Worst Christmas song ever?

Comments

• Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ajman wrote: »
    It's not that bad, it's just very very over-rated.
    I honestly wonder if everyone who says how much they like it really does like it. I think people think it`s cool to say they like it. I have always hated it - and I think Kirsty MacColl was great. I agree with Neil Tennant`s view of the song that it`s just "two drunks shouting at each other".
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    I honestly wonder if everyone who says how much they like it really does like it. I think people think it`s cool to say they like it. I have always hated it - and I think Kirsty MacColl was great. I agree with Neil Tennant`s view of the song that it`s just "two drunks shouting at each other".

Not me, I genuinely love it. Think its a wonderful song and the lyrics are the best in any song ever:D IMHO its the greatest xmas song ever made, and just one of the greatest songs ever full stop.I have had it on replay on my iPhone the last week or three, listened to it over and over on loop. Figure I might as well make the most of it for the month I can play it without looking like a crackpot!:p
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly two drunks shouting at each other you don't get more festive than that :D plus the melody and Kirsty McCall is what does it for me and it has a poignancy now that she has died which i suppose makes it special for others too :)

Haha Holly AIWFCIY belongs to and rightly so to Miss. Carey especially people my age it was the last great xmas song and slays all others since and no cover quite captures it but again thats just me :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not terribly fond of John Lennon's "Happy Xmas (War is Over)" as it's quite depressing and not just because of Yoko's "singing" :p, but the worst ones are by the novelty nobodies like the Fast Food Rockers, Las Ketchup, the Cheeky Girls and so on-so memorable that I can't remember the names of the songs. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    jingle bell rock is awful too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Proper Chrimbo is horrendous - and the video is terrible.

Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmastime... I have a slight nostalgic affection towards it, but if I think if I was locked in a room and played just one Xmas song on constant rotation, this is the one that would send me mad. It's too relentlessly cheery, too repetitive.

I hate Santa Baby. Annoying.

Every further version Mariah has done of "All I Want..." has been awful.

I'm kinda sick of Slade. Relentless drone.

Nothing wrong with The Pogues though. Bemused by the poster saying that people are just claiming they like it to appear cool. Uh, no. Just because it's a good song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Saviour's Day by Sir Clifford of Richard.

Woeful, pious dirge. And those pan-pipey things in the chorus.. horrible!
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saviour's Day by Sir Clifford of Richard.

Woeful, pious dirge. And those pan-pipey things in the chorus.. horrible!

Any christmas song ever made by Cliff cheese laden tosh that i'd rather not endure :o:p
  • ajmanajman Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think part of it is to do with age. I was eleven years old when FONY came out and so for me it doesn't evoke that strong magical Christmas feeling from my younger childhood in the way that slightly older songs such as Jona Lewie's Stop the Cavalry or John Lennon's Happy Xmas War is Over do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Out of all the Christmas favourites (eliminating all the crappy novelty songs), I'd have to go for Fairytale of New York. I'm surprised some on here agree with me because it seems everyone I know loves it! :D
  • DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justin Bieber 'All I want for Xmas' with the added bonus that the video shamelessly features a blatantly obvious piece of product placement, a Nintendo 3DS. Billy Idol's 'Jingle Bell Rock' a close second.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    The Waitresses, think the song is called Christmas Wrapping. First hated it when I was working in retail in 2002-03 and it was one of many Christmas songs played on a loop in the shop. I like most Christmas songs but have HATED this song ever since!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Any christmas song ever made by Cliff cheese laden tosh that i'd rather not endure :o:p

Ha ha! I agree wholeheartedly, but am singling out that 'song' in particular as I had the misfortune to hear it while out shopping for Christmas dinner and it's been stuck in my head since!

The turkey won't taste as good now it's been tainted with that memory.. :p
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jive Bunny. Everything else pales into insignificance compared to this steaming pile. Perhaps you guys are too young to remember them and thankfully their Xmas contribution has never been replayed.

