Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Maybe they will be bold this Easter and launch a top drama like you suggest. But with Shetland also pencilled in to air over Easter too it is a pretty full schedule this year:

Good Friday:

8.00pm EastEnders
    8.30 Have I Got News For You
    9.00 Shetland
    10.30 BBC News
    10.50 The Graham Norton Show

Shetland is 2 x 60
    HIGNFY doesn't return until the week after.
    wizzywick wrote: »
    But with Shetland also pencilled in to air over Easter too it is a pretty full schedule this year:

Is it?
    i reckon lewis will beat the penguin doc, im not saying they will lose the slots, im just saying its a weak line up compared to the rest of january!!!

So? The thread is long enough without the obvious being pointed out at every stage and this schedule has been posted at least twice already.
    Were you expecting natural history, 4 nights of drama and two 9pm comedies every week to continue? :rolleyes:.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    CBB11 Official average - 2.81m
    Finale rating - 3.61m

Includes +1

Full breakdown:
    http://i.imgur.com/4zCue03.jpg
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Shetland is 2 x 60

Is it?

So? The thread is long enough without the obvious being pointed out at every stage and this schedule has been posted at least twice already.
    Were you expecting natural history, 4 nights of drama and two 9pm comedies every week to continue? :rolleyes:.

Yet again your superiority complex demonstrates how rude you are.
  • Options
    mrstreetcredmrstreetcred Posts: 6,677
    Forum Member
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Shetland is 2 x 60

Is it?

The obvious being pointed out at every stage.....Really??? Everyday people post this did strong and that did weak, if we're gonna stop pointing out the obvious we may aswell stop posting.

All I was saying that in just one week you've gone from 7 out of 7 strong 9pm slots to just 2, being casualty and d.i.p!!!
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What were some saying that the Superbowl could suffer due to the late finish? @marcberman: Super Bowl XVLII Overnights: An estimated record 48.2 rating/70 share on CBS, which is 13% above Super Bowl XVLI on NBC
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a huge fan of Thunderbirds I'm quite worried about a new series. I thought the Captain Scarlett revival was terrible! I would hate to see Thunderbirds go the same way and have its legacy turnished.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    I am sure, do yours include HD? Mine include HD and are tape checked.

mine include HD, it must be the tape check then

a bit surprising (well to me :D)
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    What were some saying that the Superbowl could suffer due to the late finish? @marcberman: Super Bowl XVLII Overnights: An estimated record 48.2 rating/70 share on CBS, which is 13% above Super Bowl XVLI on NBC
    The Super Bowl itself was never going to suffer with a late finish. Elementary (which followed it) on the other hand... It got a 12 in the metered markets. Not great. And I'm not convinced that'll hold.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is interesting - more info and indicative schedules for the local TV channels, which will occupy Freeview channel 8.

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/tv-broadcast-licences/local/awards/
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    It makes no sense.

Firstly the idea that by airing a show, any show, in a prominent slot a broadcaster is somehow obligated to bring it back for another series is essentially the argument people make here and it doesn't make any sense. 'BBC3 can't possibly air Being Human at 9PM on Sunday night because in doing so they'd have no choice but to renew it for another series that they can't afford...' That's the logic you're using here and its nonsensical.

Secondly the idea that having spent what little budget they have on a show a broadcaster is going to purposefully bury it in a slot designed to make sure no one sees it is also pretty nonsensical. Especially when that show is one with a track record on the channel and a proven audience.

Being Human is at 10PM on Sunday because they (rightly) didn't want to air it against Ripper Street and Mr Selfridge. I suspect BBC3 was actually in a lose-lose-lose spot here. They move it an hour later and they're burying it. Had they kept it at 9PM they'd have been burying it against big drama competition on BBC1 and ITV. Had they delayed the series to start after Ripper Street and Mr Selfridge had ended then they'd be burying it by moving it out of its usual Q1 slot. People have already decided on what the BBC3 narrative should be and they're going to find anyway they can to make it stick.

On the subject of Lip Service I suspect they regretted ordering a second series. It wasn't massively popular first time around and there was a good 18 or so months between series 1 and 2. In truth they probably could have put it in absolutely any slot and the audience wouldn't have found it. But even then I don't think they set out with any intention to bury this stuff. Its not in their or anyone else's best interest to do that. Broadcasters don't set out to tank their own shows. As much as fans of certain shows might desperately want to believe otherwise.

