Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm seeing it again tonight :D
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    The people who have said that the 3D was good (me included) seem to be people who saw it on an IMAX screen, so i suppose that it's possible that 3D on a regular screen might be less "striking".

On the contrary - I found some of it too "in your face" - to such an extent that the scene where it was employed looked incredibly fake.

Its almost as if they have gone for the eye popping 3D effect - rather than a more realistic and subtle sense of depth.

3D if done well can work to enhance a movie (e.g. Avatar) - but it can be very distracting if not done right (Transformers DOTM and The Avengers).

Of course - all of this is subjective. One man's junk is another man's treasure.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoyed that film.

I'd give it an 8/10 as I did feel that it dragged a little in the middle and, from a plot point of view it was basically a fight over a shiny box. If you are going to conquer a world as well I'd suggest just attacking New York isn't going to do it so there was a bit of a lack of threat there for me.

But the bringing of these characters together was spectacularly well done and the mix of drama and humour equally so.

I'd watch the Hulk and Thor on screen together for hours-- for some reason for me they're perfect together.

Maybe they could make a Rush Hour film together !!
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Seeing this tomorrow afternoon. Slightly apprehensive....
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it this afternoon, and I really loved it, the last hour in particular was fantastic. I think they got a really nice blend between action and humour, and also the ensemble cast were all given something of note to do, with no feeling under used or out of place.

I do agree with a lot of people in this thread who think The Hulk/Bruce Banner was the stand out though. I really thought Ruffalo delivered the the character far better than anyone has managed to do on the big screen. He just seemed to get in to the mind of the character as it should be somehow. And wow did The Hulk get some terrifically funny moments as well as being kick arse. Really loved the Banner/ Stark scenes as well.

I even rather liked Captain America here, having been a bit lukewarm on him previously. I feel there was a welcome injection of irony in the character which made it work better.

The only negative I could maybe come up with is that inspite of it's pretty lengthy running time, the story did still feel a little rushed at times, but it's a minor quibble. 9/10
  • Options
    AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanos !!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atlantic wrote: »
    Thanos !!!

Yeahhhhhhh I'd put that in spoilers like RIGHT NOW
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeahhhhhhh I'd put that in spoilers like RIGHT NOW

Given you just quoted his post there isn't really much point unless you remove said quote yourself...;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Given you just quoted his post there isn't really much point unless you remove said quote yourself...;)

Well....... egg and my face are in alignment
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To those who have seen it in regards to the mid credit sequence...
    I have never read the comics or seen any of the cartoons, so had no idea that was meant to be Thanos at the end. I actually thought it was The Red Skull from Captain America!!! I thought this because - it was rumoured he was going to be a baddie in this! And he had a red "skull like" face!! And in Cap.America, I thought maybe he was teleported away rather then dying. I guess he died then :P
  • Options
    PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To those who have seen it in regards to the mid credit sequence...
    I have never read the comics or seen any of the cartoons, so had no idea that was meant to be Thanos at the end. I actually thought it was The Red Skull from Captain America!!! I thought this because - it was rumoured he was going to be a baddie in this! And he had a red "skull like" face!! And in Cap.America, I thought maybe he was teleported away rather then dying. I guess he died then :P
    I am colour blind but I am sure his face was a bluish colour :o
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am colour blind but I am sure his face was a bluish colour :o
    I was 100% sure his face was red. But now I doubt my self 100% completely now :(:o
  • Options
    PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 100% sure his face was red. But now I doubt my self 100% completely now :(:o

I could be completely wrong myself, I have been searching but it looks like Marvel are doing a good job of getting everything removed from the internet :)
  • Options
    Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    On the contrary - I found some of it too "in your face" - to such an extent that the scene where it was employed looked incredibly fake.

Its almost as if they have gone for the eye popping 3D effect - rather than a more realistic and subtle sense of depth.

3D if done well can work to enhance a movie (e.g. Avatar) - but it can be very distracting if not done right (Transformers DOTM and The Avengers).

