Options

Sunday Trading Law Outdated and needs Scrapping?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well firstly good luck in your management role :)

I think it's a mixture of both, there are obvious benefits to SLT for staff and management. But for consumers maybe it would be good.

I think the current system of allowing stores to open longer under certain circumstances works.

Thank you :)

I agree on a system whereby in special cases when demand is high then the hours should be altered (Christmas & Easter, maybe the World Cup etc..).

It will be interesting to see with the growth of online shopping if picking a click and collect order after 4pm from a superstore would ever become possible. Unsure on if the rules prevent that?
    Food for thought.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have changed your mind? I suppose that's fair enough.

Good luck in your management role.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TescoJeans wrote: »
    You have changed your mind? I suppose that's fair enough.

Good luck in your management role.

I have but that's due to my own self interest. So I'm bias to be honest.
    Great debate though.

Thank you :)
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    you mean you think people have not had the time to get easter bunnies all because the shops are closed on easter sunday, that made me laugh

no i don't. some people don't care about crap like easter and christmas, in particular men, and when all these nonsense retail "celebrations" like mothers day and valentines day etc arise there are plenty of people who don't buy gifts until last minute. and easter is certainly one of them
    , the other point you made about if the store owner does not celebrate xmas, but what about if the staff do. I see nothing wrong with the law making the shop close sometimes.

why not? why should retail businesses not be allowed to open when they want, when no other type of business has such restrictions and could open 24/7/365 like factories, call centres, hospitals, police, prisons, whats so special about retail that they need restrictions, yet ONLY for stores over a particular size?

how could you possibly see nothing wrong with that?
    On a sunday there is no rush hour traffic public transport only does sunday service, which must mean most of the population is not at work. so sunday is a differant day to the rest of the week.

some people still have to work and travel to work. such as factory workers, police, nurses, etc. not everyone needs to use public transport, some can walk or can travel by their own vehicles, cycle, get lifts, etc

and as i mentioned before, if there was greater demand for public transport then services may increase to cope with demand
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »
    no i don't. some people don't care about crap like easter and christmas, in particular men, and when all these nonsense retail "celebrations" like mothers day and valentines day etc arise there are plenty of people who don't buy gifts until last minute. and easter is certainly one of them

why not? why should retail businesses not be allowed to open when they want, when no other type of business has such restrictions and could open 24/7/365 like factories, call centres, hospitals, police, prisons, whats so special about retail that they need restrictions, yet ONLY for stores over a particular size?

how could you possibly see nothing wrong with that?

some people still have to work and travel to work. such as factory workers, police, nurses, etc. not everyone needs to use public transport, some can walk or can travel by their own vehicles, cycle, get lifts, etc

and as i mentioned before, if there was greater demand for public transport then services may increase to cope with demand

You dont get rush hour traffic on a sunday. which must mean most of the population are not at work. Well there has been sunday shopping for years now, and public transport on a sunday has not changed, so again no demand,
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    Saw this article today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2597931/Let-stay-open-longer-Sunday-Big-stores-plea-scrap-ridiculous-rules.html

So it seems some retailers do want to open for longer on Sundays.
  • Options
    MikeJWMikeJW Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Saw this article today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2597931/Let-stay-open-longer-Sunday-Big-stores-plea-scrap-ridiculous-rules.html

Of course. But I expect the argument will go like this.

Shops don't call for change = proof that there's no demand for extra Sunday trading and the law should stay as it is.

