Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    Husband met Jimmy Saville in late 70s when he presented prizes at end of school awards. He chose the prettiest girl to sit on his lap while he presented the prizes. Hubby always said he was a dirty old man and total lech years before it came out. Kind of shows the different mentality then as none of the teachers at a very good private school batted an eyelid or stepped in to stop Saville from doing what he did.

Not defending him but one year when he was running in The Great North Run, he lost his wrist watch, studded with diamonds etc and worth about £10,000. A collegue of mine who was also doing the run, found it, returned it and was rewarded with a brand new Mini.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Not defending him but one year when he was running in The Great North Run, he lost his wrist watch, studded with diamonds etc and worth about £10,000. A collegue of mine who was also doing the run, found it, returned it and was rewarded with a brand new Mini.

That type of narcissist loves the chance to be patronising and show what they can afford to do for others.
  • hopwoodlhopwoodl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    red tulips wrote: »
    I'm sure that anyone who has ever met Victoria Beckham would agree what a lovely person she is. Shame she gets so much negative press simply because she doesn't smile in photos.

She's not so popular here in hertfordshire where she grew up. I know people who know/knew her and she's always been quite fond of herself apparently,even before fame
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    That type of narcissist loves the chance to be patronising and show what they can afford to do for others.

Perhaps, or maybe he was just grateful. Who knows.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenny Henry came into the travel agents I worked in and asked to use the toilet. Without looking up the person on the front desk informed him that we didn't have a customer toilet. Lenny then exclaimed "Don't you know who I am? I'm Ainsley Harriot!" When the guy on the desk realised who he was he brought him to the office downstairs where he used the loo and spent a couple of minutes chatting to us all. Was a really nice guy, just as he comes across on TV really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Simon Evans (brilliant stand-up) played a gig in town here, after which my girlfriend and her mate and I went to the pub. Long story short, he spent the entire night chatting to me and my gf's mate. When the pub closed he asked "what now?" my GF jokingly said we could go to our place for more booze, which we then did.
    Nice bloke and very intelligent, though he sat on one of my dogs by accident.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribute wrote: »
    Lenny Henry came into the travel agents I worked in and asked to use the toilet. Without looking up the person on the front desk informed him that we didn't have a customer toilet. Lenny then exclaimed "Don't you know who I am? I'm Ainsley Harriot!" When the guy on the desk realised who he was he brought him to the office downstairs where he used the loo and spent a couple of minutes chatting to us all. Was a really nice guy, just as he comes across on TV really.

I really do hate that - why should he get to use the loo just because he is on the telly.
    We used to get footballers come into our pub and I told the staff any drinks and food they gave away to them would come out of their wages - that soon stopped them.:D
  • matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    I really do hate that - why should he get to use the loo just because he is on the telly.
    We used to get footballers come into our pub and I told the staff any drinks and food they gave away to them would come out of their wages - that soon stopped them.:D

Don't think you read the post properly....:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    matchmaker wrote: »
    Don't think you read the post properly....:rolleyes:

Actually I think he did read the post correctly. Henry may have been pretending to be Ainsley Harriott but he was still using the 'fame' card to use a facility which would not be available to your average customer.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I think he did read the post correctly. Henry may have been pretending to be Ainsley Harriott but he was still using the 'fame' card to use a facility which would not be available to your average customer.

Thanks for that - exactly how I read it.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helen Mirren was very charming, patted me on my arm and said 'thank you very much' when I asked for her autograph!

Judi Dench very kind too, as was Ben Whishaw.

Nigel Havers barged my sister out of the way with an umbrella in Oxford Street once - she was 10 at the time!

Saw Paxman on a tour of the old TV Centre and looked incredibly miserable as you'd expect, I didn't dare speak to him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    The OH met Stewart Lee a couple of years back and bought him a pint after a gig. He was on his own and he felt sorry for him. Really nice guy.

We've both had a pint with Richard Herring. Lovely and unassuming, a great drinking partner.

I spoke to Elvis Costello in Utility in Liverpool a few months ago and as I'm a fan I had to go up to him to say hello. He's surprisingly short, softly spoken and really nice. We had a chat about local up and coming bands. :D

We have a friend who works on the big films. Might save a couple of his stories for another day. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Achtung wrote: »
    I read someone met Pete Burns when he was quite famous as a pop star (and not infamous for his surgery). They went over to him in a club and said hello and he said who the hell do you think you are daring to come over and say hello to me, f*** off. They replied with who the hell do you think you are speaking to your fans like that, you're nothing special, you jumped up little freak (or words to that effect). Pete then said, oh I like you, have you got a cigarette and they ended up spending an hour or so chatting! lol

:eek: A bit late I saw this. He sounds completely bonkers.

