Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 16)

Comments

• Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't looked at the odds, but if I was a bookie then I'd make Djokovic about 1:3, with Federer say 2:1, Murray 4:1 & Tsonga 5:1.

William Hill:

Nole 4/6
    Fed 7/2
    Andy 9/2
    Tsonga 10/1
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I don't - Murray beat him at Queens last year. Won't be easy - but Murray has to be favorite.

Can't see anyone but Nole winning the final - but we could get our first male singles finalist since 1938 (a mere 74 years ago). Surely after all Tim and Andy's (plus Roger Taylor in the 1970s) semi final defeats it has to change this year!

On the TV they said the head to head is 5-1 in Murray's favour??????

PS Roger Taylor - what a player - 8 in the world at his best.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I don't - Murray beat him at Queens last year. Won't be easy - but Murray has to be favorite.

Can't see anyone but Nole winning the final - but we could get our first male singles finalist since 1938 (a mere 74 years ago). Surely after all Tim and Andy's (plus Roger Taylor in the 1970s) semi final defeats it has to change this year!

It would be absolutely brill if he made the final. He has had tough matches and Tsonga is an obstacle, but not insurmountable. Would love Fed to beat Djok and for Murray to play him in the final. I can dream:D
  • Options
    TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    William Hill:

Nole 4/6
    Fed 7/2
    Andy 9/2
    Tsonga 10/1

Bet on the other 3 and be guaranteed a profit if Nole doesn't win.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh bugger, Murray won. I had hoped that Ferrer could repeat his French Open victory, but my head was telling me that Murray would be too strong on grass.

Pleased that Tsonga won, as I think Tsonga has a better chance of beating Murray on grass, providing he's serving and volleying really well. Could this be Tsonga's year? He missed out in the semi-final last year, and I reckon it's 50-50 between him and Murray this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheFridge wrote: »

Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luckily for Murray, Ferrer took his foot off after first set.

If Murray would just back up his deepest groundstrokes with net approaches he'd radically improve. That and maintain a consistent high level when up against a tough player as opposed to also-rans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a sneaking suspicion Djokovic will massacre Federer in 3 sets.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    Interestingly, in the clips I can find, Connors did in fact stay back, so ignore those finals above with him in them:eek:>snip>
    Get on Youtube to watch some of those other finals, Kid!:D

End of old timer post (can't do a fist - too much arthritis)

:D:D:D LOLOLOL

I know the feeling.

That's one good thing about no roof. I used to DVD all the old classic matches they showed during rainbreaks to keep. Also helped by ESPN who have shown a fair few goodies.

My cup ran over when i managed to get Passarell/ Gonzales from 1967 (? think it was that year). So disillusioned watching it back. No chairs/wooden raquets/no tie breaks- I remember it as totally absorbing and, of course the longest match ever played until 2 years ago.

It was totally boring, pitta-patta tennis compared with todays' power houses. I much prefer watching the game now, though that was the norm back then, so I didn't appreciate how much tennis would evolve.

:confused: Does this post make sense? It sort of does in my head, but not reading it through.

Oh well, add senility to the arthritis :p

• Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    It's interesting that Lendl doesn't do any of it.

Well played Andy. That's a great win. And how good was his serve when he needed it (see my former posts:D)?

Tsonga is on 5Live. He sounds lovely. What a match they will have on Friday.

End of post (Fist pump and 'Yes. 'Towel please' - I'm sweating again after all that typing!)

He said it`s down to his daughters playing golf

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/158452.html
  • Options
    Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so funny watching Mac and Henman on the red button doing the 606 radio show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »

I know the feeling.

That's one good thing about no roof. I used to DVD all the old classic matches they showed during rainbreaks to keep. Also helped by ESPN who have shown a fair few goodies.

My cup ran over when i managed to get Passarell/ Gonzales from 1967 (? think it was that year). So disillusioned watching it back. No chairs/wooden raquets/no tie breaks- I remember it as totally absorbing and, of course the longest match ever played until 2 years ago.

It was totally boring, pitta-patta tennis compared with todays' power houses. I much prefer watching the game now, though that was the norm back then, so I didn't appreciate how much tennis would evolve.

:confused: Does this post make sense? It sort of does in my head, but not reading it through.

Makes sense to me, I remember these players also:D Did you enjoy Andys match?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tissy wrote: »
    He said it`s down to his daughters playing golf

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/158452.html

Interesting piece, Tissy.

When I watched my juniors play matches, I did the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »

I know the feeling.

Hi Tally,

Watch some of those clips I put above. They are not pitta-patta at all.

The difference in the TV pictures detracts from the enjoyment / appreciation.

But if you put the modern clothes and racquets on those Connors / Mac / Borg matches, they would look almost the same.

As we know, the improvements in racquets and strings have enbaled today's players to put significantly more work on the ball.

Hope your knees are OK - mine are not so bad at the moment.
  • Options
    MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone watching the doubles match with Frankie? The noise is unbelievable!
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    I see Simon (I got sacked by the Spice Girls) Fuller was setting in Andy's box, next to Judy

very rare appearance by him, usually likes to stay behind the scenes.

I guess signing with 19 Management must have its uses
  • Options
    MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schiavone, get on with it you moaning ****
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Nadal signed an agreement to play the Halle grass tournament next year? If he hasn't reckon he will revert back to playing at Queen's in 2013.

The last time he lost at Wimbledon in round 2 was in 2005, also the year he last played at Halle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Sports Fan wrote: »
    Has Nadal signed an agreement to play the Halle grass tournament next year? If he hasn't reckon he will revert back to playing at Queen's in 2013.

The last time he lost at Wimbledon in round 2 was in 2005, also the year he last played at Halle.

Hes back at Halle next year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jacqui_B wrote: »
    Hes back at Halle next year

Oh dear:eek: He has quite a few superstitious quirks, and I would have thought he'd have noticed that in each of the years 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011 when he played Queen's, he then went on to reach the Wimbledon final (didn't play Queen's or Wimbledon in 2009 through injury).

He maybe getting a whole lot more money playing Halle, but does it compensate for the hex it places on his Wimbledon progress:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murray was fabulous today!! so excited for Friday we have 2 epics on our hands!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guypd wrote: »
    Luckily for Murray, Ferrer took his foot off after first set.

If Murray would just back up his deepest groundstrokes with net approaches he'd radically improve. That and maintain a consistent high level when up against a tough player as opposed to also-rans.

I and most of us missed that:eek: He played like a demon to the last point IMO. As I would expect from a player of his calibre. You are doing both of them a dis-service.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sports Fan wrote: »
    Oh dear:eek: He has quite a few superstitious quirks, and I would have thought he'd have noticed that in each of the years 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011 when he played Queen's, he then went on to reach the Wimbledon final (didn't play Queen's or Wimbledon in 2009 through injury).

He maybe getting a whole lot more money playing Halle, but does it compensate for the hex it places on his Wimbledon progress:rolleyes:

This is true, I think he has signed a deal to play Halle in 2013 and 14. It wouldn't suprise me if he bought his way out of it and went back to Queen's next year, we shall see.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Simon (I got sacked by the Spice Girls) Fuller was setting in Andy's box, next to Judy

very rare appearance by him, usually likes to stay behind the scenes.

I guess signing with 19 Management must have its uses

Fuller's been outing himself quite a lot recently, he was at the Canadian Grand Prix with Hamilton a few weeks back
This discussion has been closed.