Shops call for change = proof that they're just evil profiteers, and so to protect their workers the law should stay as it is.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Saw this article today:

A bit like this thread then:-

Some are

Some aren't

And some are not fussed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You dont get rush hour traffic on a sunday. which must mean most of the population are not at work. Well there has been sunday shopping for years now, and public transport on a sunday has not changed, so again no demand,

wrong.

there is a demand, and transport companies provide services based on that demand. if there was no demand, there would likely be no service at all.

if the sunday trading laws were abolished and businesses opened longer and demand increased for transport, transport businesses would in turn review and increase services as they deemed appropriate to suit the demand.

the whole supply and demand thing is a pretty simple concept really, and it's not specific to transportation
  • Options
    BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather stops stay closed on a Sunday. It's nice to have one day where shop workers can be all home with their family one day a week.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Scrape them as the promote Sunday as a special religious day.
    We need to move away from this dangerous mindset.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Brigon wrote: »
    I would rather stops stay closed on a Sunday. It's nice to have one day where shop workers can be all home with their family one day a week.

That's why they invented days off!

Why Sunday? Because of religion!
  • Options
    Alex_Davies1973Alex_Davies1973 Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also kids are not at school.if you got kids that is.
    So it a good day for the whole family to be together.
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I still think there is need to have one day that is considered a day off for the majority of the workforce. It would make sense for that day to remain Sunday even though the reasons for it being a day of rest originate from religion.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what's wrong with stores opening on christmas day and easter sunday? right now there are no laws restricting stores from opening on those days unless they are over 3 hundred square foot (and it doesn't matter what the ration between customer area and staff/stockroom/etc area is, you can't bypass the law by shutting part of the store to the public).

what is so special about easter sunday in regards to store opening? shouldn't people be allowed to shop for chocolate bunnies to give to kids? why should muslim and sihk staff have restrictions imposed on them for a celebration that's over run by commerciality and chocolate? likewise if they don't celebrate christmas, why should they not be allowed to carry out business as normal? the laws don't prevent people from doing business on any of the other nonsense fairytale celebrations from other organised religions, so why these two?

Because at the end of the day this is still fundamentally a Christian country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wrong.

there is a demand, and transport companies provide services based on that demand. if there was no demand, there would likely be no service at all.

if the sunday trading laws were abolished and businesses opened longer and demand increased for transport, transport businesses would in turn review and increase services as they deemed appropriate to suit the demand.

the whole supply and demand thing is a pretty simple concept really, and it's not specific to transportation

So your whole idea is to get a sunday like any other day of the week, but not just for shops because there would be a knock on effect of more people being forced to work on a sunday, ie running public transport like the rest of the week. Yet the proof is most people like not going to work on sunday, no rush hour traffic goes to prove that the biggest numbers of people DONT work on a sunday, because if they did we would have rush hour traffic jams on a sunday. Supply and demand does not always work that simple. More people needing medical care and operations, so there is the demand but the supply is not there. Or should supply and demand only apply when it comes to making a profit. The demand for people to see their doctor on a sunday is there, in fact i dare say a lot of buisnesses would love for GPs to be open on sundays as it would cut down on wasted time people going to there doctors in working hours. But the supply is not willing to work on a sunday. i dont see the doctors being punished or sacked for refusing to work on a sunday by thier bosses ie government. I believe were possible 1 day a week should be differant, and yes there has always been workers working on a sunday and xmas day. But i have found that a lot of the people saying sunday is no differant, dont themselfs want to work that day and want to go shopping instead. So they dont want to work but expect other people to, so they can do the things they want to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Because at the end of the day this is still fundamentally a Christian country.

i don't know much about religion, so maybe you could explain in some simple terms the difference between retail and other businesses, and why there needs to be a special law restricting retail outlets over a certain size from opening, yet no other business has this restriction

is there something in the bible about shops being under 3000 square feet being fine to trade on a sunday but over that size isn't? i know there is a story about a man and a whale and another dude with a big boat, but i don't know the one about the big shop
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So your whole idea is to get a sunday like any other day of the week,

no. my idea is to remove the outdated sunday trading law and let businesses decide when they want to open or not.

not that i'm against sunday being like any other day of the week however, but if you want to discuss that i suggest you start another thread
    but not just for shops because there would be a knock on effect of more people being forced to work on a sunday,

no there wouldn't. no-one in this country is forced to work at any job. there are laws in place to prevent this
    ie running public transport like the rest of the week. Yet the proof is most people like not going to work on sunday,

please show this proof

no rush hour traffic goes to prove that the biggest numbers of people DONT work on a sunday, because if they did we would have rush hour traffic jams on a sunday.

