Call the Midwife Series Three Thread,

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    don't watch EE so I was ok with whoever she was. Enjoyed last night's, love Sr Evangeline. silly Jenny, and just didn't we know about poor Shelagh. Interesting story line if they follow it through because I don't know what they did about infertility probs in the 50's 60's, so I guess that's where they are going to go.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Yes. I wonder if that will be built on. We'll see. :)

I certainly hope so! ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I think trixie and he get together,

i think they are nearly ran out of original book material so using artistic licence more in this series,
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MFL was on in Drury Lane, that was Richmond if im not mistaken.
    As if the fraudsters would have simply handed money back instead of just doing a runner.
    Pedantic post over.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was funny when they used the expression "Over The Moon" as I am sure that expression would not have been used in the 1950's. I think it came about more in about the 1980's.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was funny when they used the expression "Over The Moon" as I am sure that expression would not have been used in the 1950's. I think it came about more in about the 1980's.

No, the saying is at least a century old, and I certainly used it in the 60's.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I was surprised at Jenny saying she was too young to get married and have children. In the late 50s most girls probably expected to get married in their early twenties, and Jenny has never come across as a girl who enjoys painting the town red or has great ambitions to travel or anything like that. If Trixie had said it, it would have been more believable.
    I wish they'd give Chummy more to do. She was hardly in it last night.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    The actress who plays Shelagh did well last night , i could see her pain of wanting a child. I think it is good to feature someone with fertility issues especially set in a time where women got pregnant so easily. I am battling fertility problems myself and i often feel like before the 21st century every woman seemed to get pregnant with little effort and if a woman did suffer infertility it was kept hidden. It is nice to have it in the open and show in times before contraception and when women seemed to be super fertile it wasn't for everyone.
  • Reggie RebelReggie Rebel Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kat180 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that rather gorgeous prison Chaplin checking out Miss Trixie? ;)

It would be rude not to.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member

No I remember my Gran using it in the 60,s too

I see it was used long long before my Gran !!
    http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ove3.htm
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    No, the saying is at least a century old, and I certainly used it in the 60's.

I stand corrected. :(
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this on the net about 'over the moon'.
    Says 1718 is the earliest.

"As with most nursery rhymes, the first appearance in print may well post-date the first use by years, centuries even - children didn't write their rhymes down. The text of such rhymes was subject to a 'Chinese whispers' effect over all of that time and, whatever the origin may have been, the version passed down to us is quite probably nonsense and isn't easily interpreted. What is clear is that the 'over the moon' line is a reference to excitement and energy. That's evidenced by one of the earliest allusions to the phrase in print - Charles Molloy's The Coquet, or, The English Chevalier, 1718:

"Tis he! I know him now: I shall jump over the Moon for Joy!"
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tis he! I know him now: I shall jump over the Moon for Joy!"

Show off!......:D

As to Lacey Turners part, I thought she did well, and certainly played the part of a frightened mother creditably. Poor Shelagh, first a crisis of faith, then TB, her prospective stepson gets polio, now the prospect of no child!.....

What next for our harassed ex nun?. Either Dr Turner will turn out to be a secret dope fiend, or is Timmy a peeping Tom?.
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xNATILLYx wrote: »
    The actress who plays Shelagh did well last night , i could see her pain of wanting a child. I think it is good to feature someone with fertility issues especially set in a time where women got pregnant so easily. I am battling fertility problems myself and i often feel like before the 21st century every woman seemed to get pregnant with little effort and if a woman did suffer infertility it was kept hidden. It is nice to have it in the open and show in times before contraception and when women seemed to be super fertile it wasn't for everyone.

I think we shall see Shelagh exploring other ways of bringing a child into their family. I hope that there will be a happy outcome for you also. Good luck :kitty:
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last Sunday's episode was wrtten by Liz Lake. I noticed it said that right at the beginning. Did anyone else notice the change? I thought it was very good and fairly seamless.

Liz Lake has written and produced for many series such as Footballers' Wives, Bad Girls etc.

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/liz-lake/45/674/713

Heidi Thomas is still the producer of course, along with A.N.Other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I think we shall see Shelagh exploring other ways of bringing a child into their family. I hope that there will be a happy outcome for you also. Good luck :kitty:

Laura Main who plays shelagh was on loose women today and pretty much said the same thing about how nice it was to play someone who had fertility issues in such a programme as it does get the chance to show the flip side
  • researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »
    Last Sunday's episode was wrtten by Liz Lake. I noticed it said that right at the beginning. Did anyone else notice the change? I thought it was very good and fairly seamless.

Liz Lake has written and produced for many series such as Footballers' Wives, Bad Girls etc.

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/liz-lake/45/674/713

Heidi Thomas is still the producer of course, along with A.N.Other.
    Other writers have worked on the show from the beginning alongside Heidi Thomas - she oversees all scripts though.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other writers have worked on the show from the beginning alongside Heidi Thomas - she oversees all scripts though.

Thanks.:)
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bump bump bump
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    bump bump bump
    Good evening :)
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just love this series... poor Shelagh, I think we will see her with a baby, just not sure how.

Something not quite right with this new nun - hmmmm
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cluedo is in time - release date was 1949
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just love this series... poor Shelagh, I think we will see her with a baby, just not sure how.

I'm wondering if Shelagh will adopt then get pregnant. Love the nuns playing Cluedo! :D
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bet it will be a child whose mother dies in childbirth.
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirty weekend in Brighton ... lol