A.Conte resigns as Juventus manager , who should be appointed next?

2»

Comments

• Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you think is the reason Conte had no success in the Champions League though? That would be my only worry with him.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be a bit of feeling that this is the best thing for the rest of Serie A, but I can't see Allegri being that much of a hatchet man surely, or Conte having just papered over crack successfully. They've still got to be favourites unless they start offloading players drastically now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    What do you think is the reason Conte had no success in the Champions League though? That would be my only worry with him.

Juventus were a team built to win the serie A , physical , tough , resilient.
    Only one real game changer , Tevez. Also stuck to the wrong formation when the team struggled and wrong negative tactics in games Juventus should have won.
    Not good enough in CL i'm afraid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Juventus were a team built to win the serie A , physical , tough , resilient.
    Only one real game changer , Tevez. Also stuck to the wrong formation when the team struggled and wrong negative tactics in games Juventus should have won.
    Not good enough in CL i'm afraid.

If he can't do well in the Champions League, how is he going to win titles with the national team? I like Conte, but if he is tactically naive in the CL it's a big worry at international level. Ancelotti would be my choice (after Cannavaro :p ) but I know he would never accept.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some funny quotes from Pirlo's book about Conte http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2131708-antonio-conte-a-perfect-fit-for-italian-national-team

Apparently he's the best coach Pirlo worked with. I can't believe this. Has't Pirlo had Hodgson as manager at Milan?
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were at Inter at the same time for a few weeks, so not really.
    Forum Member
    If he can't do well in the Champions League, how is he going to win titles with the national team? I like Conte, but if he is tactically naive in the CL it's a big worry at international level. Ancelotti would be my choice (after Cannavaro :p ) but I know he would never accept.

Ancelotti would be my choice too right now. I feel he would say yes (he even said so himself) but he's very happy at Real...rightly so i'd say!! I'm sure one day he'll sit there.
    Conte is just not ready for a national team , end of as far as i see it.

Not too happy about what i'm about to say but i would transition with Capello until Ancelotti becomes available.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ancelotti would be my choice too right now. I feel he would say yes (he even said so himself) but he's very happy at Real...rightly so i'd say!! I'm sure one day he'll sit there.
    Conte is just not ready for a national team , end of as far as i see it.

Not too happy about what i'm about to say but i would transition with Capello until Ancelotti becomes available.

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! :eek: Hehe... I don't think Italy can afford to pay Capello's wage bill. You could hire 5 Low's for that price. Plus, he's a pretty terrible coach as his most recent appointments showed. Although maybe he would care more if he was coaching Italy. I just think anyone would be a better choice than Capello. As long as the new coach signs a contract only until Euro 2016 there is a chance that Ancelotti would become available. He would have to take a pretty substantial pay cut as well though I would have thought.

Does anyone know when they are meant to announce the new manager?
    Forum Member
    Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! :eek: Hehe... I don't think Italy can afford to pay Capello's wage bill. You could hire 5 Low's for that price. Plus, he's a pretty terrible coach as his most recent appointments showed. Although maybe he would care more if he was coaching Italy. I just think anyone would be a better choice than Capello. As long as the new coach signs a contract only until Euro 2016 there is a chance that Ancelotti would become available. He would have to take a pretty substantial pay cut as well though I would have thought.

Does anyone know when they are meant to announce the new manager?

Hahaha lol i know , hence why i said transition !! I agree with his latest record , but even you were saying about defensive solidity to regain ...so thought Capello would give that. Again , definitely not my ideal choice.

I'd imagine when this Tavecchio :o:o:o will be elected , they'll announce it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hahaha lol i know , hence why i said transition !! I agree with his latest record , but even you were saying about defensive solidity to regain ...so thought Capello would give that. Again , definitely not my ideal choice.

I'd imagine when this Tavecchio :o:o:o will be elected , they'll announce it.

Ugh, it's all very worrying... Apparently, Capello always starts his team with the goal keeper, as that's the most important player for him. He really did a great job with both England and Russia in that department... Pretty much everyone would be better than Capello... maybe with the exception of Scolari or Hodgson.

I would even prefer 200-year-old Trapattoni to Capello. At least Trapattoni has a sense of humour. I will never forget his famous rant in German at Bayern Munich :D He is an absolute Bayern Munich legend and is still quoted today by the German press and even Low quoted from that speech after he won the World Cup.

