Why do muslims have to fast for ramadan?

wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
Forum Member
✭✭
I asked the above question to a muslim colleage where I work and he did not know although he was going to fast!

What is this fasting during daylight all about?

And why do religions insist that human beings do things that are not natural for the sake of compliance?

Comments

• mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Religions are not sentient, they dont insist anything. They are just words on a page. :)
  • Force12Force12 Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    So they can fit in to their burkinis on their hols.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    If they eat during the day they turn into gremlins.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrHoppy wrote: »

PMSL! :D:p
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    The 5 pillars of the Muslim faith are to profess the faith, fast, give to the poor, pray and visit Mecca.

The fasting is to remind them of the starving and giving to the poor is especially encouraged during Ramadan.

Just in case anyone really wants to know!
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They fast together like ramadanalama ka dinga da ding da dong
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    MrHoppy wrote: »

Omg hahaha :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked the above question to a muslim colleage where I work and he did not know although he was going to fast!

And why do religions insist that human beings do things that are not natural for the sake of compliance?

To have some control over the followers and as far as possible to keep them separate from followers of other religions.
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My respects to my Muslim friends this Ramadan especially at this time of year with the early sunrise and later sunsets

I look forward to some treats from my neighbours :)
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone going to answer this properly or doesnt anyone know??

And yr Muslim colleague was ignorant if he didnt know WHY he does it- bit like a Christian not knowing what Christmas is for!

Its a test of dedication, discipline and endurance (esp in hot countries) to show devotion to the faith.Muslims dedicate themselves to charity, and studying the Quran as well as fasting.

Not too dissimilar to the Christian Lent. (Cept much more difficult!)
  • The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    A muslim collapsed in the gym I go to yesterday. He had to be taken home in an ambulance. I don't understand the fasting thing, it just sounds dangerous, and apparently a lot of them end up staying up all night gorging themselves on snacks. Not very healthy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »

And yr Muslim colleague was ignorant if he didnt know WHY he does it- bit like a Christian not knowing what Christmas is for!

Its a test of dedication, discipline and endurance (esp in hot countries) to show devotion to the faith.Muslims dedicate themselves to charity, and studying the Quran as well as fasting.

Not too dissimilar to the Christian Lent. (Cept much more difficult!)

To sum it up, Ramadan it really to clense your mind body and soul and to totally devout this month to your religion through prayer and of course the fasting itself.
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »

See post 6. ;)
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member

Why worry?
  • iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't fast, it makes me slow down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because muhammed fasted in the desert for 40 days and 40 nights and avoided temptation from the devil
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a demonstration of faith.

Our Server Manager over slept this morning so missed his breakfast as the sun was up. We've been sympathizing and taking the piss all day:D Texted me not long after sun down to let me know he'd had the best lamb curry he'd had in ages:D They had a baby a few weeks ago so his wife doesn't have to fast - he says he isn't jealous and I for one believe him:D
  • BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    They fast together like ramadanalama ka dinga da ding da dong

Chang chang chang-it-ty chang shoo-bop ,that's the way it should be, woah yeah. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    My respects to my Muslim friends this Ramadan especially at this time of year with the early sunrise and later sunsets

I look forward to some treats from my neighbours :)

I'd treat you too Mrs Teapot. :)
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would you treat me too Rics?:o:D
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christians are meant to do Lent which is the same sort of superstition, I spose.

I suspect these religions do it to make em weak minded so they give more ££ to the mosque/church. People who are too ill to think clearly are the best victims I mean followers.
  • The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    How do Muslims in Scandinavia get on?
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't do it if ya paid me .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Muslims fast because it is an act ordained by God, as a form of worship and remembrance. The Qur'an says the purpose of fasting is to develop taqwa - a word that does not quite have a one-to-one equivalent in English. Taqwa means a mixture of God-consciousness, constant alertness, or wariness that leads to uprightness.

Fasting has many spiritual benefits, and does not solely revolve around abstemiousness with regard to food. Sexual abstinence, an increase in devotions, spiritual retreat, contemplation, the development of character and moral rectitude are all integral elements of the fasting process.

Some scholars like Imam al-Ghazali emphasise the discipline it inculcates in an individual dominated by the base appetites for food and sex. The goal is to break these carnal impulses, so that one masters them in obedience to God, rather than remaining a slave to animal whim and caprice.

There is no requirement to fast if doing so would cause harm. If one is suffering from an incurable medical condition which prevents fasting, an expiatory payment in the form of a charitable donation is required for each missed fast. If one is suffering from a curable medical condition, each missed fast is simply made up at a later date.

An in depth discussion of fasting here:- http://www.faithtube.com/video/Al-Ghazali-on-Fasting-trans-S

If the above seemed somewhat recondite and inaccessible, this might serve as a better explanation:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU6PoFbiCvc&feature=related
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »
    How do Muslims in Scandinavia get on?

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/106527/sun

For some reason I've got all interested in this, and that linky has some answers.