QPR Face Massive Fine

Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Overspending beyond means to succeed may not be so rewarding according to this article this morning.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-2508505/QPR-face-record-fine-losing-80million.html

Comments

• Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I hate everything about this.
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    Overspending beyond means to succeed may not be so rewarding according to this article this morning.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-2508505/QPR-face-record-fine-losing-80million.html

For the riches of the PL they are probably happy with the risk.

Cantona07 wrote: »
    I hate everything about this.

Are you prepared to tell us why?
    Forum Member
    The Net wrote: »

Are you prepared to tell us why?

Of course.

They had the backing to spend the money. They spent the money. Simple as that. If i remortgage my house and spend it on sweets its not very sensible but i can do it, and i have the right to do so. The fact that i bought sweets doesnt make the remortgage better or worse.

I totally disagree with the concept that football clubs are allowed to be treated as businesses right up until the point that something happens that we dont like and then suddenly we become dictatorial over what can and cant happen.
    Forum Member
    Of course.

They had the backing to spend the money. They spent the money. Simple as that. If i remortgage my house and spend it on sweets its not very sensible but i can do it, and i have the right to do so. The fact that i bought sweets doesnt make the remortgage better or worse.

I totally disagree with the concept that football clubs are allowed to be treated as businesses right up until the point that something happens that we dont like and then suddenly we become dictatorial over what can and cant happen.

Fair point and thanks for making it.

FFP is designed to assist smaller clubs compete with the money spending bigger clubs but in their desperation to legislate I am afraid they've cocked it up. Al they have done in my opinion is start to raise the drawbridge on many smaller clubs to the PL. One you are in you're fine but those that can't spend to get in there have to ensure they get their youth systems right and fend off interest from those that have money.
    Forum Member
    Fair point and thanks for making it.

FFP is designed to assist smaller clubs compete with the money spending bigger clubs but in their desperation to legislate I am afraid they've cocked it up. Al they have done in my opinion is start to raise the drawbridge on many smaller clubs to the PL. One you are in you're fine but those that can't spend to get in there have to ensure they get their youth systems right and fend off interest from those that have money.

YES!

FFP is great in theory but in reality it creates a closed shop. How does Jack Walker bankroll a PL dream now? Even as a Man Utd fan i hate this. City may stand for a lot that is wrong with football but lets be honest, it caused a new team to be on the block, a new challenge, something fresh and exciting. Chelsea had done it a few years previous. Its great. It shakes things up and it creates some excitement. As a United fan I welcome the challenge of a club spending £200m in a summer just to beat us!

At the same time lower down the leagues there are guys who are subsidising clubs hand over fist. Not to win PLs and CLs but just to stay in business. Look at what Eddie Thompson (RIP) did for Dundee United. That should never be discouraged.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YES!

FFP is great in theory but in reality it creates a closed shop. How does Jack Walker bankroll a PL dream now? Even as a Man Utd fan i hate this. City may stand for a lot that is wrong with football but lets be honest, it caused a new team to be on the block, a new challenge, something fresh and exciting. Chelsea had done it a few years previous. Its great. It shakes things up and it creates some excitement. As a United fan I welcome the challenge of a club spending £200m in a summer just to beat us!

At the same time lower down the leagues there are guys who are subsidising clubs hand over fist. Not to win PLs and CLs but just to stay in business. Look at what Eddie Thompson (RIP) did for Dundee United. That should never be discouraged.

Interesting. Wasn't the reason FC United came into existence was of the view that The Glazers were behaving irresponsibly and both pricing genuine fans out?
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Glazers have been terrific for United, inconveniently for FC United followers.

I think the billionaires are great for the game. The money they spend gets bounced round the league elsewhere. By paying big money for players they enable other clubs to do the same.

I don't like that they are embraced and then we try to stop them because we don't like it. I think if its your club then you can do what you like. I don't expect many Leeds and Portsmouth fans to agree but if they were being honest they would say they weren't complaining when their sides were doing rather better than is now the case.
    Forum Member
    Interesting. Wasn't the reason FC United came into existence was of the view that The Glazers were behaving irresponsibly and both pricing genuine fans out?

FC United is a joke.

Green and Gold was a joke.

Green and Gold was pathetic enough to be dumped when the idiots that supported it realised that they were idiots.

FC United is just a bunch of people who cant admit they f***** up because they have far more invested than the Green and Gold campaign did.
    Forum Member
    FC United is a joke.

Green and Gold was a joke.

Green and Gold was pathetic enough to be dumped when the idiots that supported it realised that they were idiots.

FC United is just a bunch of people who cant admit they f***** up because they have far more invested than the Green and Gold campaign did.

Talking of which follow the clip here from 3:10 to see one of the best own goals ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzI5b4l_j10&feature=youtu.be
    Forum Member
    The Glazers have been terrific for United, inconveniently for FC United followers.

I think the billionaires are great for the game. .

Clubs like Portsmouth weren't owned by billionnaires and neither was Birmingham another Club owned by a supposed mega rich Far East megalomaniac. They were sheisters. If you ask most Pompey fans whether the owners were behaving responsibly a the time and you'll get short shrift - despite their "glory" win in the FA Cup.
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    so if i understand this a club that is in a huge amount of debt gets punished by increasing their debt?

