Ramsgate - would you live here?

andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
Forum Member
Some of you here might be aware of my previous threads re locations to live. Now after almost 33 properties search in diff counties for almost 3 mos, we think we found the one and it is in Ramsgate, specifically Margate Road.

It is a nice Victorian house with contemporary interior which is what sold it for me, the kitchen esp is fabulous.

We've driven around Ramsgate which looks OK, at least there is Waitrose and we saw Royal Esplanade which is beautiful, it's like a diff city altogether.

We made an offer, however there is this niggling feeling about the location/street where the house is that I feel I still need to be convinced.

Any of you know Ramsgate well and your opinion of Margate Road pls.

Comments

• andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Anyone might have an idea what living in Ramsgate is like, pls?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Althought I don't live in Ramsgate I do have some knowledge of the area but not that specific road. Personally, I wouldn't chose to live in Ramsgate unless I really had to. Although there is plenty to do the ferry makes it very busy with a lot of traffic and people passing through. Also, I'm not sure if it's still the same but there used to be a large number of B&Bs for the homeless etc. There are much nicer places a little bit inland imo. When we moved from SE London a few years ago Thanet was our original choice as we visited it regularly. However, we soon realised that apart from it being full of Londoners (we might as well have stayed where we were) it is actually quite isolated in respect of going anywhere else. Most places we would want to go would involve crossing London and making every trip a chore. However if you need to be there for personal reasons I would look a bit more inland at places like Minster for example. This is just my opinion though and I'm sure many would disagree.

What are you actually looking for in this move? Good schools, peace and quiet or lively area, how many beds, budget, low crime rates etc.
  • Poppy99Poppy99 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Sorry to raise your hopes, I don't know Ramsgate as I only went when I was a nipper, but the fact that it has a Waitrose is indicative of the demographic of the area, which is a good thing. Call me a snob!
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ramsgate itself is fine, There are rough parts as in any town (just stay away from the council estates). Margate road is ok superb for shopping with westwood shopping centre just down that road.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im from SE london too and we moved to Thanet, we are looking to move back as per above, its too far away from everything. However, second to Broadstairs, Ramsgate is okish, I think Margate Road is a busy road and dont personally ever choose to live on a main road due to noise. We dont mind Ramsgate actually and often go there, it has a vibrant but not posh high street, but not too bad and the front is nice with bars and restaurants.

The Broadstairs/Ramsgate borders are nice and so are the little roads off and around college road.

I wouldnt recommend Minster, its in the middle of nowhere and has nothing there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poppy99 wrote: »
    Sorry to raise your hopes, I don't know Ramsgate as I only went when I was a nipper, but the fact that it has a Waitrose is indicative of the demographic of the area, which is a good thing. Call me a snob!

Snob!:D Our local Waitrose is just 5 minute walk from Morrisons, Wilkinson and some Pound shops etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Im from SE london too and we moved to Thanet, we are looking to move back as per above, its too far away from everything. However, second to Broadstairs, Ramsgate is okish, I think Margate Road is a busy road and dont personally ever choose to live on a main road due to noise. We dont mind Ramsgate actually and often go there, it has a vibrant but not posh high street, but not too bad and the front is nice with bars and restaurants.

The Broadstairs/Ramsgate borders are nice and so are the little roads off and around college road.

I wouldnt recommend Minster, its in the middle of nowhere and has nothing there.

It is very quiet but only a few minutes drive to Ramsgate.
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Thanks all.

I know it's usually location location location 1st and then the property itself. But in this case I really felt in love with the Victorian house and it's interiors ( in East Dulwich where we currently live, this type of property is priced anywhere bet 695k - nearly 1m) and then we consider the area after.

Yes it is on the main road but otherwise it is an ok road and you can walk to Ramsgate train st & park free or drive for less than 5 mins. The one thing though is that the street is just houses and no trees or any greens...apart from the front of each of the Victorian houses & I think there are only about 9 or 11 of this type of house on the one side of the road. It feels a little bland for me and that's because where we are right now we're spoilt with greens around us not to mention we are parallel opp the park.

Anyway I think I still have to give this one some serious thinking and consideration.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all.

I know it's usually location location location 1st and then the property itself. But in this case I really felt in love with the Victorian house and it's interiors ( in East Dulwich where we currently live, this type of property is priced anywhere bet 695k - nearly 1m) and then we consider the area after.

Yes it is on the main road but otherwise it is an ok road and you can walk to Ramsgate train st & park free or drive for less than 5 mins. The one thing though is that the street is just houses and no trees or any greens...apart from the front of each of the Victorian houses & I think there are only about 9 or 11 of this type of house on the one side of the road. It feels a little bland for me and that's because where we are right now we're spoilt with greens around us not to mention we are parallel opp the park.

Anyway I think I still have to give this one some serious thinking and consideration.

have you looked around the park area, cant remember the name of the roads off the top of my head, they are big grand houses
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Some of you here might be aware of my previous threads re locations to live. Now after almost 33 properties search in diff counties for almost 3 mos, we think we found the one and it is in Ramsgate, specifically Margate Road.

