Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 47)

Comments

• Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Igloo_Man wrote: »
    I got an email from Man Utd last night saying that tickets for all home league games with the exception of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City go on sale (to members) from this coming Friday.

Not sure they've done that before, but thought it might be of interest to some on here. :)

Well that's potentially a bit shit for people like my dad. He's a member rather than a ST holder because he can't afford a big outlay at once and he would like to pick up a ticket here and there when he can. There's a danger that some could sell out well in advance and before he has the chance to assess whether he can afford it or not.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Well that's potentially a bit shit for people like my dad. He's a member rather than a ST holder because he can't afford a big outlay at once and he would like to pick up a ticket here and there when he can. There's a danger that some could sell out well in advance and before he has the chance to assess whether he can afford it or not.

I wouldn't worry too much tbh, apart from the 4 games they aren't selling in advance then I doubt many will sell out.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Re the worry about the injury prone defence ...

I was playing a random United video on You Tube before, bits from a game from 12/13 and the commentator at one point said, referring to who wasn't playing in that game "With injuries to Vidic, Smalling and Jones ....'
    That game was nearly 2 years ago now, which shows how long at least the problem's been there with Smalling and Jones.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been there for a few years, and not just those 2. Can anyone remember the last season where we didn't have to put Carrick at CB for at least a game or 2, must be 5 years at least.

And that's before we get to Rafael...
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Think this would be best place for this
    Last night I watched the film called Believe in which Sir Matt Busby coaches youngsters near end of his life, got to say really enjoyed it, and I would imagine any reds on here would enjoy it, must admit it's good film and only about 90 mins about right too
    No idea if it's true or not but Brian Cox is an excellent sir Matt
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Last night I watched the film called Believe in which Sir Matt Busby coaches youngsters near end of his life, got to say really enjoyed it, and I would imagine any reds on here would enjoy it, must admit it's good film and only about 90 mins about right too

I have got it down to be recorded, but am unsure about it,if I am honest.
    I usually am one for stuff about the club, but this just seems to be pushing the boat out a bit too far.

Also on a film note, how come whenever a football film is made, it is never (or at least I am yet to come across one), about someone playing as a goalkeeper? It always seems to be about someone scoring the winning goal, or something along those lines!
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Igloo_Man wrote: »
    I think Rafael could be excellent in a wing back role - he sort of plays that way already with lots of emphasis on providing some width in the attacking half, and he could benefit from having less responsibility at the back.

But injuries are indeed a concern. If we go into the season with Valencia playing the right wing back position and Carrick having to fill in at centre back because Jones crocked himself in the process of standing up then I'll be rather annoyed.

It's clear we need some more bodies in the defence, in particular some versatile types who can take on wing back too. This is looking very important if van Gaal is keen to play with three central defenders. There's time yet though and I'm not getting too worried just yet.

On another topic, am I the only one with very little interest in pre-season? Of course I look out for our results for what it's worth, but I can't really get myself into it. I've not watched any football since the World Cup finished, and don't plan to do so until the Community Shield - I do like the break.

I have very little interest in pre-season matches, they mean very little to me too, when the season starts that's the beginning for me, im not staying up into the morning to watch any tour matches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each to their own, but I just like watching us play, no matter what is riding on the match, or how important it is (or not in friendly matches case).

I can see where the need for a break comes from though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friendly matches mean very little to me, they don't count for much its just a chance for players to get fit after the summer break, none of the matches count count for anything, I actually don't even care if we lose our pre-season matches- the start of the Premier League is what matters to me.

In other news:-

The Sun

Manchester United must cough up £79million to land top target Kevin Strootman.

Boss Louis Van Gaal wants Roma's Dutch midfielder but has not yet made an offer as the player is recovering from a knee injury.

But that has not stopped the Italian club slapping on a huge 100m euro price tag.
    After their 3-2 defeat by United in Denver at the weekend, coach Rudi Garcia said: 'Maybe only after a three-digit offer will we then sit down and think about it'.

Strootman, 24, is continuing his recovery from a cruciate ligament injury sustained in March.

But ex-Holland coach LVG is a huge fan of the player, who has impressed at international level.

United have already boasted they are prepared to smash the British transfer record to rejoin Europe's elite - but even they might baulk at spending such a huge sum on the injured player.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Manchester United must cough up £79million to land top target Kevin Strootman.

:eek:

Blimey. He's good. But not THAT good. Crocked too!
  • Options
    Forum Member

IMDB blurb - I looked on there to see what it was about when I saw the ad - said it was influenced by true events (I think was how it was phrased) Can't imagine who the player it was supposed to be, it didn't say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    It's been there for a few years, and not just those 2. Can anyone remember the last season where we didn't have to put Carrick at CB for at least a game or 2, must be 5 years at least.

And that's before we get to Rafael...

I certainly remember Fergie played Carrick at CB in the first game of the season against Everton - that we lost.
    The first game of the season!
    We might have been doing that this season, if Carrick wasn't injured himself, if Evans, Smalling or Jones get injured pre-season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I certainly remember Fergie played Carrick at CB in the first game of the season against Everton - that we lost.
    The first game of the season!
    We might have been doing that this season, if Carrick wasn't injured himself, if Evans, Smalling or Jones get injured pre-season.

We'd have to call for Michael Keane. :p
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I saw this too.

I wasn't impressed. Like you, I thought that Cox was decent as Busby, but other than that it was a bit wet, to be honest.

Just not my kind of film, I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'd have to call for Michael Keane. :p

:D ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this too.

I wasn't impressed. Like you, I thought that Cox was decent as Busby, but other than that it was a bit wet, to be honest.

From the bits that I have seen on the adverts, Cox looks more like Churchill, than Busby, but I could be wrong there.

I might give it a miss after these two reviews, as I could do with a bit more sdpasce on my Sky box.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    I saw this too.

It was a sort of Jimmy grimble type film, tho Sadly no Samia Smith now starring as Maria in corrie :( but just bit of feel good film a poor fever pitch if you like, didn't pay for it got it on my now tv free 30 day trail which ended tonight

Out of curiosity Jim, what is your kind of movie ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D ;-)

I was joking

I knew it would please you though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was joking

I knew it would please you though.

It's actually not beyond the realms of possibility, though.

If we're going to play 3 at the back, there's a fair chance that he'll get some game time, this season.

It would only take a couple of injuries, even if we do sign a couple of centre-halves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually not beyond the realms of possibility, though.

If we're going to play 3 at the back, there's a fair chance that he'll get some game time, this season.

It would only take a couple of injuries, even if we do sign a couple of centre-halves.

Yeah your right, we are so threadbare at the back these days, any injury and its quite possible that Keane will be called upon.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    :eek:

Blimey. He's good. But not THAT good. Crocked too!

Wasn't he available for a decent price last summer?

Dithering Dave too busy chasing silly targets probably.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't he available for a decent price last summer?

Dithering Dave too busy chasing silly targets probably.

He moved to Roma last summer but i'm pretty sure we were linked to him under Fergie's watch. Unfortunately Strootman had the fatal impediment of being a midfielder.
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    £79 million for Strootman lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    £79 million for Strootman lol

It won't happen.

Apparently, it was just a throwaway line that the tabloids have taken literally.
  • Options
    Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,485
    Forum Member
    It won't happen.

Apparently, it was just a throwaway line that the tabloids have taken literally.

Do you think that Woodward coming out and saying you can match any transfer fee and unlimited funds will give other clubs the opportunity to ask for highly inflated fees for their players?

I know the City situation was a bit different but clubs knew we had cash to burn and we got fleeced on many transfers.
This discussion has been closed.