UK's Greatest Enemy of Recovery - The Private Sector,Banks and Profit Driven Greed

2»

Comments

• jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All it is is wanton greed and a total disregard for the economy and the rest of the people in this country. It's too bad public flogging is banned. I'm not in to S&M but I could make an exception in this case.:eek:

Boardroom pay soars despite fragile economy and prospect of strikes (Today)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jun/16/boardroom-pay-soars-despite-fragile-economy?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Annual bonuses in Britain's top boardrooms have risen by almost a quarter while basic salaries have increased by 7% despite the fragile economic recovery and the growing prospect of widespread industrial action over shopfloor pay levels, according to research by pay monitoring group Income Data Services

Paul Kenny, general secretary of the GMB general union, said the dislocation between what top bosses took home and what they urged their shopfloor workers to accept was stark. "We have consistently said that appeals to the elite who run our industries and commercial companies to exercise restraint on their pay is a complete waste of time. As this survey demonstrates, the only solution is to use the tax system to take the money off them."
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    jswift909 wrote: »
    All it is is wanton greed and a total disregard for the economy and the rest of the people in this country. It's too bad public flogging is banned. I'm not in to S&M but I could make an exception in this case.:eek:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jun/16/boardroom-pay-soars-despite-fragile-economy?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Annual bonuses in Britain's top boardrooms have risen by almost a quarter while basic salaries have increased by 7% despite the fragile economic recovery and the growing prospect of widespread industrial action over shopfloor pay levels, according to research by pay monitoring group Income Data Services

Paul Kenny, general secretary of the GMB general union, said the dislocation between what top bosses took home and what they urged their shopfloor workers to accept was stark. "We have consistently said that appeals to the elite who run our industries and commercial companies to exercise restraint on their pay is a complete waste of time. As this survey demonstrates, the only solution is to use the tax system to take the money off them."

That is disgusting the rich get even richer just as the Tories screw the rest of us into the ground.
  • slapmattslapmatt Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jswift909 wrote: »

"Shopfloor" workers can easily be replaced. This is what the unions just don't get.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    No idea on toy shops (won't have to worry about them for a few years yet :) ) but event ticketing is horrendously expensive. People are willing to pay £100 a go to see Bon Jovi though, so that's what they'll charge. There's limited space in the venue so of course promoters will sell tickets to the people willing to pay the most.

Many concerts can hold 25,000-50,000 people and it's possible to do more than one show at one venue. Then you can multiply it by all the locations they visit on any given tour and the amount taken in is obscene just to sing on a stage (the real work is done by the people getting the set ready, organising the venue etc).

As you say, the only driver there is people are ready and willing to pay it.

Loyalty to companies/suppliers is bad. I believe that is one of Martin Lewis's mottos.

Edit:

"Loyalty doesn't pay

Loyalty is for losers, and doesn't pay. The normal rules don't apply here, stick with the same people longer and you'll get less."
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/Teenagers-cash-class

It may be bad but it doesn't change the fact that some people are loyal - for various reasons such as loyalty cards, discounts etc. Although, ultimately they end up paying more to that particular retailer - Tesco's clubcard springs to mind.
    If people don't notice a massive hike in prices, I can only presume they aren't too affect by them. I recently walked out empty-handed because a newsagent charged what I thought was too much for a can of coke, it wouldn't have broken the bank, but it was more than I felt it was worth, and the prices do matter to me.

I don't know if it's a case of not being too affected by them or not knowing what the comparison's are. Are people really able to realistically compare a price among thousands - loans, insurances and mortgages to name a few areas in which the market has become so saturated it's almost impossible to make a decision based on comparative factors - it's really just a case of signing up to a certain company for a variety of reasons, such as trust etc. I had to laugh at an advert for a car the other day - they were offering a free mobile, I found it hard to believe that people would base a decision to purchase a car on the fact it has a free mobile (considering how cheap they are anyway) but maybe they do?
    The expensive loans business is presumably meeting a consumer need - banks won't lend them cash at a reasonable rate as they're deemed too high risk, so other suppliers jump in, and take the risk on those with low-credit. They stick a high interest rate on to cover the risk they take.

Not to say there shouldn't be adequate legislation, but I have no problem with people offering services as long as fees etc are clearly spelled out in advance.

That really was the main problem, there were companies offering these deals with misleading figures (telling you what you'd pay in a month's period without giving the true value of the fees for the period of the agreement) so legislation was duly introduced to protect more vulnerable consumers.

Even when it is clearly spelled out in advance, the driving factor may be the ease of access to the cash instantaneously. It would seem the quicker (and easier, ie less background/ability to pay checks made on the debtor) the money is offered the more expensive it is. Who do you think would need access to cash quickly? Those who are comfortable and able to shop around or more vulnerable people who probably shouldn't even be entitled to the loan in the first place? Some companies know these things and will exploit the poorer, more vulnerable members of our society which is not only greedy but it's plain wrong, impo.