Not really a celebrity story, but it made me laugh. I was talking to a modestly well known 1960's jazz musician yesterday (now about 90) who used to play in a well known club called the Riverside. It was obviously a swanky place because Princess Margaret and King Hussein of Jordan used to drink there. He said one night Paul Getty, at the time the richest man in the world, came in and was so impressed by the band that he sent the waiter over with a special tip for them. When they opened the envelope they found that the special tip, for five people, was five shillings.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee-rec wrote: »
    I had heard he was a horrible man too but didn't know why people would say that about him. Now I know!

He always came across as abrupt, dour and lacking in humour, this doesn't surprise me, same as a certain ex prime minister from Scotland whose two faced behavour in front of an old lady showed his real colours. I've also heard John Prescott is very unpleasant and Harriet Harman is extremely patronising and uncomfortable around the hoi polloi.
    Haven't met many politicians myself, but did meet Alan Beith, a famous Lib Dem, and he was a very pleasant man and down to earth.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    He always came across as abrupt, dour and lacking in humour, this doesn't surprise me, same as a certain ex prime minister from Scotland whose two faced behavour in front of an old lady showed his real colours. I've also heard John Prescott is very unpleasant and Harriet Harman is extremely patronising and uncomfortable around the hoi polloi.
    Haven't met many politicians myself, but did meet Alan Beith, a famous Lib Dem, and he was a very pleasant man and down to earth.

Gordon Brown is a nasty piece of work behind the scenes. A VERY shady character as well, totally unsuitable to be Prime Minister. The current First Minister of Wales, Carwyn Jones, is a thug, but this pretty much comes across on TV. Charles Kennedy was pleasant enough to me but everyone knew he was a boozer long before it came out.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were rumours about Gordon Brown bullying staff at Number 10. I can well believe that. His wife seems so lovely though?
  • 777Eilidh777Eilidh Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee-rec wrote: »
    I had heard he was a horrible man too but didn't know why people would say that about him. Now I know!

I think he looked like a horrible man! They have put up a statue of him in Glasgow and I despair every time I walk past it.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were rumours about Gordon Brown bullying staff at Number 10. I can well believe that. His wife seems so lovely though?

He made a visit to a hospital I was working at in 1997, was very abusive towards a member of his own staff, swearing at her because there was no lunch laid on after his tour.

A consultant pulled him up on his behaviour and was severely reprimanded a few weeks later by the hospital board, when Blair's daughter was admitted her mother was the nastiest relative I had the misfortune to deal with.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    777Eilidh wrote: »
    I think he looked like a horrible man! They have put up a statue of him in Glasgow and I despair every time I walk past it.

Who??
  • reader123reader123 Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mate of ours knew one of the security men years ago that checked on parking permits near offices. Jennifer Ellison parked in a place and the security man told her she could not park there. She said to him that there was no where else to park, he apologised but said she had to move. She then said. "do you know who I am", so he promptly got on his walky talky and said "Jimmy, can you phone an ambulance, I have a lady here who does not know who she is", she then drove off, lol.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He made a visit to a hospital I was working at in 1997, was very abusive towards a member of his own staff, swearing at her because there was no lunch laid on after his tour.

A consultant pulled him up on his behaviour and was severely reprimanded a few weeks later by the hospital board, when Blair's daughter was admitted her mother was the nastiest relative I had the misfortune to deal with.

Typical hospital board.

Severely reprimand the consultant who told off Brown & GB gets off scot free.

As for Cherie Blair, she's always behaved like royalty ain't she?
  • 777Eilidh777Eilidh Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who??

Ooops sorry, quoted the wrong post. It was about Donald Dewar
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    He always came across as abrupt, dour and lacking in humour, this doesn't surprise me, same as a certain ex prime minister from Scotland whose two faced behavour in front of an old lady showed his real colours.

To be fair, I'm sure all politicians do that. Brown was just unlucky that his mike was still switched on.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Typical hospital board.

Severely reprimand the consultant who told off Brown & GB gets off scot free.

As for Cherie Blair, she's always behaved like royalty ain't she?

Yes, it's always worth remembering the way she ripped off an Australian children's charity as well.

It's interesting to hear other people's stories of Gordon Brown, none of which surprise me. You've all barely scratched the surface with him though.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see there's an upcoming TV special honouring Cilla Black. Considering the posts and links in this thread to stories about her, it'll be amusing to see all the D-listers sucking up to her!