International Cricket 2013

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    To be honest not sure having Anderson and Broad would make that much difference. Both of these players have proven that they are not that good in sub-continent conditons. If the likes of Ghambir, Kholi, Yuvraj , Dhoni click, Anderson and Broad wont make that much difference.

See India have reverted to a flat track, which would mean a high scoring game. India know there strength is the batting, so have prepared a pitch to their strengths.

On a flat track any bowler is hittable.

Great game. I will never under rate Tredwell again.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Just shows the strength of our batting options is we can realistically talk about dropping someone who's got as many runs as Trott in the last couple of years.

Agree, as good as Trott's average is his strike rate isn't great. Buttler, Bairstow and Hales must be very close to getting regular ODI spots.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Just shows the strength of our batting options is we can realistically talk about dropping someone who's got as many runs as Trott in the last couple of years.

Trotts average at OD is great. His strike rate however isnt. In a game where 250 - 275 will do, hes fine. However if you are chasing anything higher hes not ideal. i have said in the past, that he is a selfish player. No matter what the required runrate, he will play at his place. Makes sure he gets his runs. This puts extra pressure on players around him, who then have to score faster to compensate. When England play at home, they bowl well, and tend to restrict teams to 250 - 275 scores, you wont get many team scoring 300+ against England in England. Thus playing Trott isnt really a problem. However when they play away, in conditions that arent friendly, and England concede 275+, then he isnt really suited.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Tel69 wrote: »
    Agree, as good as Trott's average is his strike rate isn't great. Buttler, Bairstow and Hales must be very close to getting regular ODI spots.

Bloody hell we agree on something...guess we are both as foolish as each other. :D
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    good win England, Nice to see India producing normal ODI pitches.
    England batting order looks sorted though, they bowling attack does need to improve though.

Dearnbach, Bresnan needs to stop trying to take wickets? in odi games are not won by taking wickets, and they both giving away easy runs trying to take one extra wickets, Swann bowls really well in this format, he tries to bowl 10 overs for 40-50 odd runs, and any wicket is seen as a bonus.

Dearnbach is the most over rated cricketer in England, surely their must be better bowlers than him, if anything this guy is a County cricket or domestic cricket bully. his bowling figures always seems better when people can't pick is bowling attack, he was the best bowler in the warm ups, but international batsman will whack all his bad balls, he bowls 2 or 3 in a over, this guy reminds me of a Mystery spinner, that can't bowl the same ball in the same spot twice, and he will have fantastic numbers in domestic cricket, but when the batsman can pick him, he will get whacked.

Wouldn't it be better if England tried newer bowlers instead of Bresnan, Dernbach getting goes, when their clearly in bad form or not made out for international cricket, surely England got better options, I keep on hearing England have the best bench strength in seam bowling, it is time their start proving it.?
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Dearnbach, Bresnan needs to stop trying to take wickets? in odi games are not won by taking wickets, and they both giving away easy runs trying to take one extra wickets, Swann bowls really well in this format, he tries to bowl 10 overs for 40-50 odd runs, and any wicket is seen as a bonus.

England won this game by taking more wickets. India were ahead of England's score all the way through to the final over but because England had numbers 5 and 6 in the middle for the final 2 overs and India had numbers 9 and 11 England were able to accelerate away. Taking wickets remains a valuable skill.

Bresnan and Dernbach leak runs because they are rubbish (at least Dernbach is rubbish, I think Bresnan is just out of form) not because they are trying to take wickets, IMO.
    Forum Member
    Dernbach tries to many variations, and lacks control. he always tries to take wickets, when bowling tight would be a better option.
    is it better taking 3/70 and taking 2 wickets when the batsman are going for quick runs, or 1-40, in a low scoring game.

Bresnan should just get dropped now, he clearly can't bowl anymore and needs to go back in the nets and try to get his form back, if he continues to play when his form is clearly not there, he may damage his confidence, he might never be the player he was in 2011, it happen in international cricket, that the player just can't produce what he did couple of years ago.
    Also india pretty much lost their wickets, trying to chase down the total, india only lost 4 wickets in the first 40 overs, with england only losing 3 wickets in their first 40 overs.
    their are probably 3 batsman in the indian team, that wouldn't have played that shot, that led them to getting out, if they were batting first or India were chasing 300 or below.
    We see what happens in the next 4 ODI, but Dearnbach defiantly needs to stop looking for wickets, when in the process he goes for runs, bowling 10 overs for 40-50 is better then taking 3/70-80.

