Options

Solar Radio - where is their studio?

epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They have a mailing address in Beckenham, South East London. Is this where their studio is located?

Comments

• Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    They have a mailing address in Beckenham, South East London. Is this where their studio is located?

I think so, they used to have a studio/office complex in Dulwich which was vacated when they moved to Beckenham.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    epsom wrote: »

The mailing address is no longer in Beckenham, neither is the studio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clive R wrote: »
    The mailing address is no longer in Beckenham, neither is the studio.
    Any idea where the studio is?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I know a few of the DJ's have their own studio's, which they broadcast from and connect via ISDN. Dave Brown being one of them from his home in Mid Suffolk. (Peel must have started something!)
  • Options
    mgbstagmgbstag Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have often wondered this. I know Brett Baker who is part of the Les Adams show on Solar uses this forum so over to you Brett we need to know lol.
  • Options
    CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure I read a featurette not that long ago with one of their DJ's in which Leysdown (Isle Of Sheppey, Kent) was mentioned as the 'new' base.
  • Options
    Cymon HCymon H Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgbstag wrote: »
    I have often wondered this. I know Brett Baker who is part of the Les Adams show on Solar uses this forum so over to you Brett we need to know lol.

Brett records the show from Les Adams house doesn't he ?
    I hear Solar guys saying from our Central London Studios sometimes on air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the old days as a pirate there studio was just walking distance from my house at Crystal Palace ( of course I did not know that at the time ;)) I just knew it was round there somewhere.
  • Options
    Jamie6767Jamie6767 Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the mid 80s when they were a pirate. The Cool Notes, Change, etc on the play list. The ads for the Limelight Club! The uncertainty as to whether the show you were listening to would stay on air to the end before they were raided (only for them to relaunch somewhere else a couple of days later).

Anyone have any recordings from the pirate days?

EDIT: Oh and is that previous poster "the" Clive R?!
  • Options
    Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamie6767 wrote: »
    Loved the mid 80s when they were a pirate. The Cool Notes, Change, etc on the play list. The ads for the Limelight Club! The uncertainty as to whether the show you were listening to would stay on air to the end before they were raided (only for them to relaunch somewhere else a couple of days later).

Anyone have any recordings from the pirate days?

EDIT: Oh and is that previous poster "the" Clive R?!

Brings back great memories of that era..LWR, JFM, Skyline, Horizon..all great London stations with good signals. Of course back then the stations could not legally be taken off air instantly like these days. I remember listening to Horizon one day when the investigation people turned up at the studio..they were let in and the station broadcast with the guys looking around the studios. Of course, after the visit the studios were moved as the legal process for that address would then be started. In general the sound of the stations was very good, far better than some of the current licenced stations.
  • Options
    satman17satman17 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was led to believe his studio was upstairs of the stowmarket maltings where the nightclub was or still is.
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Peace100 wrote: »
    Brings back great memories of that era..LWR, JFM, Skyline, Horizon..all great London stations with good signals. Of course back then the stations could not legally be taken off air instantly like these days. I remember listening to Horizon one day when the investigation people turned up at the studio..they were let in and the station broadcast with the guys looking around the studios. Of course, after the visit the studios were moved as the legal process for that address would then be started. In general the sound of the stations was very good, far better than some of the current licenced stations.

I've still got my LWR sweat shirt from that era. I think I had to write offto an address, arecord shop I believe, in Croydon somewhere. I have a Solar Radio T-shirt from then too. I think I got it in 1987 or so.

I recorded the last Radio Horizon closing down show. I may still have it on cassette somewhere. Not sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was right next to the transmitters , but I remember them getting a great signal out . I remember being able to hear into Essex no problem.
  • Options
    mbanbrookmbanbrook Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    St John's Wood / Maida Vale area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Solar when they were on 102.5 back in 1985 ish playing some great music, used to love listening when I visited my relatives in SE2.
    Also LWR 92.5, Starpoint, Horizon, TKO - all truly fantastic stations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mbanbrook wrote: »
    That is the area the Solar Radio studio is located in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember as a teenager specifically installing a big FM antenna in my parents loft so I could listen to Solar in decent stereo.

One day I won a competition and I think a DJ called Gary Kent mailed me out a white label copy of Change "Let's Go Together" 12" single which I still own. EDIT: which is now playing on the turntable!

I also bought a Solar Radio white sweatshirt with a target type logo on the front.

And for some reason I am now thinking of an ad talking about a "King J Root Party" voiced by a very deep voiced chap who did a lot of the ads.

Ah, memories! I wonder where C J Carlos is now....
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a very deep voiced chap who did a lot of the ads.

Bill Mitchell? As heard at the start of this Youtube clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o56_iMyqSD0
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Bill Mitchell? As heard at the start of this Youtube clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o56_iMyqSD0

Ah, great link.

London's music frequency on 92.5 - which became 92.05!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »

That's him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah I remember the King J Root Party trailer/ad also often mentioned was 'Gullivers' bar or nightclub.
  • Options
    Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember as a teenager specifically installing a big FM antenna in my parents loft so I could listen to Solar in decent stereo.

One day I won a competition and I think a DJ called Gary Kent mailed me out a white label copy of Change "Let's Go Together" 12" single which I still own. EDIT: which is now playing on the turntable!

I also bought a Solar Radio white sweatshirt with a target type logo on the front.

And for some reason I am now thinking of an ad talking about a "King J Root Party" voiced by a very deep voiced chap who did a lot of t

Ah, memories! I wonder where C J Carlos is now....

CJ lives in Miami these days...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJ lives in Miami these days...

Anyone know why CJ Carlos has left a big station like Solar to go to an internet only station in Cruise Fm ?
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is right. I know one of the weekend morning and that's where he does his show from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This seems to confirm the location of the Solar Radio studio.

https://www.facebook.com/events/359790014099669/