so show the proof from the bit in bold above that statement
    Supply and demand does not always work that simple.

what simple? i've never said how it works. i said it was a simple concept
    More people needing medical care and operations, so there is the demand but the supply is not there. Or should supply and demand only apply when it comes to making a profit.

no, but in most cases like transportation and medication it does. however the whole issue of supply and demand and financial implications in the medical field is certainly something you should start a new thread on if you want to enter that conversation. you surely must be aware from reading the news how people aren't supplied with certain medication due to costs and huge demand that would financially cripple the NHS, or the huge cost of medical bills in the states for example
    The demand for people to see their doctor on a sunday is there, in fact i dare say a lot of buisnesses would love for GPs to be open on sundays as it would cut down on wasted time people going to there doctors in working hours. But the supply is not willing to work on a sunday.

that's completely wrong. you seem to have no idea whatsoever about this issue. for a start, doctors and nurses are working 24/7/365, even on easter and christmas day. if you are in need of medical attention you can literally make a single phone call and medics can visit you and give treatment on location and take you to hospital if required. medical treatment in the uk occurs all day every day
    i dont see the doctors being punished or sacked for refusing to work on a sunday by thier bosses ie government.

many GP's are self employed, so they don't have a boss as such.

if a doctor is contractually obligated to work on a sunday, as many doctors and nurses are, and they refuse to work, they will be liable for disciplinary action in the same way as any other employee. this disciplinary action is between employer and employee, so that's why you don't see it

there is a simple reason why GP surgeries aren't open on sundays and have certain opening hours. it's because it's a highly skilled job that takes years of training and there simply isn't enough GP's in the country to provide such a service. plus as most GP's are paid via NHS funding, which is limited, there is also financial reasons. however as hospitals are open 24/7/365 and medics can attend on location, we have pretty good coverage in this country

this isn't a very good comparison to make to retail. if someone is sick they will usually take time off work as a result of the illness and can therefore see their doctor. people don't normally take time off work to go shopping

i'd also like to see GP surgeries open longer hours and all day of the week, but if you follow the news you would know from recent articles that GP's are stretched very much and there is a shortage of medical professionals. as retail work is usually low skilled there is no problem obtaining suitable staff to open shops however
    I believe were possible 1 day a week should be differant,

why do you believe this? what is your rationale behind it?
    and yes there has always been workers working on a sunday and xmas day. But i have found that a lot of the people saying sunday is no differant, dont themselfs want to work that day and want to go shopping instead. So they dont want to work but expect other people to, so they can do the things they want to do.

so what's wrong with that? regardless of what people want to do or not, it's their choice as to what jobs they apply for, and whether to accept the job if offered. if people don't want to do certain types of work, or work certain hours or days, they aren't forced to apply for such work, nevermind accept it

i've worked sundays before and i wouldn't mind working sundays now. i'd rather have a day off midweek when more things are open and there is more to do than on a sunday. and many other people think the same way

if you don't want to work a sunday, why support a law that effictively prevents those who want to work on sundays from working by reducing availability of work in the retail sector?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    no. my idea is to remove the outdated sunday trading law and let businesses decide when they want to open or not.

not that i'm against sunday being like any other day of the week however, but if you want to discuss that i suggest you start another thread

no there wouldn't. no-one in this country is forced to work at any job. there are laws in place to prevent this

please show this proof

so show the proof from the bit in bold above that statement

what simple? i've never said how it works. i said it was a simple concept

no, but in most cases like transportation and medication it does. however the whole issue of supply and demand and financial implications in the medical field is certainly something you should start a new thread on if you want to enter that conversation. you surely must be aware from reading the news how people aren't supplied with certain medication due to costs and huge demand that would financially cripple the NHS, or the huge cost of medical bills in the states for example

that's completely wrong. you seem to have no idea whatsoever about this issue. for a start, doctors and nurses are working 24/7/365, even on easter and christmas day. if you are in need of medical attention you can literally make a single phone call and medics can visit you and give treatment on location and take you to hospital if required. medical treatment in the uk occurs all day every day

many GP's are self employed, so they don't have a boss as such.

