Options

Visiting London

pmyoungpmyoung Posts: 131
Forum Member
We are thinking of visiting London, from Lancashire, with our two daughters aged 7 and 4. We were planning on going sometime in the next 2 weeks as we are both teachers so are flexible on dates and times. Having never visited before, we are unsure on the best way to make the most of our trip. We are planning on staying for 1 night and having two days to look around.
Having looked at the trainline.com, I have decided to drive and stay overnight. Can anyone recommend the best way to do this? Am I best off staying outside, eg Watford or Uxbridge or similar and getting the underground in and out on both days. Or should I stay in the centre of London, can anyone recommend a good hotel.
Also, how would I go about getting underground tickets? Is there a two day pass available?
Also does anyone know of a website that will list the main tourist attactions and how to get to them.
Many Thanks
Paul

Comments

• Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.timeout.com/london/ and follow the links to Museums and Attractions, Kids etc.

www.tfl.gov.uk has all the info about tubes, buses etc.

It may be worth bearing in mind that somewhere like Uxbridge is an hour from the West End by tube, and not like being in London.
  • Options
    BellaaahhhhBellaaahhhh Posts: 19,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's plenty of free stuff on this site

http://www.visitlondon.com/attractions/kids-go-free
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say check hotels on the outskirts of London, not so far out as Uxbridge though. Maybe Wembley? Theres a new Hilton there which I presume will be pretty cheap considering they've just opened.

If you were to drive in, and stay in central London, parking will cost a fortune.

Saying that, if you didn't mind the extra bit of driving, head round to Croydon and stay at the Hampton by Hilton, awesome little hotel and only 10 mins to Victoria or London Bridge by train :)
  • Options
    Barry PotterBarry Potter Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    At the weekend, after the games - Waterloo and Victoria have free parking and loads of hotels. If in central London, get the bus & an oyster card.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would suggest you look closer in ... and yest again a vote for Oyster (or perhaps one day travel cards) But Oyster is great - allowing you to travel on Tube Buses Dockland light railway (and trams) .. all at less than the cash price -
    and if there is enough money on the card .. also on Thames Clippers - as sort of large Water Bus to got to say Greenwich or the O2 and the Emirates airline - which is a cable car from the 02 to a DLR station on the North bank.

What to see - well the river - perhaps on a tourist boat rather than the clipper ... a lot of history there - Westminster Pier - perhaps a trip on the London Eye ... but these are probably the only Pay things I would suggest .

Museums - well look around South kensington Science Nat History and V&A ...
    and of course the British Museum - you can see Olympic medals there (tottenham Ct rd/ Russell Sq)

The the royal things - Buckingham Palace ( but there's is a lot of Olympics stuff in St James park) - or Kensington palace ...

The key to this is planning - so that is something for your children to do - and perhaps print out google maps or the TFL maps for the things you are going to visit.

one point to note - look to walk in central London - places are closer than you may think - and is quicker than getting into the Tube etc (which may go a long way round) . but avoid Oxford street on buses - it is a traffic Jam !!!

Enjoy it - an I hope that the weather is not raining or too Hot ....
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello fellow Lancastrian :-)

I have just booked, this weekend, for me & my 6 year old girl to go to London at the end of August.

Train tickets I booked using the "Red Spotted Hanky" site - you can use your Tesco clucbcard points there.

Hotel - we have booked in at The Charing Cross hotel, they have a half priced sale on at the moment, so per night is working out at £87 + tax. You are right in the heart of the action there !

We have booked to see Shrek, it's "kids week" in the West End, so book one adult ticket for a show and get a kids ticket free.

If you are staying the middle you may not want to bother with an underground ticket - I'm only planning on the tube for the journey from Euston to Charing Cross.

Planning on a day at the Natural History museum - it appears to be free :-)

Currently looking for the best deal on The London Eye !!
  • Options
    lmddawsonlmddawson Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    I'm from Lancashire too, and going to London next month. Just a cool coincidence, sorry :)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Planning on a day at the Natural History museum - it appears to be free :-)

AFAIK, all public museums in the UK are free though donations are always welcome. And special exhibitions usually aren't, you can check on their website what's on. I think they had a darwin special last time I went, it cost around £10 for adults and £5 for kids to get in that particular section.