Options

Dog Knocked Someone Over...

LoubeeLoubee Posts: 1,025
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My dog was just out racing-chasing with another dog when she banged into its owner and knocked her over (not hard, just a trip and stumble). She said she was fine and laughed it off but I'm now freaking out about being sued (I kinda suffer with anxiety at the best of times and recently has not been the best of times). I know I've got third party on my pet insurance but would that be enough if the worst happened?

My dog is a puppy (14 months) and very friendly and playful. She wasn't out of control and came straight back when I called. As much as anything I'm really embarrassed. Has this happened to anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and I have been on the other end when two dogs one either end of a stick completely wiped me off my feet. It's an accident and not much apart from laugh as I got up could be done about it. An apology is enough and then try to teach your young dog not to jump up at people.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure a fellow dog owner would not even consider chasing you for some sort of compensation.

I have been knocked over twice by other dogs, once when my dog was being attacked and the other time just by a friend's boisterous dog.
    The first time I was a bit scratched as I fell into a hedge, the owner of that dog found out where I lived and came calling on me to see if my dog and I were ok and to apologise properly.
    The second time, my ankle gave way and it hurt but not enough to cry about..
    Later on my ankle swelled up and I could barely move for two days.

Please do not worry, I am sure nothing will come of it.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont panic, as the lady was a dog owner herself I'm pretty sure sense will prevail.

Our dogs can get a bit crazy when playing with other dogs but thats how it goes isnt it. Dont let the anxiety take over, its done, you apologised, she laughed it off.
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it will be fine OP. You apologised, which is the important thing. As a dog owner, I wouldn't dream of following up any legal action over something like that...

....unless the other owner didn't apologise and said something like "you shouldn't have been standing there", or some other evasion of responsibilty that dog owners tend to do - giving the rest of us a bad name. That's for another thread though ;-)
  • Options
    AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    You're probably okay as the other lady was a dog owner so most likely to be understanding. Dogs scare the heck out of me so if one knocked me over I'd be much less forgiving.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the OP was worrying about this incident, more what happens if the dog does it again, maybe to someone who doesn't like dogs?
    If your dog is large enough to bowl someone over best double check your insurance and if needs be beef it up. Training it to obey your commands will be essential too:)

My aunt was dreadful for keeping poorly trained large dogs - according to her it was never their (or her) fault when they jumped up at you though:(
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I don't think the OP was worrying about this incident, more what happens if the dog does it again, maybe to someone who doesn't like dogs?
    If your dog is large enough to bowl someone over best double check your insurance and if needs be beef it up. Training it to obey your commands will be essential too:)

My aunt was dreadful for keeping poorly trained large dogs - according to her it was never their (or her) fault when they jumped up at you though:(

Think the lady got caught up in play and the dog did obey when called.

When I was about 5 I decided to take our large German Shepherd out for a walk :o There was a horrible boy who lived down at the bottom of the road, proper bully. Anyway he started teasing me and the dog, not the best idea as the dog went for him and bite him. Luckily it was the early 80's and compensation was unheard of unless you had chopped a leg off or something major.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »

That was why I said now train the dog not to jump. It has been fine this time but I always think if you do not have 100% control then don't let the dog off lead.
  • Options
    LoubeeLoubee Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the reassurances - I do tend to worry more than I probably need to about nearly everything. Just to clarify though, my dog didn't jump up, just wasn't looking where she was going. The other dog ran in a ring around its owner and changed direction and my dog tried to do a quick turn but didn't realise she was next to the person. She's a lurcher-cross, so medium-sized...and fast...and clumsy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People tend to only sue when they are likely to get a big payout. I presume you aren't a multimillionaire so would it be worth the persons hassle to sue you?
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This must have happened to hundreds of dog owners. I am sure you will be fine. :D
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the other dog was presumably off the lead too and if it happened while they were playing that owner has some responsibility too.
    Accidents happen.
    Relax.