Options

Are You Being Served being shown out of sequence.

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,378
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been enjoying the old Are You Being Served episodes that BBC2 have been showing weekday afternoons.

The first episodes were from 1975 and we are now seeing episodes from 1974 :confused:

Anyone know the reason why they aren't being shown in chronological order?

I missed the first two, but they're not on the iplayer. Is this because of old fashioned rights agreements being in place?

IIRC, Mr Grainger and Mr Lucas were replaced. Were the roles simply replaced by other actors, or did the jobs start to be done by others "working" in the shop?

Comments

• Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont think they are showing them out of sequence the first series was from 1973 and series 2 which is being aired this week are from 1974 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Are_You_Being_Served%3F_episodes#Series_1_.281973.29
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been enjoying the old Are You Being Served episodes that BBC2 have been showing weekday afternoons.

The first episodes were from 1975 and we are now seeing episodes from 1974 :confused:

I missed the first two, but they're not on the iplayer. Is this because of old fashioned rights agreements being in place?

IIRC, Mr Grainger and Mr Lucas were replaced. Were the roles simply replaced by other actors, or did the jobs start to be done by others "working" in the shop?

No, you are completely wrong with this

The ones shown last week were from 1973 and have been in sequence, it is you that is wrong i'm afraid

As for the actors. Arthur Brough ( Mr Grainger ) was in the first 5 series and then he retired as an actor. Trevor Bannister left after 7 series as he had signed up to do a play
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »
    Dont think they are showing them out of sequence the first series was from 1973 and series 2 which is being aired this week are from 1974 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Are_You_Being_Served%3F_episodes#Series_1_.281973.29

That's right, they do appear to have been shown in sequence.

The first episode broadcast recently was Dear Sexy Knickers and the copyright date is 1973 (I only watched it earlier today, I recorded them for a rainy day!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    That's right, they do appear to have been shown in sequence.

The first episode broadcast recently was Dear Sexy Knickers and the copyright date is 1973 (I only watched it earlier today, I recorded them for a rainy day!)

Dear Sexy Knickers was the first episode ( excluding pilot ) and was from 1973. There were only 5 episodes in the series in 1973 which were all shown last week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you are completely wrong with this

The ones shown last week were from 1973 and have been in sequence, it is you that is wrong i'm afraid

As for the actors. Arthur Brough ( Mr Grainger ) was in the first 5 series and then he retired as an actor. Trevor Bannister left after 7 series as he had signed up to do a play

Thanks for the info. I had erroneously thought that last weeks were from 1975 and this weeks from 1974!

How did they explain the two different actors to viewers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »

Thanks for the link. It turns out that I missed the first three episodes from this most recent airing, but I can remember seeing episode 3 as a child.

Were the first two any good?

I wonder why they didn't get iplayer rights :mad:
  • Options
    lionelmortonlionelmorton Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I had erroneously thought that last weeks were from 1975 and this weeks from 1974!

It was no big deal .
    The staff stopped working at the store and new members of staff appeared
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe there was a store in Melbourne called Grace Brothers which led to the show being a huge success on Australian TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was no big deal .
    The staff stopped working at the store and new members of staff appeared

I had wondered if they had just got two new actors to play the same roles, as opposed to making it appear that two members of staff had left and been replaced.

I was just a child when I last saw these programmes and obviously didn't get some of the jokes.

They were really quite risque for their time! :D
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it me or does Mrs Slocombe's pussy get less of a mention, or is it just because we are currently on the earlier series?
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did I miss something? Which actors were different?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Did I miss something? Which actors were different?

None until 1977, the OP has it all wrong. I think this thread title needs changing
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link. It turns out that I missed the first three episodes from this most recent airing, but I can remember seeing episode 3 as a child.

Were the first two any good?

I wonder why they didn't get iplayer rights :mad:

You can watch them all on Youtube (including the colour pilot), starting here with Dear Sexy Knickers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXi_i70oBwk

:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None until 1977, the OP has it all wrong. I think this thread title needs changing

I didn't mean it had happened yet, but I remembered the two actors changing from when the episodes were originally shown.

I've asked for this thread to be moved to UK TV Programmes.
    SallyArmy wrote: »
    You can watch them all on Youtube (including the colour pilot), starting here with Dear Sexy Knickers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXi_i70oBwk

:p

Thank you very much :)

I didn't think they'd be on Youtube because of copyright. I wonder how Youtube gets around that :confused:

What on earth? Big brother is watching us!

http://omgili.com/thread/.0rSU5LtMgzDV2jCNmPMrPwaiuyJ0a0zz_YuV2rmIHF7oI4yu5T6YSFiuoUVxDj7LbWi335IkaheMIDehZNSeg--/
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Just be thankful it is being shown at all in these "enlightened times".
  • Options
    aberboyaberboy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect at least one episode not to be shown. There is one with a 'dress down' policy in the store and Mr Lucas wears a 'Jim Fixed it for me' badge.
  • Options
    rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aberboy wrote: »
    I expect at least one episode not to be shown. There is one with a 'dress down' policy in the store and Mr Lucas wears a 'Jim Fixed it for me' badge.

Thats PC gorn mad!
  • Options
    Nine Bob NoteNine Bob Note Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I doubt that one's top of the 'never to be repeated' list somehow ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't find the other thread about BBC2 afternoons, can't remember which forum it's in, but it would appear that the raft of older BBC shows may stop, for a while at least, due to the tennis starting on November the 4th.

So if anyone wants to post this over to the BBC2 thread would be very grateful.
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they wont show that christmas special were they do a black and white minstrel routine too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hICIbleubbY ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you have the dvd boxset does it really matter?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have the dvd boxset does it really matter?

I don't have the DVD boxset :confused: Btw, they aren't being shown out of order, it was my mistake :o
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Just be thankful it is being shown at all in these "enlightened times".

True :D
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it matters.

It's fine however it's shown
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once Mr Granger left they had a whole plethera of men to replace him most of which lasted a few episodes. Mr Lucas was replaced by Mr Spooner who was pretty similar. He and Mr Rumbold are the only main surviving cast still with us, not counting secretaries and one time customers.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Is it me or does Mrs Slocombe's pussy get less of a mention, or is it just because we are currently on the earlier series?

I always remember Mrs Slocombe saying she asked the postman if he could see her pussy if he looked through the cat flap. :)