if a doctor is contractually obligated to work on a sunday, as many doctors and nurses are, and they refuse to work, they will be liable for disciplinary action in the same way as any other employee. this disciplinary action is between employer and employee, so that's why you don't see it

there is a simple reason why GP surgeries aren't open on sundays and have certain opening hours. it's because it's a highly skilled job that takes years of training and there simply isn't enough GP's in the country to provide such a service. plus as most GP's are paid via NHS funding, which is limited, there is also financial reasons. however as hospitals are open 24/7/365 and medics can attend on location, we have pretty good coverage in this country

this isn't a very good comparison to make to retail. if someone is sick they will usually take time off work as a result of the illness and can therefore see their doctor. people don't normally take time off work to go shopping

i'd also like to see GP surgeries open longer hours and all day of the week, but if you follow the news you would know from recent articles that GP's are stretched very much and there is a shortage of medical professionals. as retail work is usually low skilled there is no problem obtaining suitable staff to open shops however

why do you believe this? what is your rationale behind it?

so what's wrong with that? regardless of what people want to do or not, it's their choice as to what jobs they apply for, and whether to accept the job if offered. if people don't want to do certain types of work, or work certain hours or days, they aren't forced to apply for such work, nevermind accept it

i've worked sundays before and i wouldn't mind working sundays now. i'd rather have a day off midweek when more things are open and there is more to do than on a sunday. and many other people think the same way

if you don't want to work a sunday, why support a law that effictively prevents those who want to work on sundays from working by reducing availability of work in the retail sector?
    I will use the same statment as before why dont we have rush hour traffic on sundays, because most of the population are NOT at work if they were we would have the traffic jams as we do in the week at rush hour time, so that must mean lots of places are not working. Of course people would be forced to work because they would have their contract changed, and they either take the change or leave so not really a lot of choice, i have noticed how much you speak up for buisness but not alot for the workforce, same as ZHC suit buisness but dont suit most workers, they only suit the workforce they dont rely on that wage on a regular bases, what we used to call pin money, and yes have have worked on sundays xmas days and easter, but that was my choice then. Would i do it now if i could no. There always has been people who have needed to work on sundays xmas and easter, but i dont see that anyone is worse off by these days being differant.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will use the same statment as before why dont we have rush hour traffic on sundays, because most of the population are NOT at work if they were we would have the traffic jams as we do in the week at rush hour time, so that must mean lots of places are not working. Of course people would be forced to work because they would have their contract changed, and they either take the change or leave so not really a lot of choice, i have noticed how much you speak up for buisness but not alot for the workforce, same as ZHC suit buisness but dont suit most workers, they only suit the workforce they dont rely on that wage on a regular bases, what we used to call pin money, and yes have have worked on sundays xmas days and easter, but that was my choice then. Would i do it now if i could no. There always has been people who have needed to work on sundays xmas and easter, but i dont see that anyone is worse off by these days being differant.

Around here, there is "rush hour" twice a day, everyday because of shift change over at a major company.

But that has nothing to do with Sunday trading laws or letting retailers have the choice to as and when they can trade 7 days a week, just as they can for 6 of those days. I ask, for the 100th time (not exaggerating there) what is wrong with giving retailers the freedom of choice to decide their own trading hours 7 days a week, just as they currently can for 6 of those days.

To prove how stupid and pointless the law is, there are many shops that are not effected by the law (because they retail size is smaller than 280m²) still trade for just 6 hours, on top of that and on the "no some retailers get around it by having "browsing time" before the shop opens, this includes Debenhams and Asda, plus Makro (a wholesaler, that has a huge retail area) already ignore the law and open half 9 til half 5 every Sunday. From the link provided, Morrisons and Selfridges can be added to the retailers that want the law scrapped.