You're missing the point entirely.

I'm not saying that BH should have aired at 9pm. It could have aired at 9pm after Ripper Street finishes airing (which is only a few weeks away now) - after all, it aired at 9pm previously and survived very respectably.

I'm saying BBC Three is pursuing a strategy to give its outstanding drama commission a lower profile because it can't afford to order any more in the current climate. If it makes a big fanfare about this, it pushes the general content of BBC Three (which has long been a soft target for the Corporation's enemies) into the spotlight.

This reduced order of BH is the channel's last original drama commission. It follows a reboot last year which was not as successful a transition as it might have been. So what better way to let the show fade away then give it a low profile slot than it used to have? The fact remains that BBC Three doesn't have the money to fund original drama, because of the Delivering Quality First cuts. The Fades aired to great acclaim and even won a BAFTA - but wasn't recomissioned - because the piggy bank is empty.

And broadcasters don't set out to tank their own shows? Really? How would you describe the scheduling of Sugartown, for instance? That's just one example. ITV is sitting on a raft of dramas that will never see the light of day because it has no confidence in them - shows that will never even make a schedule.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    this is good news, shame we need to wait till 2015. I also hope its scheulded better than the recent (and excellent) Captain Scarlet series.

Call the Midwife continues to do really well, there is no older women, who are not watching Call The Midwife.

Shame that Mr Selfridges and Ripper Street, continue to dent each other, hopefully this will be fixed in S2.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superbowl recorded a household rating of 48.1 in metered markets last night; the highest meter market figures in Superbowl history. Bear in mind that the below are preliminary figures only; once the time zone adjustments have been made there will be changes.

Superbowl XLVIII Preliminary Breakdown
    7.00: 108.55m (38.5)
    8.00: 110.50m (39.4)
    8.30: 95.43m (34.5) - blackout from 8.40pm
    9.00: 95.43m (34.5) - game restarted around 9.15pm
    9.30: 93.22m (35.2)
    10.00: 89.25m (34.0)
    10.30 (inc. Post Game): 77.03m (29.7)

ABC
    7.00 America's Funniest Home Videos (R): 2.13m (0.4)
    8.00 America's Funniest Home Videos (R): 2.59m (0.6)
    9.00 Shark Tank (R): 1.77m (0.6)
    10.00 Modern Family (R): 1.41m (0.5)
    10.30 Modern Family (R): 1.80m (0.6)

FOX
    7.00 Bob's Burgers (R): 0.74m (0.3)
    7.30 The Cleveland Show (R): 0.96m (0.4)
    8.00 The Simpsons (R): 1.91m (0.8)
    8.30 Bob's Burgers (R): 1.74m (0.7)
    9.00 Family Guy (R): 1.97m (0.9)
    9.30 American Dad (R): 1.7m (0.8)

NBC
    7.00 Betty White's Off Their Rockers (R): 1.40m (0.3)
    7.30 Betty White's Off Their Rockers (R): 1.31m (0.3)
    8.00 Betty White's Off Their Rockers (R): 1.93m (0.5)
    8.30 Betty White's Off Their Rockers (R): 1.94m (0.5)
    9.00-11.00 Live From New York: The First Five Years of SNL (R): 1.96m (0.5)

Awaiting time zone adjusted figures for Elementary as it started after 11pm.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisr21 wrote: »
    The fact that it was repeated on each of the 4 days following the initial broadcast probably helped figures rise. Wondering if anybody has those figures available?

The Following's first week figures are excellent. The premiere showing rose fro 270k > 908k in the officials.

