Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 18)

Comments

• Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    just heard Rafa news, bummer hope he comes back soon

technically this means David Ferrer will win USO, judging by the seeding pattern of this year

obviously I'm hoping for someone else ;)
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad for Rafa, but obviously this is quite good news for Andy!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sad news about Rafa. This news takes some sparkle out of the US Open for me. Whoever it may benefit, I always like a GS to have all the top players in attendance.

Rafa will be missed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cry: I'm getting really worried about Rafa now.

Much as I want Andy to win the Slam, I dont want Rafa not playing.

:eek: Even Fed is worried. He's written to him according to Bleachers

EDIT : Agree with you Jimmy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a shame that Rafa cannot play in the US this year. At least he is properly resting and not rushing back. It will be at least 3 months out, possibly 6 if he decides to wait until next year.

Tennis as a sport will definitely suffer as a result, we need that rivalry of Feder/Nadal/Djokovic to keep it in the media.

Also quite crass of the Daily Mail (my guilty pleasure :o) whose headline read 'Boost for Murray as Nadal out of US Open'. Just not needed.

As others have said, he has come back from bad injuries before to become a better player, so lets hope he can do that again.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Petra struggles through against Mona Barthel. Can't see her winning this tournament.
  • Options
    AnneUKAnneUK Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad news about Rafa. This news takes some sparkle out of the US Open for me. Whoever it may benefit, I always like a GS to have all the top players in attendance.

Rafa will be missed

Agreed Jimmy. It's just not the same without him. At least I won't mind so much if the final is played on Monday this year and I can't see it because I'll be away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Sad to hear Rafa has had to withdraw. Im really missing watching him play. Hes doing right thing though and taking the time he needs to recover properly. Tournaments arent the same without him :(
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Rafa. It sounds a bit more serious than tendonitis, also rather vague. I hope he makes a complete recovery and returns to centre stage to excite and enthrall us. Its not the same without him.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    :cry: I'm getting really worried about Rafa now.

Much as I want Andy to win the Slam, I dont want Rafa not playing.

:eek: Even Fed is worried. He's written to him according to Bleachers

EDIT : Agree with you Jimmy.

Me to, I've been wondering for a while whether his injury is more than tendinitis. Each time he withdrew from a tournament I got more concerned. For him to withdraw from a slam is big, I hope he comes back soon.

I keep thinking back to Wimbledon and the match with Rosol, he must have been having trouble with his knees then, I read that he was having scans in London and having pain killing injections (not sure if it's true). I remember thinking he seemed so anxious, it was strange behaviour from him in that match. I'm not suggesting he lost because of his knees, he can play through pain to a point and was simply out hit. I'm just thinking it may be the reason for his weird behaviour at the time. I've never seen him lose it like he did at Wimbledon.
  • Options
    bazztheman93bazztheman93 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venus Williams wins 2-6 6-3 6-2 against Chanelle Scheepers. A truly inspirational performance from the former world number 1. Standing Ovation from the spectators and commentators giving acclaimed praise. Inspiring to watch the fight in her even when she is not at her best. Final stage was almost vintage.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Andy won. Was it shown as I have been out?
    Pleased Venus won.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    I see Andy won. Was it shown as I have been out?
    Pleased Venus won.

It was on the red button as Sky had to have football on Sky Sports 1 2 and 3 (no idea why one of the football matches couldn't have gone behind the red button). Football should be banned until at least September. *rant over*
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointed Scheepers didn't win today. Sadly never got to see the match but it looked very promising when she took the first set, shame she couldn't keep it up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On this talk of injuries, I see Soderling has now been out so long he's dropped off the ranking list completely. He's almost the forgotten man in all of this as before his illness he was pushing for a top four ranking. Hopefully both of them can make it back for the start of 2013.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vicky2424 wrote: »
    It was on the red button as Sky had to have football on Sky Sports 1 2 and 3 (no idea why one of the football matches couldn't have gone behind the red button). Football should be banned until at least September. *rant over*

Thanks. I wanted to record it but couldn't find it:cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venus Williams has a real chance in Cincinatti, Errani and Stosur are the the likely opponents in the next two rounds and she has beaten both since her comeback. Radwanska will be difficult but on her day Venus can beat her,

I would love to see Venus make a final, fingers crossed!
  • Options
    footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,214
    Forum Member
    Plays Jeremy Chardy next - who has taken out Roddick and Istomin. Get through that and he is looking at a quarter with one of Hewitt or del Potro
  • Options
    footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,214
    Forum Member
    This is the third round draw in Cincinatti - women

Agnieska Radwanska v Sloane Stephens
    Johanna Larsson v Na LI/Sorana Crstea
    Sam Stosur v Ekatarina Makarova
    Venus Williams v Sara Errani
    Caroline Wozniacki v Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
    Petra Kvitova v Shuai Peng
    Angelique Kerber v Andrea Hlavackova
    Serena Williams v Urszula Radwanska
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im happy to see Rafa out of USO. Never liked him.
  • Options
    GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    On this talk of injuries, I see Soderling has now been out so long he's dropped off the ranking list completely. He's almost the forgotten man in all of this as before his illness he was pushing for a top four ranking. Hopefully both of them can make it back for the start of 2013.

I really like him and his defeat of Nadal was an amazing game. (Their contrasting personalities certainly were evident.)I hope he makes a recovery from his illness soon but I think he is expecting his first child very soon too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notice the US Open is on Eurosport. Which other broadcaster is showing it? ITV or Sky?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaccobabe wrote: »
    Im happy to see Rafa out of USO. Never liked him.

Bit mean that. I would never wish anybody ill even if I didn't like them.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    vicky2424 wrote: »

At a guess, football gets better viewing figures than one of the second tier main tour tennis events.

Just a thought...
    I notice the US Open is on Eurosport. Which other broadcaster is showing it? ITV or Sky?

Sky Sports.
  • Options
    GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit mean that. I would never wish anybody ill even if I didn't like them.

Unfortunately, you sometimes get that type of attitude on this thread. Some people have to snipe at players who aren't their favourite. I can think of a couple of Rafa supporters on here who are bitchy about Novak. Lowers the tone, sadly.
This discussion has been closed.