Christopher Eccleston "I love The Doctor"

Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Christopher apparently "loves" The Doctor but wouldn't come back for a little cameo.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I see how this game works!

Colin Baker loves the Doctor but "wouldn't" attend the BFI screening.
  • swadeyswadey Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Erm. Christopher was asked back. Colin wasn't.

Christopher is a dick. Colin isn't.
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    You know Christopher owes you nothing. Because playing the doctor is like any other role and once you leave you`re never associated with the part again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swadey wrote: »

Or maybe there was more to either of these situations than you're aware of?

Until one knows the facts, one shouldn't throw around abusive comments and jump to conclusions.
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Christopher apparently "loves" The Doctor but wouldn't come back for a little cameo.

Yeah, that seems fine to me. Is there supposed to be something wrong with these two statements?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    Yeah, that seems fine to me. Is there supposed to be something wrong with these two statements?

Only in that one part may not be rightly treated as fact, given how little we currently know about the 50th, including its development and its content.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He loves it from afar. :)
    Forum Member
    Only in that one part may not be rightly treated as fact, given how little we currently know about the 50th, including its development and its content.

Yeah I meant is the OP implying there is something wrong with those two statements because I don't see anything conflicting or unbelievable about loving "The Doctor" yet not returning for a cameo.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stay classy, hey?
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    I also love the Doctor but won't be making a cameo in the 50th anniversary special. Does that make me a bad person as well?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    Yeah I meant is the OP implying there is something wrong with those two statements because I don't see anything conflicting or unbelievable about loving "The Doctor" yet not returning for a cameo.

The facts will out in due course. Clearly, no-one is 100% certain of getting what they want from the 50th Special right now - not classic fans, not Eccleston fans, not even Tennant and Smith fans.

Most of all, none of us know what's happening yet and happened this year. Hell, no-one knows, for sure, what happened with Eccleston in 2005! ;)
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that he mentions Joe Ahearne, and the fact that Ahearne didn't come back for series 2 either, is another nod to what happened. I guess the blunt truth of what went on with at least one other director will be talked about one day.

The bottom line is we got a brilliant series 1, regardless of the backstage problems.
    Forum Member
    The facts will out in due course. Clearly, no-one is 100% certain of getting what they want from the 50th Special right now - not classic fans, not Eccleston fans, not even Tennant and Smith fans.

Most of all, none of us know what's happening yet and happened this year. Hell, no-one knows, for sure, what happened with Eccleston in 2005! ;)

Your missing my point. I'm not questioning whether the facts are valid are not. I'm saying I don't see how they are imcompatible with each other which is what the OP seemed to be implying.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    He loves The Doctor so much he decided to trot out a cliched statement about Daleks not being able to climb staircases....
    Maybe he forgot the part in his episode where they were flying up stairs....:confused:

Willing to bet he didn't write that message at all, merely some poor sod at his management company quickly googled the series then typed it out so Chris could sign it off.

But you know...good for him.
    If you love The Doctor so much, get a room Chris :D
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know Christopher owes you nothing. Because playing the doctor is like any other role and once you leave you`re never associated with the part again.

Ummmm... no. There are certain characters which come with history (and sometimes baggage) and are viewed by people differently. The two biggest ones are The Doctor and James Bond. (I believe that playing James Bond even has a contractual obligation with it that you cannot properly wear a tuxedo in any later movies.) These two are both British Institutions more than they are characters and playing the part is an honor and a privilege, not just a job.

The actors who are graced with officially playing these roles (no matter how briefly) will forever be remembered for their part in the role and associated with it.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy Big Brother but there's no way you'd ever get me to go on that show.

I'm guessing a similar logic applies here due to his personal experience with the show.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would you like to be mobbed by rabid Whovians every day of your life? Some of us are almost as bad as those screaming One Direction fans.
    I can fully understand why Eccleston wants to distance himself from the show. He saw it as an acting job and he's clearly proud of what he's done, but he obviously doesn't like the huge baggage which comes with the role.
    That said, I've heard stories that he has been perfectly civil and pleasant to any fans who have approached him so it's not as if he rudely tells them to go away or anything.

