Sir Bruce Retires!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About time really, he was really showing his age and his presenting during the last two series' has been cringeworthy at times.

+1 vote for Claude. Her cookyness cracks me up!
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Better late than never.
  • MaureenGMaureenG Posts: 19,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Felicity- wrote: »
    I seem to be the only one who would like Anton as his replacement, don't know if Anton would want to retire competitively though :(

No, you're not the only one - I'd like Anton to get the gig :)

He's got the right combination of humour and seriousness, knows his stuff and can dance - and his chin is a Brucie Bonus :D:blush:
  • Christian CageChristian Cage Posts: 6,239
    Forum Member
    Damahepa wrote: »
    I do so wish we could share Tom Bergeron with Dancing With The Stars, if Len and Bruno can do both... :(

It's a shame that we can't have Tom Bergeron. I think he and Claudia Winkleman would be an awesome presenting team. :)
  • schmomlinschmomlin Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I would be happy with Claudia and Tess.

Or, have a complete makeover and have Graham Norton and Emma Willis.
  • Frank MagFrank Mag Posts: 1,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Michael McIntyre could replace him

Obviously a delayed April Fools ;). If Michael McIntyre got the gig no one else would get a word in edgeways...including Bruno. NO, NO, NO
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't let Mrs winkle present dinner to my dog.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I am really sorry to see him go. I think he was terrific at it.

He was always great without the autocue or someone talking in his ear, but admittedly with both of those there were 'moments'.

But I think the dose of personality and showbiz he brought with him far outweighed that. Tess is fine but not great and is missing the charisma factor so I hope that if the BBC do go the way of an all woman double header that Claudia gets the main gig.

So a big thank you to Brucie from me, I think he helped make the show the HUGE success it is now and I, for one, will miss him.
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC need to get Paul O'Grady. He would be immense.

Seconded. :p
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite predictable after his difficulties last year but I think he'll be fine for the non-live shows for another year or two.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally!!!! Bruce was awful on SCD, his jokes were stale and outdated, it was always 'me me me' with Bruce I'm soo happy about this.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best for everyone that he stepped down now, I like Claudia not that keen on Tess so if they get it I hope Claud gets the main part, I would love Paul O Grady to do it and dont mind Anton. Really dont want a Tess and Vernon combo though.
  • simfransimfran Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    The right decision, Sir Bruce. Thanks for all the memories.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I'm not surprised, but I imagine he'll remain a part of the show in spirit.

For all we complained about him, Bruce IS Strictly to many so the task is now on to replace him with someone. Whoever it is will suffer a huge backlash both in the media and on here, so they need to be able to whether that and put their own stamp on the proceedings.

My gut instinct says it will be Alexander Armstrong, but what do I do.
  • HelenW82HelenW82 Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I'll miss Bruce as painful as he was to watch sometimes.

Anyone that can entertain on a Saturday night for the whole of my life thus far has my up most respect.

Would love to see Claudia and Tess work together all the time, the shows they have done and the results shows have entertained.

Or Claudia with another male, someone like Graham Norton as I think they would be brilliant together.

Reckon there will be LOTS of names speculated between now the official announcement of Bruce's replacement.
  • SueDokuSueDoku Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank goodness...!!! :)

Now let's start to support Tess and Claudia taking over and we'll once more have a show that's watchable live and doesn't need recording so that the duff bits can be fast-forwarded...!

Oh, and while you're at it BBC, cut out the daft videos and let's see more of the professional dancers - even if it means enlarging the 'troupe' :D
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,169
    Forum Member
    CelticMyth wrote: »
    Anne Widdecombe or Andrew Neil as his replacement please.

God Forbid! ghastly pair! :o
  • ruby-tuesdayruby-tuesday Posts: 8,467
    Forum Member
    I would love Graham Norton to do it. I thought he was great presenting those Andrew Lloyd Webber reality shows.

yes, he was, I wouldn't mind Graham Norton or Paul O'Grady but definitely not Alan Carr as I can't stand the man :o
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sir Bruce first appeared on the BBC in 1939
    and has been causing wars ever since
  • sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is interesting that they are saying Brucie has stepped down, wasn't he 'having that conversation' with Charlotte Moore of the BBC this week? Anyway good luck to him, I wish him health and happiness.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    I really wish him well. He made SCD, no doubt about that, but the time has come for him to step down. He has done it with dignity, and I admire him for that.

I wish him well.

My only fear now is who will take over from him. He is a tough act to follow.

It's not a tough act to follow. He didn't do much at all.
  • pinkwaferpinkwafer Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terry will implode. Although it will spare the forum endless gushing threads about Sir Bruce.

I think Tess and Claudia would be fine to carry on.
  • xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not too shocked by this, I will miss him as much as he was unbearable at times just because he's did 11 series and we're that used to seeing him.

I hope they have Tess and Claudia as presenters, if they go for a male host I could see them picking Graham Norton, Vernon Kay or Paul O'Grady. I just hope it isn't John Barrowman I find him unbearable.
  • tonycollins100tonycollins100 Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope that they don't bring in the "token" man to replace him. The girls have proved they can run the show even better between them. Give them at least one season before jumping for the "safe" option of having a man up front.
  • MissT10MissT10 Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    I really hope that they don't bring in the "token" man to replace him. The girls have proved they can run the show even better between them. Give them at least one season before jumping for the "safe" option of having a man up front.

Absolutely...