degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think this thread was started prematurely :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Haha agreed, was bloomin' roasting outside today and still too hot now.

But, for when it does start to get cold, I like to make chicken and vegetable soup. If i'm feeling ok then i'll do it from scratch but if not, i'll just get some cream of chicken soup in a tin and bang a load of extra stuff in.

Oh, and home baked cookies, just perfect for munching on when curled up in a blanket with a cuppa.
  • Options
    mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:p:p:p

It wasn't my fault the Indian summer got in the way!!
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :p:p:p

It wasn't my fault the Indian summer got in the way!!

Well, before it got too hot, I made a chicken, leek and bacon pie... low fat version of course using poached chicken, a small handful of bacon lardons, a leek softened in a tbsp of oil, white sauce and topped with sliced potato.

It was bloomin gorgeous!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soooo now the Indian summer has gone and we are all waiting for the snow (:D) how are your winter warmers coming along? My slow cooker had its first outing this year and I made sausage casserole for tea last night and served it in giant Yorkshire puddings!!!!!

Hello jojo:) I was just looking back at a thread from 2 years ago about making Christmas goodies!! How are you?
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello mummpigget, I'm good thanks, haven't seen you here for a while.

Well since that last pie I made, I've made nothing else that could be thought of as a winter warmer... I'm still eating salads! Need to find some healthy recipes so I don't feel like I'm missing out on all the lovely stews and things, though I do make lots of soups.

That sausage casserole in a massive yorkshire pudding sounds yummy. :)

I'm starting to think about Christmas goodies now, was looking up homemade chocolate recipes last night in fact! I have a week off shortly so will make a Christmas cake for my dad then but feel the need to get organised and know what I'm going to be making for people this year.

Oh, I do love food!
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Home made soups with crusty bread
    Mince and tatties
    Stovies
    Beef/chicken/sausage casseroles
    Mince/steak pie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jojo01 wrote: »
    Hello mummpigget, I'm good thanks, haven't seen you here for a while.

Well since that last pie I made, I've made nothing else that could be thought of as a winter warmer... I'm still eating salads! Need to find some healthy recipes so I don't feel like I'm missing out on all the lovely stews and things, though I do make lots of soups.

That sausage casserole in a massive yorkshire pudding sounds yummy. :)

I'm starting to think about Christmas goodies now, was looking up homemade chocolate recipes last night in fact! I have a week off shortly so will make a Christmas cake for my dad then but feel the need to get organised and know what I'm going to be making for people this year.

Oh, I do love food!

I have been so busy recently, infact this whole year has flown by, I've done a couple of family learning courses with my eldest at school, it's so parents know the learning methods used by teachers. I also passed my driving test, I was learning for 4 and half months. I was also maid of honour at my best friends wedding an made the top tier of her wedding cake. I am finally beginning to relax!

I can't wait to make my tomato soup, it's far better than tinned stuff!

For Christmas this year I'm hopefully going to attempt a Christmas cookie tree :D
  • Options
    missymorganmissymorgan Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since then I have made:

Carrot soup
    Squash and sweet potato soup
    Beef stew in red wine with lentils

They're our main 'warmers' although will be trying a few different things if we get a real cold snap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Im having my winter warmer tonight for tea , it warms me up and hopefully gets rid of this headache i have :D
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    My mum's vegetable soup. I think I eat more vegetables in 3 bowls of that than I do the entire year. :D

Stew as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm making chile con carne tonight. I don't see why that can't be considered a winter warmer. It is a slow cooked spicy mince & onions
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'n cooking a steak, guinness and cheese pie tomorrow using Jamie Oliver's recipe.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/steak-guinness-cheese-pie-with-a-puf
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Beef, shallot, thyme and red wine hotpot is a favourite. I adapted it a bit from a James Martin receipe. Slow cooked for about 3 hours until the meat falls apart and served with mash and winter greens. Yum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did one of our favourite winter warmers tonight - meat and potato pie, with pickled beetroot on the side, it was delish :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stovies
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stew. My favourite from last year was a lamb pepperpot stew.
    I think it's become cold enough to crack this one out. It the right time of year and weather for a nice tradition lamb stew but with that extra spicy kick.
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turkey and lentil stew with crusty brown rolls. Absolutely delicious, and warms you up.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bangers and Mash with fried Onions and gravy
  • Options
    Special K_Special K_ Posts: 6,320
    Forum Member
    casseroles again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    going to make a nice slow braised beef dish with a rich red wine sauce tonight. Not quite a roast but definately a heavier steak dish for the cold weather.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soup for breakfast. Can't beat it. :D