Eccleston doesn't owe you anything. At the end of the day, the Doctor is an acting job and he has no obligation to pander to the show's fans.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Willing to bet he didn't write that message at all, merely some poor sod at his management company quickly googled the series then typed it out so Chris could sign it off.

I will take that bet. Why would he be willing to do that for his management company and not for, you know, himself?
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What evidence do you have of Chris behaving like a "dick"? Your sort (entitled crybabies) never seem to support their hysterical outbursts with actual evidence.

Would you go back to your old job for just a day or two? Regardless of what other commitments you may have scheduled? Regardless of how much or how little they offered to pay you? Regardless of whether you would be playing second fiddle to your replacement(s)? Regardless of how far you would have to travel from where you're currently living/working?

I doubt you would. But you somehow think Christopher Eccleston should do just that because he played a certain role eight years ago.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew that someone would try and put a negative spin on the lovely message that Chris sent to the BFI, still the audience who were there were quite clearly touched by it, which is really all that matters.

the whole tone of the letter suggested rather strongly that it was personally written, quite honestly, so I think thats a bet you would lose.
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really not sure why so many people have been so quick to jump on the "defend Christopher Eccleston no matter what" brigade, while at the same time being frightfully unpleasant to anyone who happens to have a problem with his apparent attitude to Doctor Who.

I understand he didn't enjoy his time. I understand he has no obligation to anyone. But even the great Tom Baker was criticised for his dismissive attitude back in the 80s, and if Doc 4 can, so can Doc 9. As far as I'm concerned, if he didn't want the baggage that came with the role, he shouldn't have taken the role.

It's all very well and good stating things like, "well, he had no idea how popular the show would become." Come on, he's not an idiot. The show was MASSIVE in the 70s. Even now, fans treat Baker through to McGann like royalty. He must have known the fandom he would receive if the show even had a fraction of that fame.

The fact is, the role of the Doctor comes with certain responsibilities and ties. He would know he would always be associated with it. Fair enough, he's friendly to fans. Fair enough, nobody can rightly force the bloke to do anything. But his dismissive, and now sarcastic, attitude to the 50th has grated on many people, and its easy to see why. When Colin and Sly and McGann have stated they'd love to be asked back, and Tennant jumped at the chance, to see the 9th Doctor be so dismissive in comparison quite rightly can annoy many people.

Despite this, it really doesn't bother me. The 9th is not my favourite, as brilliant as it would be to see 9 and 11 interact; I reckon they would find each other completely ridiculous. And I do agree people go too far in their criticism of him. I think he's a brilliant actor. Really looking forward to seeing him in Thor and future projects. It's his attitude to Doctor Who I question, which when compared to the other Doctors, is actually quite a shame. He brought the show back! Why is he so dismissive of it?

Ah well.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread seems to be running away with itself yet no one has asked the op for his source for the quote.. so I will.. where is the interview ?
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    This thread seems to be running away with itself yet no one has asked the op for his source for the quote.. so I will.. where is the interview ?

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/08/eccleston-message-to-bfi.html
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recently i saw my old boss who i worked for in a small shop for about 3 years back in 1997, he and his wife made my life hell for the whole 3 years i was there, being 17 i just put up with it.

He asked me if i'm ever in need of work to give him a call, i instantly felt anger but decided just to walk off.

My point is why would CE go back to something he hated, he did the job and left and moved on, he doesn't owe the BBC or dr who anything what so ever.

admittedly it is a shame he hates it so much but that's life.
  • Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Ah, I see how this game works!

Colin Baker loves the Doctor but "wouldn't" attend the BFI screening.

Colin was in Toronto Canada attending the attempt to break the world record of most Daleks in one room during Fan Expo 2013