I reckon this series could go both ways, both teams look about even.
    India and England batting are about the same ability, and both bowling attacks looks weak.
    I think the side that bats second most in the the series will win the series, unless the side batting first scores 20-30 runs above par.
    Should be a cracker of a series.

the only reason I am picking out Dernbach is because His 2 or 3 wicket he gets in the last few overs, is what is being remember by the english media, I can't believe how many time I have heard he is a good death bowler or good international bowler, by the sky commentators, it is like how the channel 9 commentators always go on about how Great, david Warner, when in reality they are average players.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe how many time I have heard he is a good death bowler or good international bowler, by the sky commentators

I was screaming at the TV just now when Nasser was trotting out that old myth about Dernbach being money at the death. Doubtless today's final over where he heroically managed to defend 15 runs against numbers 9 and 11 (with 11 facing to start the over) will be cited in the future to back up this silly belief. I'd hate to start wishing for anyone to get an injury but the England selectors seem so hell bent on persisting with Dernbach that injury may be the only hope for England fans hoping to see the back of him.
    Forum Member
    I was screaming at the TV just now when Nasser was trotting out that old myth about Dernbach being money at the death. Doubtless today's final over where he heroically managed to defend 15 runs against numbers 9 and 11 (with 11 facing to start the over) will be cited in the future to back up this silly belief. I'd hate to start wishing for anyone to get an injury but the England selectors seem so hell bent on persisting with Dernbach that injury may be the only hope for England fans hoping to see the back of him.

and that is why I am very disappointed with the English media in the way they treated this series.:mad:
    I can guarantee you, that Dernbach can bowl very bad in this series, with England losing 4-1 or 3-2.
    And the english media would say it is not a big deal, Dernbach will bowl better in england or australia or new zealand.
    they don't seem to understand that he would bowl bad in all countries and pitches.:eek:
    And most ODI pitch are Flat, the only difference between australia and india would be bounce, and maybe slight help for the spinner in india, and slight help for the seam bowler in australia/england and new Zealand.
    You can understand Cook’s thinking, but will victory here really help those two campaigns he mentioned? The answer is in the negative. For the brutal, unspoken truth is that this tour has little or no context. Conditions are so different from elsewhere that the cricket played can have little relevance to that played in England, where the Champions Trophy will be held this summer, and Australia and New Zealand, where the next World Cup will be staged in 2015.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/england/9794295/India-v-England-one-day-series-victory-will-prove-we-are-No-1-says-Alastair-Cook.html
    pretty much any bad performance in this series, will be discarded by the media, which is stupid.:mad:

Conditions and home advantages has been over hyped lately, the best team would win, in all conditions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The obsession the sky commentators have with Dernbach is mystifying. He's a one trick pony whose trick isn't very good. Sadly after his 2 wickets today we're stuck with him for the rest of the series and beyond.

I see Bhav is ranting about our bowlers and media when he should be wondering how they lost to a mix and match team. I'm very doubtful any of these bowlers Finn apart will play when Champions Trophy starts but they still had too much for India. Rahane and Ghambir want shooting for tossing the initiative back to us when they were coasting. Both played stupid shots when well set but Yuvraj was extremely lucky to survive as long as he did with at least 3 leading edges dropping safe. Technically he's very poor although he's a powerful hitter.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good win England, Nice to see India producing normal ODI pitches.
    England batting order looks sorted though, they bowling attack does need to improve though.

Dearnbach is the most over rated cricketer in England, surely their must be better bowlers than him, if anything this guy is a County cricket or domestic cricket bully. his bowling figures always seems better when people can't pick is bowling attack, he was the best bowler in the warm ups, but international batsman will whack all his bad balls, he bowls 2 or 3 in a over, this guy reminds me of a Mystery spinner, that can't bowl the same ball in the same spot twice, and he will have fantastic numbers in domestic cricket, but when the batsman can pick him, he will get whacked.

Wouldn't it be better if England tried newer bowlers instead of Bresnan, Dernbach getting goes, when their clearly in bad form or not made out for international cricket, surely England got better options, I keep on hearing England have the best bench strength in seam bowling, it is time their start proving it.?

utter twaddle, taking wickets make all the difference, why we won this game, the problem with Dernbach & bres is they don't do it enough.
  • chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,728
    Forum Member
    No matter how many times Sky try and tell me Dernbach is a great death bowler, I just can't see it. He was abysmal today, but credit to him, he got the vital wicket at the vital time that won the game.

