£835 charge to open a grave! Why?

PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
Forum Member
✭✭
My grandad died on Saturday and the undertaker today revealed that we have to pay £850 to reopen the grave they already purchased. Why? What's behind that cost? That's almost a monthly wage for what, in my ignorant, unknowing mind, sounds like less than a day's work.

Why so expensive? What do they do with it to use up that payment?

Comments

• alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear the sad news.

No doubt it will be in the contract smallprint.
    All you can really do is warn potential future customers about this practice and company.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    funerals in general are hellishly expensive, the last one i had anything to do with was nearly £4k...for what is essentially a fancy box and like you said, a days work
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who owns the graveyard/cemetery? A local council or some other body? Presumably it rather than the undertaker would do the work of reopening the grave? I wonder what it charges and how much the undertaker is adding to the cost?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear your sad news :( This is the last thing you need.

I would check the costs direct with the owners of the graveyard. This link to a local council suggests it should be about half that price.

http://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/browse/advice-and-benefits/deaths-and-funerals/prices.htm

I suspect it may be cheaper to pay the reopening fee direct rather than through the undertakers. I am sure you must be able to do that.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Sorry to hear the sad news.

No doubt it will be in the contract smallprint.
    All you can really do is warn potential future customers about this practice and company.
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Who owns the graveyard/cemetery? A local council or some other body? Presumably it rather than the undertaker would do the work of reopening the grave? I wonder what it charges and how much the undertaker is adding to the cost?

It's Carmountside cemetery and the literature given to us by the undertaker (very lovely, actually) is headed by and asks us to pay the fee to Stoke-on-Trent city council :eek: I wish it WAS a private company fleecing us...

I was rather hoping someone could give me a solid reason why they're charging that much instead of seeming to confirm my thought that the level of the fee is completely unnecessary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, and thank you for the kind wishes. My grandad was basically my dad... :( I lived with him all my life until this year, and I'm 24! He fed me when I was a baby at night and taught me about the planets, fed me, etc. I'll miss him and his stupid faces and unfathomable jokes :(
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do know that when someone dies within a city boundary and is buried in the neighbouring county (or visa versa) the fees are usually doubled.
    Example:
    My parents died in Leicestershire (County)
    They were buried in Leicester (City)
    The Cemetery is 2 miles from where they lived.
    Cost of new (3 occupant) grave in 1976 for dad was over £500.
    Cost of reopening grave in 2001 for mam was £500
    Had they lived 500yds down the road within the city boundary both of the costs would have been halved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    Oh, and thank you for the kind wishes. My grandad was basically my dad... :( I lived with him all my life until this year, and I'm 24! He fed me when I was a baby at night and taught me about the planets, fed me, etc. I'll miss him and his stupid faces and unfathomable jokes :(

Oh that is really sad ((((((hugs))))))) :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do know that when someone dies within a city boundary and is buried in the neighbouring county (or visa versa) the fees are usually doubled.
    Example:
    My parents died in Leicestershire (County)
    They were buried in Leicester (City)
    The Cemetery is 2 miles from where they lived.
    Cost of new (3 occupant) grave in 1976 for dad was over £500.
    Cost of reopening grave in 2001 for mam was £500
    Had they lived 500yds down the road within the city boundary both of the costs would have been halved.

That might be our situation, possibly. We live in Stoke-on-Trent, which is technically its own county (not sure the exact phrasing). If the cemetery is outside our borders it might count as a different county? I don't know how to find where Stoke ends and Staffordshire officially begins. Like you say it's only 2 miles away, but that can make the difference. The house is on the same road as the cemetery, just opposite ends.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would check the costs direct with the owners of the graveyard. This link to a local council suggests it should be about half that price.

http://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/browse/advice-and-benefits/deaths-and-funerals/prices.htm.

I am very sorry to hear of your loss ... it sounds as if you were brought up by grandad.
    The costs partly cover maintenance etc - and if you look at the end of the page mentioned - the charges are doubled for "non residents" (presumably to cover non ratepayers....)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AS far as I can see, £835 is probably just what Stoke-on-Trent charges for a burial, so it doesn't seem that the undertaker is profiteering:
    Interments: Adults or cremation remains to depth of 6’ including new graves to a depth of
    4’6” and public interments (New 4’6” graves not available at Carmountside)
    City Resident: £835
    http://csd.stoke.gov.uk/ccm/cms-service/download/asset/?asset_id=2370117

I'd admit that I'm somewhat confused by the various charges, though. However, I guess that reopening a grave involves more than just the cost of digging a hole: the headstone might have to be made safe, the grave has to be dug, attendants have to be employed for the funeral to assist with lowering the coffin into the grave and, as technologist said, part of the charge will go towards maintenance of the cemetery in the future.