Cliff's Mistletoe and Wine is a guilty pleasure. Every time the song or video is on everyone at home stops what they're doing and performs the crazy body sway dance. Fun fact - the music vid was done in one continuous shot ... so put that in your pipe and smoke it Martin Scorsese.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ajman wrote: »
    I think part of it is to do with age. I was eleven years old when FONY came out and so for me it doesn't evoke that strong magical Christmas feeling from my younger childhood in the way that slightly older songs such as Jona Lewie's Stop the Cavalry or John Lennon's Happy Xmas War is Over do.
    Hmm, I was a 70s child and I hate the Slade and Wizzard songs. I don`t think it has anything to do with nostalgia.Some of these songs are just over-played.And it`s personal tase of course, and FTONY is not to my taste and never will be.
    On a positive note, i was glad to hear "December Will Be Magic Again" by Kate Bush getting some airplay this year. That`s a lovely song.
    One song that I have seen nominated for the worst Christmas song ever is "Christmas Day" by Squeeze. I rather like it,even though it rather depressing.It has a video which sums up Christmas in the UK in 1979 very well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyBDBeexRjE
  • Dex_BracewellDex_Bracewell Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I think the worst song is Slade's Merry Xmas Everybody! Just grouchy and horrible! Urgh!
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    All I Want For Christmas... by Mariah Carey that's probably cus I can't stand Mariah Carey though.

I don't like Fairytale Of New York or that horrid Santa Baby song.
    I don't like the I Saw Mummy Kissing Santa Claus one as well.

I don't mind Maccas song a bit surprised so many people don't like it.
    I really like Eltons Step Into Christmas, that's one of my faves!
  • VisitingVisiting Posts: 40,112
    Forum Member
    Jordan1999 wrote: »
    For me the worst Christmas song has to be

The Pogues - Fairytale of New York
    Same for me
  • MP3_4_LifeMP3_4_Life Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Visiting wrote: »
    Same for me

:eek:

I always felt that was a classic!
  • Amy76Amy76 Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My worst ones are

Christmas Lights - Coldplay
    Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney
    Merry Xmas, War is Over - John & Yoko
    Proper Crimbo - Bo Selecta
    Rockin Robin - Jackson Five
    Santa Baby - the Kylie Minogue version
    It's Cold Outside - Tom Jones & Cerys Matthews

I like all the cheesy ones, like the Slade one and the Wizzard one. My favorite ones are

2000 Miles - The Pretenders
    A Spaceman Came Travelling - Chris De Burgh
    Driving Home For Christmas - Chris Rea
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trumpet101 wrote: »
    The Waitresses, think the song is called Christmas Wrapping. First hated it when I was working in retail in 2002-03 and it was one of many Christmas songs played on a loop in the shop. I like most Christmas songs but have HATED this song ever since!

thats the only old one i still like....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbclassics wrote: »
    I don't mind Maccas song a bit surprised so many people don't like it.
    Sadly, I`m never surprsed when people don`t like anything by Paul McCartney- it`s prejudice. His use of synths on that song was pretty progressive.
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not one of the songs said within this thread are anywhere near the 'worst; christmas song ever

50 grand for Christmas is embarrassingly bad.............but I love :D
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Jordan1999 wrote: »
    For me the worst Christmas song has to be

The Pogues - Fairytale of New York

I don't like it either to be fair if it didn't have that "homophobic" line in it I may not mind it as much
  • VisitingVisiting Posts: 40,112
    Forum Member
    Amy76 wrote: »
    My worst ones are

Christmas Lights - Coldplay
    Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney
    Merry Xmas, War is Over - John & Yoko
    Proper Crimbo - Bo Selecta
    Rockin Robin - Jackson Five
    Santa Baby - the Kylie Minogue version
    It's Cold Outside - Tom Jones & Cerys Matthews

I like all the cheesy ones, like the Slade one and the Wizzard one. My favorite ones are

2000 Miles - The Pretenders
    A Spaceman Came Travelling - Chris De Burgh
    Driving Home For Christmas - Chris Rea

That one is actually one of my favourites