He's this era's Saj Mahmood-adored by Sky, seemingly undroppable from the England one day side no matter how badly he bowls, despite being a liability for the team.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hmmph one good match, on an incredibly flat pitch, against the likes of dinda and sharma, and trott is surplus to requirements.

C'mon people.

I should say here though if the top 4 carry on doing their job like today for the vast majority of this series, I will change my views.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but one match against shite bowling seems a bit reactionary.

I may seem like an England apologist at times, but I would really like our one-day team to play horses-for-courses with bowlers and batsmen. Trott should be there if its a tough batting wicket, others if not, bowling should differ wildly on the pitch too, but it isn't the English way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmph one good match, on an incredibly flat pitch, against the likes of dinda and sharma, and trott is surplus to requirements.

C'mon people.

ODI teams can't carry a bloke who hits the occasional 4 who chugs along at a strike rate of 70. Whilst you'll win occasional games on poor pitches with players like that you'll lose more. The likes of Amla and Bell have re-invented themselves as fast scoring ODI batsmen, Trott needs to do the same IMHO. it's hardly a new thing either, many have been questioning his spot in the ODI team for sometime. We have some very clean hitters who aren't getting a game because he occupies a spot, average of 48 or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ODI teams can't carry a bloke who hits the occasional 4 who chugs along at a strike rate of 70. Whilst you'll win occasional games on poor pitches with players like that you'll lose more. The likes of Amla and Bell have re-invented themselves as fast scoring ODI batsmen, Trott needs to do the same IMHO. it's hardly a new thing either, many have been questioning his spot in the ODI team for sometime. We have some very clean hitters who aren't getting a game because he occupies a spot, average of 48 or not.

Bell has been doing it for 5 minutes, he has a worst strike-rate than Trott. Hence why I suggest we wait for this to pan out for a while before we judge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bell has been doing it for 5 minutes, he has a worst strike-rate than Trott. Hence why I suggest we wait for this to pan out for a while before we judge.

I reckon he's opened in the last 12 ODI's scoring 1 hundred and 5 half centuries against 4 different sides. I don't know his scoring rate in those games but I'd say its between 90-100. His overall rate would be lower because he scored so slowly before this.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good win for England.

There was a poster on here a few months back called Jim Moriarty who was very skeptical about England using Joe Root as a part-time bowler, but I said at the time, that I think he could prove to be a gem for England. Apparently he has spent a good amount of time this winter working on his bowling with the England set-up. Obviously he has a long way to go, but it would be ideal for England to have a good part-time spinner.
  • Oh_wellOh_well Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Good win for England.

There was a poster on here a few months back called Jim Moriarty who was very skeptical about England using Joe Root as a part-time bowler, but I said at the time, that I think he could prove to be a gem for England. Apparently he has spent a good amount of time this winter working on his bowling with the England set-up. Obviously he has a long way to go, but it would be ideal for England to have a good part-time spinner.

Definately , especially in tests , For me KP is under used and underrated as an spinner in tests , in some situations he should get used in the shorter forms to , i remember Sehwag throwing him the ball last IPL and he done allright , im not saying hes brilliant or anything but hes definately handy and under used imo.

I wonder how much he works on his bowling and how much he has been encouraged to improve it by the coaches ? , not a great deal i guess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon he's opened in the last 12 ODI's scoring 1 hundred and 5 half centuries against 4 different sides. I don't know his scoring rate in those games but I'd say its between 90-100. His overall rate would be lower because he scored so slowly before this.

Yeah Bell has only scored at a pathetic rate for about 100 goes, so let's concentrate on the last 12.

Hey as I say if he keeps it up, fair enough, and if KP can carry on striking at number 3, great, but they didn't do either for years, maybe Trott has galvanised them which would be nice.
    Forum Member
    Oh_well wrote: »
    Definately , especially in tests , For me KP is under used and underrated as an spinner in tests , in some situations he should get used in the shorter forms to , i remember Sehwag throwing him the ball last IPL and he done allright , im not saying hes brilliant or anything but hes definately handy and under used imo.