It is a nice Victorian house with contemporary interior which is what sold it for me, the kitchen esp is fabulous.

We've driven around Ramsgate which looks OK, at least there is Waitrose and we saw Royal Esplanade which is beautiful, it's like a diff city altogether.

We made an offer, however there is this niggling feeling about the location/street where the house is that I feel I still need to be convinced.

Any of you know Ramsgate well and your opinion of Margate Road pls.
    The East kent coast is getting popular now after Whitstable enticed the rich people and arty types.

Ramsgate is sandy Margate was tacky with a nice beach.

Broadstairs is nice.

Do not go anywhere near Sheerness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    have you looked around the park area, cant remember the name of the roads off the top of my head, they are big grand houses

St lawrence/ellington or there's King george 5th the other side of ramsgate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    St lawrence/ellington or there's King george 5th the other side of ramsgate.

Ellington Im thinking of the roads round there, and also Vale Square is lovely round there if you get a house that hasnt been converted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't do it! Look at Broadstairs, Deal and surrounding areas, Canterbury and villages around there. Anywhere but Ramsgate and Margate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ramsgate is a lot better than margate, Broadstairs maybe trumps it a little bit but has it's own problems in areas.

Just stay away from newington estate and nixon avenue and you'll be ok ;-)
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was quite content living in Ramsgate, moved there in 2003, prefer Broadstairs, but plan to move to Deal soon,love it there.
    There are some rough parts of Ramsgate, also some nice bits, it is so easy for shops, train, parking etc, but not as pretty as Broadstairs, which is lovely, Margate, Ramsgate and Broadstairs are so close to one another though.
    I have so many friends here, much more than when I lived in Surrey, walking on the beach with or without a dog, I am never without someone to chat to.

Could you short term rent somewhere until you adjust to the different parts of Thanet before you commit to buying a house? At least you can familiarise yourself with the different towns.
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramsgate is a lot better than margate, Broadstairs maybe trumps it a little bit but has it's own problems in areas.

Yep, definitely.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As said above, avoid Newington, and remember Margate Rd runs quite close to it. Ramsgate is generally better than Margate these days, but that isn't saying much. If you must live in Thanet, your best bets are Broadstairs, Westgate and Birchington, although they're more expensive.

On this map, everything between Newington Rd and the A256 avoid.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Ramsgate/@51.344496,1.386425,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x47d94cd3255c6b75:0x579401fdfa599855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    As said above, avoid Newington, and remember Margate Rd runs quite close to it. Ramsgate is generally better than Margate these days, but that isn't saying much. If you must live in Thanet, your best bets are Broadstairs, Westgate and Birchington, although they're more expensive.

On this map, everything between Newington Rd and the A256 avoid.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Ramsgate/@51.344496,1.386425,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x47d94cd3255c6b75:0x579401fdfa599855

I live quite close to where it says B2014 ^_^, It used to be awful here, Sure it's a bit run down but it has improved over the last ten years as a lot of the trouble families have been somewhat dispersed instead of huddled together.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live quite close to where it says B2014 ^_^, It used to be awful here, Sure it's a bit run down but it has improved over the last ten years as a lot of the trouble families have been somewhat dispersed instead of huddled together.

Newington Centre today.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My in laws live in Westgate and thats really nice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »

They've got a bit more done now :D

I went through a few weeks back, First time in about ten years, I used to live up the road when newington was at it's worst ^_^

It wasn't me :blush:
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Anyone might have an idea what living in Ramsgate is like, pls?

I live in Ramsgate :) lovely place to live! its by the sea, has the only royal harbour in the UK, 20 odd miles to France (you can see part of it on a clear day in the distance) its got a shopping centre near it, nice set of independant shops, night life is half decent for a seaside town overall its a lovely place. Like anywhere there are pockets of trouble and it does have that look out for Nixon Avenue and Newington Estate.

Jobs are a bit scarce though Im struggling to find work so be prepared if you are going to move. Margate Road is quite busy but the places along there are very nice to live in.

All in all Ramsgate is a friendly seaside town :) what with summer coming up its heaving! and theres music festivals on too.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    babysweet wrote: »
    Don't do it! Look at Broadstairs, Deal and surrounding areas, Canterbury and villages around there. Anywhere but Ramsgate and Margate.

What are you on about, Ramsgate is fine and heaps better than Margate and then you recommend Deal of all places :D
    Forum Member

Me best mate lived on Nixon Avenue his brother and mum still live there, its quietened down lots now it used to be rough there was always cars on fire or fights going on but now I walk through there at night and nowt happens just a couple of chavs near the shop up the road thats it.

Newington still a bit of a trouble spot but pretty much derelict isnt it? used to visit my grandad he lived in St Johns ave was always dead rough round there same around Melbourne Ave and Dunedin Road
    Forum Member
    What are you on about, Ramsgate is fine and heaps better than Margate and then you recommend Deal of all places :D

Margate is a ghost town and an utter shit dip! quite right! Ramsgate and Broadstairs are best places in Thanet to visit, Minnis Bay is lovely too just off Birchington :)