I think Italy need Ancelotti in 2018 in order to keep their tradition of getting to the WC final every twelve years. He would be a dream coach, but why would he leave his perfect job for more stress and less money?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a completely different note (but staying with Italian football) I am currently reading Pirlo's "I think therefore I play" autobiography, which by the way is absolutely hilarious but makes him sound like a really arrogant prick. Anyway, on the issue of club v country (I have seen this debate a lot on this board) here is what Pirlo had to say:

"Apart from a few friendlies, no club I've played for has ever put any pressure on me to turn down an Italy call-up. Probably because they know fine well what the response would be - not a particularly polite one. I think that if it did happen, I'd act on instinct and go against the wishes of the directors. Italy is simply more important. More important than Inter, Milan, Juventus or any other club side. It's the biggest deal there is." He goes on to say that for him to "take a backward step" in an Italy shirt to prevent injuries would amount to high treason.

Country is more important than club :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If reports are true that Conte declined the job, Mancini looks like the most likely alternative :(
    Forum Member
    If reports are true that Conte declined the job, Mancini looks like the most likely alternative :(

Oh dear ...Mancini...why oh why??!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear ...Mancini...why oh why??!!

:cry: I don't know... I hope it's not true.

There are so many reports about superstars of the past being part of the new Italy set up that my head is spinning. Paolo Maldini is apparently in the mix as well, although he denied any knowledge of it. I would love to see Maldini involved in football again. What does he actually do nowadays? Claudio Gentile would not be a terrible choice either, but I haven't heard his name mentioned, even though he did very well with the Italy U-21.

Btw I hope the "banana-eating" moron is not appointed as head of the Italian Federation, but he probably will.
    Forum Member
    :cry: I don't know... I hope it's not true.

There are so many reports about superstars of the past being part of the new Italy set up that my head is spinning. Paolo Maldini is apparently in the mix as well, although he denied any knowledge of it. I would love to see Maldini involved in football again. What does he actually do nowadays? Claudio Gentile would not be a terrible choice either, but I haven't heard his name mentioned, even though he did very well with the Italy U-21.

Btw I hope the "banana-eating" moron is not appointed as head of the Italian Federation, but he probably will.

It makes you really think that , other than Roma and Juve , all other clubs are allegedly voting this Tavecchio. :o

I'd love Maldini to be around , i don't think he likes coaching at all , i remember him saying that at the end of his career.
    Do you like DiFrancesco , not for the national team but do you like what he's doing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes you really think that , other than Roma and Juve , all other clubs are allegedly voting this Tavecchio. :o

I'd love Maldini to be around , i don't think he likes coaching at all , i remember him saying that at the end of his career.
    Do you like DiFrancesco , not for the national team but do you like what he's doing?

It's an awful joke that Tavecchio is not only still in the running, but is almost a shoe-in for the job.

To be honest, I don't have a strong opinion on DiFrancesco. I thought his results were quite poor? Albeit improving. Why do you ask?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual I agree with Cannavaro and still think he understands football perfectly and would make a great Italy coach one day http://www.goal.com/en-za/news/4644/goal-50/2014/07/31/4994671/cannavaro-casts-doubt-over-barcelonas-messi-suarez-neymar
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual I agree with Cannavaro and still think he understands football perfectly and would make a great Italy coach one day http://www.goal.com/en-za/news/4644/goal-50/2014/07/31/4994671/cannavaro-casts-doubt-over-barcelonas-messi-suarez-neymar

Here's hoping he's a better coach than he is a pundit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's hoping he's a better coach than he is a pundit.

I thought he was a great pundit :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he was a great pundit :blush:

I'm suprised by that. I can't recall him saying anything during the WC that was in any way interesting or insightful. Felt a bit sorry for him, because obviously his English is not great - he appeared to be struggling and a bit confused.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for his comments: "This is modern football we are talking about - who is going to cover them in midfield?"

Uhh, maybe Busquets, Rakitic, Iniesta, Mascherano?
    Forum Member
    It's an awful joke that Tavecchio is not only still in the running, but is almost a shoe-in for the job.

To be honest, I don't have a strong opinion on DiFrancesco. I thought his results were quite poor? Albeit improving. Why do you ask?

Because i think he's an emerging young talent and think he might do well one day if he gets a chance in a big team , just asking how you saw him that's all.

Tavecchio just doesn't stop does he!!!
    Forum Member
    I'm suprised by that. I can't recall him saying anything during the WC that was in any way interesting or insightful. Felt a bit sorry for him, because obviously his English is not great - he appeared to be struggling and a bit confused.

Love him to pieces ...but his English was appalling on ITV.
    I think he could have expressed his ideas better , he just didn't know how to!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Cannavaro's English was pretty good for an Italian :D They are not known for their grasp of foreign languages.

There's now a petition to get Tavecchio to step down, but he just point blank refuses. I can't believe Milan are supporting him! It's very embarrassing for Italian football.