Wouldnt a significant points deduction be better? I dont mean 10 points like going into admin but 20, 30, half their final total etc....
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member

I think the billionaires are great for the game. The money they spend gets bounced round the league elsewhere. By paying big money for players they enable other clubs to do the same.

I don't like that they are embraced and then we try to stop them because we don't like it. I think if its your club then you can do what you like. I don't expect many Leeds and Portsmouth fans to agree but if they were being honest they would say they weren't complaining when their sides were doing rather better than is now the case.

tbh when Leeds were spending money which we didn't really have i was always suspicious of where it was coming from
    in hindsight the stupid thing is to actually get to the champions league we didn't actually spend that much , its when we got there the problems started plus DOL , obsession
    of competing with the then top two in man utd/arsenal which was never going to happen
    i believe and still do that had we stayed where we were then
    about 6th , we still be a top 10 premier league side , but most of our fans don't see it that way, or didn't then
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clubs like Portsmouth weren't owned by billionnaires and neither was Birmingham another Club owned by a supposed mega rich Far East megalomaniac. They were sheisters. If you ask most Pompey fans whether the owners were behaving responsibly a the time and you'll get short shrift - despite their "glory" win in the FA Cup.

Retrospective complaint, I am afraid. I did not hear an ounce of complaint when the money was being spent.
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    tbh when Leeds were spending money which we didn't really have i was always suspicious of where it was coming from
    in hindsight the stupid thing is to actually get to the champions league we didn't actually spend that much , its when we got there the problems started plus DOL , obsession
    of competing with the then top two in man utd/arsenal which was never going to happen
    i believe and still do that had we stayed where we were then
    about 6th , we still be a top 10 premier league side , but most of our fans don't see it that way, or didn't then

Absolute bollocks of the highest order. No one questioned it. You were spending £30k a week on tropical fish and seth johnson and you loved every minute of it!

Retrospectively you can view it as being a disaster but i dont remember any Leeds fans saying "we shouldnt be here" back when you were challenging for a UEFA Cup spot.
  • simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Man United has been terrific for The Glazers, inconveniently for FC United followers.

Fixed that for you.
  • simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolute bollocks of the highest order. No one questioned it. You were spending £30k a week on tropical fish and seth johnson and you loved every minute of it!

Retrospectively you can view it as being a disaster but i dont remember any Leeds fans saying "we shouldnt be here" back when you were challenging for a UEFA Cup spot.

He clearly states that most Leeds fans didn't question it. I still don't understand the logic of not having sympathy for clubs who's finances have gone tits up. If someones house fell off a cliff would you be sympathetic or tell them they shouldn't have bought the house in the first place.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    so if i understand this a club that is in a huge amount of debt gets punished by increasing their debt?

Wouldnt a significant points deduction be better? I dont mean 10 points like going into admin but 20, 30, half their final total etc....

It's not debt, it's financial losses. QPR can have their debt written off by their owner but the losses remain. There is huge doubt that Fernandes can afford these losses, he's no Abramovich certainly. Mittal is also involved and can afford it but he's not the owner.
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member

Of course most fans didn't question it at the time, because at the time most fans had no idea what was going on behind the scenes - the stuff about Seth Johnson's wages and tropical fish only came out afterwards.

Plus as Robbedin73 says, at the time that Leeds were challenging for a UEFA cup spot they weren't spending money they didn't have anyway, that only started after they had already achieved it.
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Coen wrote: »
    Of course most fans didn't question it at the time, because at the time most fans had no idea what was going on behind the scenes - the stuff about Seth Johnson's wages and tropical fish only came out afterwards.

Plus as Robbedin73 says, at the time that Leeds were challenging for a UEFA cup spot they weren't spending money they didn't have anyway, that only started after they had already achieved it.

think we ought to know our own clubs history ,coen ;)
    Forum Member
    simonl87 wrote: »
    He clearly states that most Leeds fans didn't question it. I still don't understand the logic of not having sympathy for clubs who's finances have gone tits up. If someones house fell off a cliff would you be sympathetic or tell them they shouldn't have bought the house in the first place.

If i was responsible for pushing the house off the cliff i wouldnt court the sympathy of those who were happy to see the house being bought in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many Man City and Chelsea fans doing the rounds are actually saying they really should not be spending the money they do based on what might happen if the owners pack it in?

It is only seen as disastrous after the disaster occurs and never ever before, in my experience.
    Forum Member
    Coen wrote: »

Thats absolutely right,

QPR invested heavily in sh!te and got relegated because the players they bought simply did not have the levels of professionalism to justify the money spent on them.

QPR have actively taken the choice to win this league at whatever cost and as such have effectively reduced the chances of promotion for the other clubs who are trying to win points while operating a more sound financial model.

Other clubs like Forest are doing what QPR are doing to a lesser extent and will probably be fined if they are promoted while exceeding the permitted losses. If they stay down the get a transfer embargo until they pay off their debts.
  • Rolling StoneRolling Stone Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Fernandes just tweeted that there is nothing true in the rumour.

Quiet weekend for press so time to embellish the germ of a story I guess......
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fernandes just tweeted that there is nothing true in the rumour.

Quiet weekend for press so time to embellish the germ of a story I guess......

Has he. So it must be untrue then.

Somehow I don't quite trust him I'm sorry. He says in his tweet it's not accurate not that it's untrue. There's a difference. Also in his ego filled tweets he calls his Club a global brand. Arghhhh!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonl87 wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

Don't see what you are getting at whatsoever.