I wonder how much he works on his bowling and how much he has been encouraged to improve it by the coaches ? , not a great deal i guess.

like i said before, indian batsman are encouraged to bowl as the 5th or the 6th bowler, and most captain will always bowl 5-6 overs with part time bowlers, if i am remember correctly dhoni chose to field once, so he can bowl few overs, in the last ipl game.
    it is working though, the amount of all rounders india are producing it is incredible, pretty much most players can either bowl or bat, but most of the players are not international quality, but now in india, everyone is expected to bat or bowl, so it is matter of time before india produces a quality all rounder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    like i said before, indian batsman are encouraged to bowl as the 5th or the 6th bowler, and most captain will always bowl 5-6 overs with part time bowlers, if i am remember correctly dhoni chose to field once, so he can bowl few overs, in the last ipl game.
    it is working though, the amount of all rounders india are producing it is incredible, pretty much most players can either bowl or bat, but most of the players are not international quality, but now in india, everyone is expected to bat or bowl, so it is matter of time before india produces a quality all rounder.

KP doesn't work at bowling, everyone knows it, he could be decent, but he has no accuracy.

He probably can't be arsed coz he's being bullied like.....
    Forum Member
    KP doesn't work at bowling, everyone knows it, he could be decent, but he has no accuracy.

He probably can't be arsed coz he's being bullied like.....

he seem he has learnt that from his Delhi Captain:D
    Harsha bhogle and gavaskar said the same thing the other day, saying the batsman has to be in the mood to bowl, Sehwag is a reluctant bowler, Harsha bhogle and gavaskar, said so many times that Sehwag is a very handy bowler, but doesn't like to bowl, like Raina and Yuvraj does, with both them bowling hours in the nets.

hopefully their bowl Root lots of overs, it does really help, the more overs you bowl the better he will get, maybe yorkshire should make root bowl 10-15 overs a game in First class cricket.
    do the english county team bowl part time bowlers, I know the ranji sides love doing it, to rest their key bowler or when the game is safe, the bowler usually bat, and the batsman usually bowl:rolleyes:

I remembered reading something before, that all the players in the under 14 and youth leagues in india are forced to bowl, so none of the bowlers bowled too many overs in the hot sun and they can control their workload.
    it is incredible that india probably has the best Youth set up, but the worst senior side set up :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Raina and Jadeja were your best bowlers which pretty much backs up the above.
    Forum Member
    Raina and Jadeja were your best bowlers which pretty much backs up the above.

if you think this is the prove just check the ranji trophy averages :D
    For india supposedly bowlers.
    Amit Mishra is the second best batsman in the Haryana team, with an average of 35.
    Harbhajan Singh Averages 23, but he tends to slog and score quick runs, if he put his mind into it, he would easily average around 40.
    Ravindra jadeja averages 113 with the bat and 20 with the ball, which is incredible since he bats in Rajkot.
    Piyush Chawla averages 56.6, the best batsman in his state, with Bhuvesnar kumar average 45, the third best batsman in the same state has chawla, just to show this is no fluke Raina averages 33 and he come from the same state as Chawla and bhuveshnar kumar:D just shows how poor Raina is in First class cricket.
    and their many more, with some of them very difficult to tell if their batsman or bowlers.

seriously though India needs to change its ranji trophy system, where draws being seen has wins, with all games being decided on first innings scores, and the second innings being used for the bowlers to have a bat, and the batsman to have a bowl:D

EDIT
    To show Piyush Chawla batting is no fluke he scored a hundred in england with sussex.
    And averaged 29, with a strike rate 100, and took the most wickets for them, too bad his batting has improved, with his bowler getting worse.
    I wouldn't even call him a bowler these days average 60 with the ball, when part timer from his own state side averages 30, with more wickets, and similar overs.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he seem he has learnt that from his Delhi Captain:D
    Harsha bhogle and gavaskar said the same thing the other day, saying the batsman has to be in the mood to bowl, Sehwag is a reluctant bowler, Harsha bhogle and gavaskar, said so many times that Sehwag is a very handy bowler, but doesn't like to bowl, like Raina and Yuvraj does, with both them bowling hours in the nets.

hopefully their bowl Root lots of overs, it does really help, the more overs you bowl the better he will get, maybe yorkshire should make root bowl 10-15 overs a game in First class cricket.
    do the english county team bowl part time bowlers, I know the ranji sides love doing it, to rest their key bowler or when the game is safe, the bowler usually bat, and the batsman usually bowl:rolleyes:

I remembered reading something before, that all the players in the under 14 and youth leagues in india are forced to bowl, so none of the bowlers bowled too many overs in the hot sun and they can control their workload.
    it is incredible that india probably has the best Youth set up, but the worst senior side set up :rolleyes:

Counties normally love a multi-dimensional player, but the bizarre thing is when they hit internationals they're allowed to give their bowling away. Many examples.l
This discussion has been closed.