I suppose the alternative is just to scatter someone's ashes somewhere but of course that often means that there's no sort of memorial for the dead person, and that can make the separation seem more poignant.
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How very sorry I am for your loss and I send you my sincere sympathy and ((((hugs)))). How lucky you were to have such a lovely grandad, what treasured memories you must have of him.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I feel your pain. I miss my Nana terribly; I could talk to her in a way that I've never been able to with my Mum. She was a completely non-judgemental straight-talking girl from Cork, and always had the right advice. Although she died around 5 years ago now, I still sometimes think about giving her a phone call.

Still, happy memories are the best things that remain, and it does get easier :)
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although she died around 5 years ago now, I still sometimes think about giving her a phone call.

One reason I'm taking my Blackberry with me when it's my turn to go. ;)
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there some kind of rule that people have to have funerals? I do not want my family paying the extortionate ransom of death tax for me, and want to stipulate in my will if possible that I just want my lifeless corpse disposed of in the cheapest way possible and without any ceremony. My family will then celebrate my life (if they'd want to, that is!) with a family meal/evening in the pub/whatever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Hi just wanted to say how sorry I am. Your grandad sounds a wonderful man. Take care xx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    Is there some kind of rule that people have to have funerals? I do not want my family paying the extortionate ransom of death tax for me, and want to stipulate in my will if possible that I just want my lifeless corpse disposed of in the cheapest way possible and without any ceremony. My family will then celebrate my life (if they'd want to, that is!) with a family meal/evening in the pub/whatever.
    The cheapest way is probably to have a cremation and then to scatter the ashes somewhere without any kind of marker or memorial.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Sigurd wrote: »
    The cheapest way is probably to have a cremation and then to scatter the ashes somewhere without any kind of marker or memorial.

No, the cheapest way is to arrange to have your body donated to medical research. That's what my former boss did and I can remember clearly him speaking about the subject on many different occasions when I worked for him. I always knew this was his sincere intention.

After his death his friends and family all met-up in a local community hall to chat and remember his life.

It wouldn't be my own choice, I have to admit, but it was very much what he wanted!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    No, the cheapest way is to arrange to have your body donated to medical research. That's what my former boss did and I can remember clearly him speaking about the subject on many different occasions when I worked for him. I always knew this was his sincere intention.

After his death his friends and family all met-up in a local community hall to chat and remember his life.

It wouldn't be my own choice, I have to admit, but it was very much what he wanted!
    Yes, you're right. I was thinking of an acquaintance of mine whose body was cremated in the presence of a few friends, and whose ashes were then scattered in a local wood, but donating one's body to medical research would indeed be cheaper — well, free, presumably.
  • cutekitty7686cutekitty7686 Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My grandad died on Saturday and the undertaker today revealed that we have to pay £850 to reopen the grave they already purchased. Why? What's behind that cost? That's almost a monthly wage for what, in my ignorant, unknowing mind, sounds like less than a day's work.

Why so expensive? What do they do with it to use up that payment?

sorry to hear of your loss , I recently have organised for my mum ashes to go in family grave it cost me £135 i was advised it would be double if done on weekend (i booked it for 2 weeks today) I contacted the council direct for this as they can organise it too.
    Im not sure if they have added extra charges to your but check with your local council how much they charge then you can see the extras added.good luck
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »

My condolences on the loss of your beloved grandad OP. It does sound a very steep cost, and I'm sorry I don't know what to add to what others on this thread have said.

Russellan - no you don't have to have a funeral if you don't want to. You don't have to handle a loved one's arrangments through an undertaker if you don't want to, and amongst other more emotional benefits of this, is that it's cheaper. I recommend The Natural Death Handbook for advice on DIY funerals and deceased loved one's care. You can also buy very cheap cardboard coffins over the internet.
  • SwarfegaSwarfega Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes.
    My step-grandfather died a month ago and he too donated his body to medical research.
    The family then had a simple remembrance service with the nearest and dearest.

The contract he signed was that he was their 'property' for 3 years. However, there was a bit at the bottom which he also ticked. This extended that period to 'indefinite'.
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    I recommend The Natural Death Handbook for advice on DIY funerals and deceased loved one's care.

Thanks Dolls, that info is noted and much appreciated...
    No, the cheapest way is to arrange to have your body donated to medical research.

...as is that, Galaxy. The emboldened bit will certainly do for me, hopefully family will see it that way :)