Other showings across the week got 334k, 174k and 121k. On +1 159k, 19k, 19k and 17k

So a total of 1.751m and that doesn't include all showings.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    I was very wrong about the Super Bowl ratings then :o! But it sounds like Elementary rated quite low as expected.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splash!'s success is an enigma. On the one hand it is good to see ITV finally having success with an entertainment format. I didn't watch it, wasnt my cup of tea. But on the other hand, it clearly demonstrates the evident lack of quality entertainment shows on the BBC especially, but also on ITV. It could be argued that the last months Saturday night TV has been bad. And in reality Splash! was the best of the bad. It will be interesting to see what the BBC can come up with between now and Splash's second series and only then will we see just how popular the show is or isn't!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In metered household markets, the post Superbowl episode of Elementary averaged 12.0 and is on track to be the show's biggest audience to date and highest rated in key demographics...though maybe it wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to work out that would happen...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UK Overnight Ratings: Sunday 4th February 2013

BBC One
    14.25 Live Six Nations Rugby Union: Italy v France: 3.06m (19.5%)
    18.00 BBC News: 5.58m
    18.30 Blandings: 3.71m (15.7%)
    19.00 Countryfile: 6.90m (27.1%)
    20.00 Call the Midwife: 9.22m (31.4%)
    * Increase of 0.5m week-on-week
    21.00 Ripper Street: 5.1m (20.1%)
    22.00 BBC News: 4.39m (21%)

BBC Two
    20.00 Top Gear: 5.2m (17.7%)
    inc. 1.06m on HD; a new non-sports record
    21.00 Wonders of Life: 2.66m (10.5%)
    Last week: 3.1m
    22.00 Brian Cox's A Night With The Stars (R): 1.6m (8.9%)
    23.00-02.00 Superbowl XLVIII: 570k (7.6%)
    * Peak: 800,000

ITV
    15.05 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: 2.96m (17.7%)
    18.15 Dancing on Ice: 6.73m (27.4%); +1: 179k
    19.45 All Star Family Fortunes: 5.14m (17.1%)
    20.30 Dancing on Ice: 5.4m (18.1%);+1: 255k
    21.00 Mr. Selfridge: 5.59m (22.0%); +1: 497k

Channel 4
    20.00 The Hotel: 1.48m (5%); +1: 354k
    21.00 Source Code: 1.4m (inc. +1: 1.7m)

Channel 5
    17.30 The Witches: 818k (3.5%); +1: 106k
    21.00 Person of Interest: 0.7m

BBC Three
    22.00 Being Human: 731k (4%)
    * Most watched multi-channel offering in primetime
    2009 launch: 380k
    2010 launch: 1.41m
    2011 launch: 1.37m
    2012 launch: 1.1m

23.00 Family Guy: 600k (5%)

BBC Four
    21.00 Frank Sinatra: The Voice of the Century - Agenda: 723k (3.1%)

ITV2
    12.50 Nanny McPhee: 584k (5%) inc. +1
    17.40 Back to the Future Part III: 602k (2.5%) inc. +1
    21.00 The Magaluf Weekend: 689k; +1: 206k

E4
    18.00 The Big Bang Theory: 621k (2.7%) inc. +1
    18.30 The Big Bang Theory: 682k (2.9%) inc. +1

More4
    19.55 Grand Designs: 0.25m inc. +1

Film4
    21.00 Assault on Precinct 13: 0.25m inc. +1

Watch
    22.00 Traffic Cops: 0.17m

Dave
    21.00 QI: 0.4m

Yesterday
    18.10 Catherine Cookson's Tilly Trotter: 0.24m

Sky Sports 1
    13.00 Live Ford Super Sunday: 1.15m (9.1%)
    15.30 Live Ford Super Sunday: 1.95m (10.2%)
    22.30-01.00 Superbowl XLVIII: 233,000 (3.1%)
    * Peak: 324,000

Primetime Share
    BBC One: 25.1%
    ITV: 20% (+1: 1.1%)
    BBC Two: 10%
    Channel 4: 5.1%
    Channel 5: 3.1% (+1: 0.5%)

Sources: DS; MediaGuardian, TVRatingsUK; ITV Media; Channel 4 Media Sales; Mike Teevee/ronant
  • Options
    bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0.731k is still good for Being Human, isn't it?

Hollyoaks had four episodes in Channel 4's Top 30 for the week beginning 21st January. The highest had 1.45m! Furthermore, two episodes rated above 1 million on E4, 1.25m and 1.07m! Channel 4 should be happy with that.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,232
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »

It's barely been a week - but I'm glad it's been recommissioned.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    0.731k is still good for Being Human, isn't it?