It's a pointless law, there is demand for it to be scrapped, it only restricts one industry and of a certain size. Time to scrap the pointless law.

There are ZHC in many industries and businesses, what has that got to do with the Sunday trading law? Do please keep on topic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is strange both Sainsbury's & Argos don't want the law changing, yet in Scotland they open extended hours.

So in a way it backs tim59 theory that stores would be forced to open longer, yes they have choice, but they don't really as they wouldn't want to lose market share to a competitor.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    What is strange both Sainsbury's & Argos don't want the law changing, yet in Scotland they open extended hours.

So in a way it backs tim59 theory that stores would be forced to open longer, yes they have choice, but they don't really as they wouldn't want to lose market share to a competitor.

A few years back the Tesco Superstores opened Boxing Day, Sainsburys did not.
    Within two years Sainsburys opened (but the staff admitted it was terrible trading).

Today popped in to Sainsburys in the six hours they are open...wow all the spaces to park.

Think the staus quo is fine in England and Wales.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    Around here, there is "rush hour" twice a day, everyday because of shift change over at a major company.

But that has nothing to do with Sunday trading laws or letting retailers have the choice to as and when they can trade 7 days a week, just as they can for 6 of those days. I ask, for the 100th time (not exaggerating there) what is wrong with giving retailers the freedom of choice to decide their own trading hours 7 days a week, just as they currently can for 6 of those days.

To prove how stupid and pointless the law is, there are many shops that are not effected by the law (because they retail size is smaller than 280m²) still trade for just 6 hours, on top of that and on the "no some retailers get around it by having "browsing time" before the shop opens, this includes Debenhams and Asda, plus Makro (a wholesaler, that has a huge retail area) already ignore the law and open half 9 til half 5 every Sunday. From the link provided, Morrisons and Selfridges can be added to the retailers that want the law scrapped.

It's a pointless law, there is demand for it to be scrapped, it only restricts one industry and of a certain size. Time to scrap the pointless law.

There are ZHC in many industries and businesses, what has that got to do with the Sunday trading law? Do please keep on topic.

Most of your "unanswered" questions have been answered already. The one that you haven't asked - the elephant in the room - is why any law should be changed purely because it would benefit big, powerful companies to do so. And where do you draw the line: should any law that inconveniences big companies automatically be repealed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years back the Tesco Superstores opened Boxing Day, Sainsburys did not.
    Within two years Sainsburys opened (but the staff admitted it was terrible trading).

Today popped in to Sainsburys in the six hours they are open...wow all the spaces to park.

Think the staus quo is fine in England and Wales.

They will be forced to open regardless if it is profitable or not, market share will be more important.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Most of your "unanswered" questions have been answered already. The one that you haven't asked - the elephant in the room - is why any law should be changed purely because it would benefit big, powerful companies to do so. And where do you draw the line: should any law that inconveniences big companies automatically be repealed?

If you're so sure about that, why not link me to the posts with the answers. If not, what's wrong with answering this one question for me (just in case I've missed the answer, which I'm pretty sure I haven't) -

What is wrong with letting all retailers have the choice to open and trade as and when they wish to 7 days a week, just as they currently can for 6 out of those 7 days?
    Remember, not all retailers are huge companies and retailers are not the only supermarkets.

"Big, powerful companies" already do trade as and when they like for their own benefit, with no laws preventing them from doing so: Amazon, Google, all energy companies, BBC, ITV, C4, C5, Sky, Virgin, BP, Shell, Apple, Sony, BMW, Airbus to name a few. What makes retail so special to have it's own law preventing certain sized stores from trading on one day of the week?

Plus, it doesn't just affect "big, powerful" companies. A sole trader or someone who runs a small chain of stores could have large stores, but are restricted to trading hours (not opening hours, just trading hours). Why should they be restricted too?