Stagger the Adverts

extraextraextraextra Posts: 321
Forum Member
When flicking through the channels when the adverts come on, I'm surprised that adverts are not staggered throughout the hour on commercial TV. So if your watching Daybreak as an example which is a two hour plus programme and you hit the adverts I change to the +1 channel, I just keep clicking to a programme that is not showing commercials, often not returning to my original selection, if you see what I mean?

Comments

• Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Hang on, so when the ads are on Daybreak you go back and watch part of Daybreak you watched an hour previously?

Very odd.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the show with the earliest ad break loses the most viewers? I'm not sure you've really thought this through.
  • extraextraextraextra Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    No, my argument is that all commercial TV tends to show there adverts at say 10/ 20/ 40 minutes past each hour, if they had the next hours ads at 15/30/50 minutes past each hour you wouldn't hit adverts when flicking through the channels. So in a two hour programme like Daybreak I could flick between the +1 and the live channel. I'm probably not explaining it very well! Apologies.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    But why do you watch bits of the same programme you already watched an hour earlier?
  • human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're asking programme makers to arrange their advert breaks to make it easier for you to change channels and watch something else? Really?
  • wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They want you to watch the ads because it's what their advertisers want.

Though I also wish ad breaks were staggered.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would the channel comply with COSTA???
    or are you suggesting total deregulation?

But with a mathematical hat on as adverts are 12 min per hour and probably another 5 mins of interstitials trails - there is only a 3 in 4 chance that when you turn your TV on there will be a programme!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only answer is to abandon watching live programmes on commercial channels altogether and record them instead. At least you can then skip the ads. I agree with you; I absolutely hate the adverts and make a point of avoiding them as a matter of principle.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On commercial channels the programmes are just an inconvenience filling in time between adverts. I used to sometimes have to turn off transmitters for short periods, on the BBC you would normally wait for a programme junction and try to do the switching before the next programme started but it was preferred that you switch off during programmes on ITV rather than interrupt the adverts!
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,989
    Forum Member
    Aren't the broadcasters merely complying with OFCOMs rules?

What exactly is OFCOM's role and who comes first, is it the broadcasters, advertisers or viewers? When the rules regarding ads were changed were viewers consulted, did OFCOM investigate the finances of TV stations, did viewers request longer ad breaks, sponsorships and product placement?

At what point, if ever, would OFCOM declare there is too much advertising spoiling the viewing experience or will there be an ever increasing amount of advertising and less programme content?

Whatever happened to 'natural breaks', is there evidence viewers these days prefer their programmes abruptly interrupted with ads?
    Forum Member
    I keep using Daybreak as an example, but what I do is watch live from 8.30 then when it gets to the advert or competition I jump to channel 33 on freeview (itv+1) to watch the 7.30 part, then if I hit the adverts or competition as I switch then I'm off, but yes I'd rather watch a shopping channel than an ad break one, there is no answer just an observation.
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »

What exactly is OFCOM's role and who comes first, is it the broadcasters, advertisers or viewers? When the rules regarding ads were changed were viewers consulted, did OFCOM investigate the finances of TV stations, did viewers request longer ad breaks, sponsorships and product placement?

At what point, if ever, would OFCOM declare there is too much advertising spoiling the viewing experience or will there be an ever increasing amount of advertising and less programme content?

Whatever happened to 'natural breaks', is there evidence viewers these days prefer their programmes abruptly interrupted with ads?

Exactly :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    The only answer is to abandon watching live programmes on commercial channels altogether and record them instead. At least you can then skip the ads. I agree with you; I absolutely hate the adverts and make a point of avoiding them as a matter of principle.
    While I and many others also make a point of recording programmes to skip the ads, I don't have a sense of entitlement to free television from commercial broadcasters. I'm fully aware that I'm circumventing the mechanism which funds my viewing. But at least I'm honest about it and don't pretend there's a "matter of principle" involved.

What exactly is your "matter of principle"? Is it the principle that viewers are somehow owed something for nothing?
    Forum Member

Yes indeed, if there's conflicting programmes on I'll always pick the one without ads.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I always assumed that ad breaks deliberately converged to prevent channel hopping by viewers trying to avoid them. Like lundavra alludes to, these channels exist to show ads. If it were that easy to channel hop when ads start the value of the ads would fall, to both the advertisers and the broadcasters.
  • tonycollins100tonycollins100 Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only answer is to abandon watching live programmes on commercial channels altogether and record them instead. At least you can then skip the ads.
    We often also do this in our house. We use our sky+ box to reschedule programmes to suit our viewing requirements. Also if there are two clashing programmes that we wish to watch, we will invariably watch the BBC programme live and then the commercial channel later, with the ads at the x12 rate.
    I agree with you; I absolutely hate the adverts and make a point of avoiding them as a matter of principle.

I don't HATE the ads but they are sometimes a nuisance. If the ads weren't there, neither would the programms be. I guess the advertisers accept that some people do what we do, but they obviously think the "hit rate" is high enough.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt that there are rules that define the precise to-the-minute start/end time of commercial breaks within a particular hour.