Of course - all of this is subjective. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

I have not seen a good example of 3D - apart from Beowolf and Avatar - until now with Avengers - although this was IMAX 3D. Is there a difference between Real3D and IMAX 3D?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bonzai1888 wrote: »
    Film was a 10 out 10 for me. Loved it from start to finish. This film will be put on a pedestal by some kids the same way I put the original Star Wars when I saw it at the Odeon in Glasgow many moons ago.

HAHAHAHA ROTFLMAO. I don't know how anyone can compare this to StarWars.

To me this is just another forgettable action movie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HAHAHAHA ROTFLMAO. I don't know how anyone can compare this to StarWars.

To me this is just another forgettable action movie.

Yeah the 4/5 year build up and insane public and critical reaction I'm sure this will be forgotten in a month.
  • Options
    NickClapperNickClapper Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I've got to go against general critical reaction and say that this was a distinctly average superhero film, more Iron Man 2 than Iron Man. Not sure what all the fuss has been about when 80% of the movie is just alien robots blowing stuff up.

I wrote a longer, less happy review which y'all might like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got to go against general critical reaction and say that this was a distinctly average superhero film, more Iron Man 2 than Iron Man. Not sure what all the fuss has been about when 80% of the movie is just alien robots blowing stuff up.

I wrote a longer, less happy review which y'all might like.

Is it?
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well someone was going to be the first not to be blown away and amazed by the film and be critical of it. I guess that person is me. Don't get me wrong, it's a good film but I wasn't blown away by it. This could be because I don't go mad for SFX like some people do.

To be fair, do you not think that is a tiny bit insulting to everyone who loved the film?

I loved it and the SFX were only a part of that. I have very little interest in films that are all spectacle and no substance. What put it over for me were the characters and the character interactions. The SFX was the icing on the cake; the bits that made me grin during the action sequences. But if I didn't give a crap about the characters, I wouldn't be grinning when they kicked spectacular arse!

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't think to tell you what to think of the film. You clearly enjoyed it, but weren't overwhelmed by it. Fair enough. But to claim the reason for that is because you don't go mad for SFX, kinda implies that anyone who did love it only did so because they are easily pleased by eye candy.

Still, on the positive, if a poor review of this film ends with a 7/10, I guess its doing quite well! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The film for the UK should have gone with the title : The Avengers Initiative. Instead of Avengers Assemble.

The Hawkeye character is an absolute waste of space.

The bad acting by almost all of them, especially while delivering the 'funny' comments.

Too much Iron Man being shown as the central character.

The end of the fighting was just stupid and abrupt.
  • Options
    MarakaerMarakaer Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The film for the UK should have gone with the title : The Avengers Initiative. Instead of Avengers Assemble.

From a producing and marketing standpoint, 'The Avengers Initiative' is a far worse title than 'Avengers Assemble' - it sounds like a more cerebral and measured affair, whereas Avengers Assemble is suitably cheesy and a more kinetic and active title.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marakaer wrote: »
    From a producing and marketing standpoint, 'The Avengers Initiative' is a far worse title than 'Avengers Assemble' - it sounds like a more cerebral and measured affair, whereas Avengers Assemble is suitably cheesy and a more kinetic and active title.
    At least the words 'The Avengers Initiative' is spoken in the film by Fury.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My opinion is that i loved it. Only wish it could overcome the rights issues and involve the X-Men and Spiderman. I know that's like adding seven or eight more characters but if someone can make it work, that's perfect :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    To be fair, do you not think that is a tiny bit insulting to everyone who loved the film?

I loved it and the SFX were only a part of that. I have very little interest in films that are all spectacle and no substance. What put it over for me were the characters and the character interactions. The SFX was the icing on the cake; the bits that made me grin during the action sequences. But if I didn't give a crap about the characters, I wouldn't be grinning when they kicked spectacular arse!

I agree with that, I think what really sets this film apart from a lot of films in the genre is that the script is fabulous and it actually has some really nice moments of character development. Also the humour and injection of irony into the piece adds so much value to it.

I'm the last person in the world to be over awed by special effects, and although there were a number of spectacular ones here, if it weren't for the other things I mention this film would have been a 6/10 at best for me. It was the other things I mention that made it great for me.