Hollyoaks had four episodes in Channel 4's Top 30 for the week beginning 21st January. The highest had 1.45m! Furthermore, two episodes rated above 1 million on E4, 1.25m and 1.07m! Channel 4 should be happy with that.

Up on the first series, down on the last 3, I think. But if I remember rightly the first series was only other series to air at 10.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    I'm not saying that BH should have aired at 9pm. It could have aired at 9pm after Ripper Street finishes airing (which is only a few weeks away now) - after all, it aired at 9pm previously and survived very respectably.
    But as you mention last year the transition to the new cast resulted in a ratings drop so clearly throwing it out at 9PM opposite heavy hitting drama competition on BBC1 and/or ITV simply wasn't an option. Delaying until after Ripper Street has finished would push the launch back to March 3 at the earliest although it would still be up against Mr Selfridge so its likely they'd actually want to delay until that's finished which would have it debuting March 17 at the earliest. For the record that would be around the date you'd usually be expecting it to finish its series not start it. And that assumes that the BBC and/or ITV don't have other big projects lined up for Sunday nights after Ripper Street and Mr Selfridge come to an end. The BBC will presumably be looking to launch The White Queen at or around Easter which potentially causes problems for Being Human if its not starting until mid-late March. It would also get completely lost amongst promotion for Doctor Who, The Voice and whatever other big hitters BBC1 is rolling out in Q2.

Also you probably have to take into account the BBC3 schedule itself and whether pushing Being Human into Q2 is actually viable for them. It probably isn't a great idea. Sunday 10PM is by far and away the best slot BBC3 could give Being Human this year.
    I'm saying BBC Three is pursuing a strategy to give its outstanding drama commission a lower profile because it can't afford to order any more in the current climate. If it makes a big fanfare about this, it pushes the general content of BBC Three (which has long been a soft target for the Corporation's enemies) into the spotlight.
    Although what you actually said was that the show had been moved to 10PM to 'bury it' because they couldn't afford another series. That isn't even close to the same thing as saying that BBC3 is being given a lower profile in the midst of budget cuts so that it doesn't become a target for further cuts or anti-BBC sentiment. I don't completely disagree with that although I don't think Being Human actually fits that general chain of thought. Since it started it has been one of the big plus points in favour of the channel.
    This reduced order of BH is the channel's last original drama commission. It follows a reboot last year which was not as successful a transition as it might have been. So what better way to let the show fade away then give it a low profile slot than it used to have? The fact remains that BBC Three doesn't have the money to fund original drama, because of the Delivering Quality First cuts. The Fades aired to great acclaim and even won a BAFTA - but wasn't recomissioned - because the piggy bank is empty.
    No one has disputed that the BBC3 budget has been cut and is now incredibly tight. Neither is anyone disputing that its entirely possible/likely that they simply won't be able to afford another series of Being Human. What's being disputed is that they're burying a series they've already paid for because they can't afford to commission another one.

On the subject of The Fades I think its interesting that people always tend to overlook that it didn't perform very well. Yes critics liked it and yes it won a BAFTA (although that seemed to be almost entirely out of protest for it not getting a second series) but from what I remember despite a rather sizeable marketing campaign the audience wasn't all that big. But I'm sure whether people were actually watching the show wasn't really factored into the decision making process...
    And broadcasters don't set out to tank their own shows? Really? How would you describe the scheduling of Sugartown, for instance? That's just one example. ITV is sitting on a raft of dramas that will never see the light of day because it has no confidence in them - shows that will never even make a schedule.
    Sugartown aired at 10:35 on BBC1 that's hardly tanking it and from memory wasn't exactly ignored by the BBC leading up to its debut either. And not airing a show because it turns out its a bit rubbish isn't the same a scheduling a show to die.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,232
    Forum Member
    Looking into whether BGT should air the semi-finals over a normal week again, out of interest - In the past 2-3 years, have any of the soaps hit 10m in the summer?
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Looking into whether BGT should air the semi-finals over a normal week again, out of interest - In the past 2-3 years, have any of the soaps hit 10m in the summer?

Don't thinks so. Long gone those days I'm afraid.

Ken
This discussion has been closed.