Dog Leads

Dai ClustDai Clust Posts: 369
Forum Member
Are they most underused item in the world?

Comments

• Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Nah.

That'd be descriptive thread titles on internet forums.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Dai Clust wrote: »
    Are they most underused item in the world?

Yep. Especially if you do not have a dog.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm always going out without mine. Meow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm always going out without mine. Meow.
    Blimey...Does she look that bad?
    :o
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes OP to the annoyance of many people they are very underused. I wouldn't mind people taking their dog off their lead in public if they had trained them properly. However this is rarely the case with their dog coming charging at you while you walk down the street or young children playing at the park who gets pounced on and are then scared of dogs for life. Oh and my major annoyance is on the golf course when someone's dog runs off with your golf ball on the fairway spoiling the round. This has happened on several occasions now >:(
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    yes OP to the annoyance of many people they are very underused. I wouldn't mind people taking their dog off their lead in public if they had trained them properly. However this is rarely the case with their dog coming charging at you while you walk down the street or young children playing at the park who gets pounced on and are then scared of dogs for life. Oh and my major annoyance is on the golf course when someone's dog runs off with your golf ball on the fairway spoiling the round. This has happened on several occasions now >:(
    That's easy:
    Rule 18-1.
    Your ball was moved by an outside agency so you must replace without penalty. If you can't recover your ball from the dog you may substitute another ball.
    Next please!
    :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's easy:
    Rule 18-1.
    Your ball was moved by an outside agency so you must replace without penalty. If you can't recover your ball from the dog you may substitute another ball.
    Next please!
    :cool:

yes i knew that, but the whole thing is really annoying and can put you off your game. Having to chase a dog around the fairway and getting angry at the owner is no fun at all, especially when you have paid good money to play. :(
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    yes i knew that, but the whole thing is really annoying and can put you off your game. Having to chase a dog around the fairway and getting angry at the owner is no fun at all, especially when you have paid good money to play. :(
    It's crows mostly with us.
    And they don't have owners to chase
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on OP....lets hear it...

You were at your local park and this beast of a dog was off its lead and came to say hi to you? Or similar?

You could be due compensation.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have two dog leads - one is an extending one, the other a "choker".

I just don't have a dog, and the choker hurts my wife's neck..............
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i think dogs should be always leashed in public apart from specifically designated areas.
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think dogs should be always leashed in public apart from specifically designated areas.

And just how is that supposed to work when there aren't any designated off lead areas? The UK isn't like America where most towns and cities have dog parks and for that I am somewhat grateful. Only having one dog park covering a large area would mean lots of off lead dogs congregating in one enclosed space and this could be detrimental to a dog a who is reactive to other dogs or perhaps a dog who is injured and needs space to recuperate. Personally I would not take my two to a dog park. I would much rather let them off on a beach, a large open field or a quieter country path.

I have also said it dozens of times before and I will say it again. It is sheer and utter selfishness to want outdoor spaces to be off limits to anything other than humans. Most times when dogs are off lead in public places there are no problems. If a person is so afraid of dogs that they cannot bear to be in the general vicinity of an off lead dog then they need to get therapy. And a friendly dog coming to say hello is NOT the worst thing that can happen!
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got about a dozen leads here all used at various times depending where we go walking and why. Never let mine off lead so hopefully they are no problem to anyone.
    Forum Member
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    And just how is that supposed to work when there aren't any designated off lead areas? The UK isn't like America where most towns and cities have dog parks and for that I am somewhat grateful. Only having one dog park covering a large area would mean lots of off lead dogs congregating in one enclosed space and this could be detrimental to a dog a who is reactive to other dogs or perhaps a dog who is injured and needs space to recuperate. Personally I would not take my two to a dog park. I would much rather let them off on a beach, a large open field or a quieter country path.

I have also said it dozens of times before and I will say it again. It is sheer and utter selfishness to want outdoor spaces to be off limits to anything other than humans. Most times when dogs are off lead in public places there are no problems. If a person is so afraid of dogs that they cannot bear to be in the general vicinity of an off lead dog then they need to get therapy. And a friendly dog coming to say hello is NOT the worst thing that can happen!

there are loads and it wouldn`t be difficult to create more. it`s selfish owners who expect other people and animals to have to put up with unleashed dogs who are the problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there are loads and it wouldn`t be difficult to create more. it`s selfish owners who expect other people and animals to have to put up with unleashed dogs who are the problem.

Please tell me where they are as I haven't come across any. Not in my town or any of the surrounding areas.The only signs I see when it comes to dogs and leads are the ones that say to keep dogs ON a lead.

Anyway as I said before I would not use a dog park. They can quite often be a free for all and another thing is that they would probably be vandalised.
    Forum Member
    Please tell me where they are as I haven't come across any. Not in my town or any of the surrounding areas.The only signs I see when it comes to dogs and leads are the ones that say to keep dogs ON a lead.

Anyway as I said before I would not use a dog park. They can quite often be a free for all and another thing is that they would probably be vandalised.

http://www.dogfriendlybritain.co.uk/directory.asp?Category=83
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I used the search facility for my county (West Lothian) and there was nothing. I also searched for the other two areas where I visit most often (Fife and Midlothian) and again there was nothing.
    Forum Member
    I used the search facility for my county (West Lothian) and there was nothing. I also searched for the other two areas where I visit most often (Fife and Midlothian) and again there was nothing.

http://www.dugswelcome.com/dogfriendly/dog_walks/west-lothian-walks/

http://www.walkiees.co.uk/walks/category/fife
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not keen on the growing trend of people using the extending leads on pavements but allowing the lead to extend too much so that it trips people over.

People are getting too selfish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's crows mostly with us.
    And they don't have owners to chase

can't say i have ever experienced crows taking off with golf balls. They must be some hefty birds? Maybe you should invest in a shot gun? :D