Annoying cold callers from call centers

blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Earlier today I had a cold caller that 1471 said was this number <drum roll> 0000000000.

Those callers annoy me to hell, as some days they keep ringing at odd times throughout the day . >:( So I just don't answer the phone anymore and wait till they hang up and then ring 1471.

I'm tempted to get an answering machine and they can talk to that. :D

Comments

• Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's a call 'center' ? ... It appears you don't live in America.
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My stepdad had the same last week. A long number with about ten zeros. My parents rarely answer the house phone as 99% are cold callers. To be fair its my mum's fault, she's constantly signing up to websites, entering competions etc and they get the number from there. I don't even have a phone for my landline so I never get any nuisance calls thank God.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Get a CPR Call Blocker from Amazon. Takes five minutes to set up and the resulting silence will amaze you. You need CLI enabled though.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    That's the reason we switch our landline off

It's off all the time unless we need to make a call
  • blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A modern day sweat shop.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Caller ID.
    Tru Call.
    Ignore it.
    Pick the phone up and don't speak. This gets them very nervous.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I pick up the phone and it is silent, with a big pause, .I normally fell them to f**k off and hang up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Register with TPS. May not solve it completely, but it does a good job. I've not had one of those calls since I signed up.
  • blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Register with TPS. May not solve it completely, but it does a good job. I've not had one of those calls since I signed up.

Will do. Thanks for the link.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These calls dramatically reduced when I registered with TPS (Telephone preference service, I believe). Did it online and only took a few minutes.

Iirc it did take a week or so to have any effect but after that I rarely get bothered, whereas beforehand I got a few calls a day.

Did get a few recently but I think that's to do with More Than insurance I have taken out.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The problem with TPS, it is UK calls only. Foreign calls will still get through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah, I spent so long footering with my phone making my last post about TPS you were in there, with a link and everything. :cool:
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    pick up
    say hang a sec
    leave phone

if you really want to wind them up every 5 mins say, sorry to keep you

I had one guy on the line for a hour
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but I can do you good deal on your car insurance!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get called regularly from someone who sounds like they are based in a metal hut in Mumbai with totally random caller ID's doing everything from anti virus scams to surveys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with TPS, it is UK calls only. Foreign calls will still get through.

Yes, I read that so didn't think it would make much difference but it really did. The calls I believed were from international call centres stopped so perhaps they were UK based after all. I don't know. Peculiar. From my experience I would definitely recommend registering with them.
  • FoxywarriorFoxywarrior Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Keep an air horn by the phone. Any cold callers who are rude or bothering you generally don't do it again after a blast down the receiver!!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm registered with TPS, but the people from Eco Boilers seem to have some kind of special exemption.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What's a grammar nazi ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's a grammar nazi ?

A pain in the arse.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    Get a CPR Call Blocker from Amazon. Takes five minutes to set up and the resulting silence will amaze you. You need CLI enabled though.
    TrueCall is better but more expensive.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually get 2 calls a day marked as 'international' even with TPS.
  • Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we have a call every so often from the "you had an accident" brigade, where i see how long i can keep them on the line.... with "ohhhh yeeeessssss, i sooo did that" and husband get a call from "the man who looks after all the computers", although H blew it by saying, "what? in the world?" (caller dc'd)
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    This is an old one but still funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKzscaU0TDI

They are annoying, I just say, no, not interested and hang up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    I'm really annoyed with them, on bad days my phone can ring every 10/15 min starting from 8am till aprox 6!