunner to all Reality TV shows since,as it was if i remember correctly the first to throw random strangers (students) into a house and the first have a diary room.

It was a real life soap in as much as they were filmed doing what they would normally do,so there were no tasks,no engineered group splits,no starving of the house mates for our entertainment (something that seems to have become a staple of all reality shows unfortunately).

It was on BBC2 and was quite popular at the time,there was a house mate called spider who became the first ever reality tv hate figure.

I remember that! Ha! I remember pretending to people I met my nickname was spider because I thought that sounded cool. I was only 13 so it's forgivable.
  • Options
    td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no way the government would ever allow the BBC to show BB. It's too "dumb" by their high-class standards! At least we wouldn't have to put up with those annoying sponsor clips when thye cut to and from a commercial break!
  • Options
    KFAKFA Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Myleene Klass would present it.
  • Options
    Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    That will be the day!
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KFA wrote: »
    ...Myleene Klass would present it.
    Well ..... every cloud does have a silver lining :)