CH-A...PPPPP*PPPPP*PPPPP*PPPPP
    CH-B...PPPPPP*PPPPP*PPPPP*PPPPP

[Where "P" is the programme and "*" is the ad break]

The above example means if viewers abandoned CH-A and went a-flickin' during the adverts, then CH-B would have actual programme content when viewers stumbled upon it (rather than adverts as well)

Thus picking up some extra viewers!

Of course, CH-B will eventually have a commercial break. If people flick around during it's commercial break they will find all the other channels now have actual programme content!

So it's actually not such a good idea.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It amuses me that some channels set something so you cannot use the PVR's SKIP in the adverts of a recorded programme but they put the sponsorship at the start and end of the adverts so you can just fast forward until you see that. There is usually so much waffle at the start of each section of the programme that it is not worth going back to to get the exact start.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Who remembers about 10 or so years ago when ITV used to show about 5 mins of adverts before each show? everything ran late. I remember setting my VCR to record things and had 5 mins of ads and the last 5 mins of the prog I wanted to see cut off so in the end I used to add on 5 mins to the prog so that I could see it all. I remember they got lots of complaints and now it doesn't seem as bad. Back then the ads were 15 mins in the middle of a half hour prog and half an hour in the middle of an hour prog as opposed to every few mins like most shows are now!.
  • Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since there is lots of talk about rules here, I'll just post a link to "COSTA" (Code On the Scheduling of Television
    Advertising), which technologist has made reference to, so people can read what the rules actually are:
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/other-codes/tacode.pdf
    i4u wrote: »

I think OFCOM sees itself as having to strike an equal balance between the interests of all 3 parties.
    Funk You wrote: »
    Who remembers about 10 or so years ago when ITV used to show about 5 mins of adverts before each show? everything ran late. I remember setting my VCR to record things and had 5 mins of ads and the last 5 mins of the prog I wanted to see cut off so in the end I used to add on 5 mins to the prog so that I could see it all. I remember they got lots of complaints and now it doesn't seem as bad. Back then the ads were 15 mins in the middle of a half hour prog and half an hour in the middle of an hour prog as opposed to every few mins like most shows are now!.

Not quite true. Up until about 15 years ago, you would get 2 breaks in the middle of an hour-long show (as opposed to 3 now), at around 20 and 40 minutes into it.

But then commercial broadcasters decided to push the rules to their limits and schedule more adverts at peak times - up to 12 minutes per hour instead of the average 9 minutes. Trouble was programmes were still of a length suited to the old advertising regime (as many programmes are made long before they're broadcast), around 51 minutes per hour, when showing 12 minutes of adverts, which led to what you've mentioned: programmes running very late as each evening went on. I remember programmes routinely being up to 10 minutes late on ITV(1) when you got to around 10pm or 11pm each night. These were never apologised for, as they were deliberately that late. And broadcasters these days don't like having programmes start at 9:05pm or 10:10pm on weekdays - it just doesn't look very neat. Maybe you'd get 11:05pm start times, particularly on Channel 4, I remember, but only because it was assumed people were on their way to bed by then, so it wouldn't matter very much. Only when programmes were made shorter, to more like 46 minutes per hour, to accommodate all the adverts scheduled for a particular time slot, did programmes start to run more to time again.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watching a programme I had on TIVO from Alibi and normally if I fast forward it is 4 mins and lots of other channels maybe 4 mins 30 but this time it was 6 mins which is ridicuous.
  • BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back to the original observation, whilst staggering the commercials might seem like shooting themselves in the foot from the point of channel hopping, I find it sometimes works in reverse if switching from a commercial free channel or switching on from cold.
    If I don't look in my TV mag or bother to press "Guide", I sometimes like to browse up and down the channels until I find something I like.
    In that instance, I quickly bypass all channels showing adverts until I find a real programme, often on the likes of Film 4 or Movies4Men.
    In that instance, had they being showing an actual programme I might well have settled on one of theirs, before getting to the programme I actual settle on, especially bearing in mind that, on my Freesat system, the movie channels are all in the 300s whereas I'll likely start from 101 and work upwards.
  • GRCGRC Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Given a scenario of 'switching the TV on and looking for something, anything, to watch whilst stopping for a cuppa or a sandwich', it's very frustrating to come in on the hour, the quarter, half or three-quarter, and be unable to find anything but adverts.

Why do all programmes HAVE to start on the hour or half hour? Can't the broadcasters stagger the start times?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GRC wrote: »
    Given a scenario of 'switching the TV on and looking for something, anything, to watch whilst stopping for a cuppa or a sandwich', it's very frustrating to come in on the hour, the quarter, half or three-quarter, and be unable to find anything but adverts.

Why do all programmes HAVE to start on the hour or half hour? Can't the broadcasters stagger the start times?
    The problem with that idea is the advantage it would give to the earlier programme in the event of a clash between rival shows with crossover appeal. For example, in circumstances where Emmerdale has run an extended episode, the second half clashes with EastEnders. This hammers EastEnders' viewing figures as large numbers of crossover viewers stick with the programme that's already started.

Having staggered start times would also inconvenience viewers as it would drastically increase the number of overlaps and clashes.