How do you solve a problem like Daybreak?

Comments

• tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    personally, I think Aled is a likely contender for host of Strictly when Brucie decides to go (or cannot do it any more).
    He is a "family" type of presenter, liked by old people, tolerated by younger.

He just lacked the necessary Live TV experience to be put into big, Live, entertainment shows.
    He has now got this from doing Daybreak.

As a career move on his part (or his agent) it is a masterstroke, the big money from ITV compensates for losing his BBC gigs. However he should be able to breeze back into those sorts of jobs if and when he gets canned from Daybreak.
    Plus his sacking will be seen as "unfair" so he will garner a lot of sympathy.
    I don't think Aled would suit Strictly at all. I don't watch Daybreak anymore but i have seen him on other shows. I don't think they will make any more change to Daybreak. If they do it will happen quietly to avoid the embarrassment of another launch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    southlad wrote: »
    According to press reports ITV have struggled to find shows for Christine Bleakley to present... maybe they should put her back on Daybreak with Dan Lobb?

If they get rid of Aled I wonder what he'll do after giving up his Radio 2 show and Songs of praise for Daybreak?

The others must be bad if slimy Dan Lobb is the best alternative.
  • southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The others must be bad if slimy Dan Lobb is the best alternative.

That's interesting as I never thought he came across as slimy. Infact I thought he was quite genuine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genuinely slimy. Condescending, leering and sexist.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Lobb should never, ever be allowed back on national TV.
  • royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps something like this in the mornings would move breakfast TV onward and upward.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1782701
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Replace the program with CITV :)
  • Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should swallow their pride, axe Daybreak and start a brand new show which isn't just a different name for an identical program.

They could choose a couple of local news presenters who are popular in their region, and not broadcast the show from London. I think that going for 'big names' to present the show is a waste of time and money, and simply not necessary. The new presenters will become big names in time if the programme-makers concentrate on making a compelling news-led magazine show that connects with viewers. I'm imagining it being a bit like the original This Morning. It could even be broadcast from a similar location.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rather watch American comedies on a never ending loop on channel 4. I used to watch BBC breakfast but that gets on my nerves now too, especially the woman who covers business and the bloke who does sport. Plus I don't want to wake up to gloomy news on a loop any more. Daybreak is just an early start to the day long ITV promotion of ITV crap shows, with a bit of gloomy news and Queen sycophant Lorraine.
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rather watch American comedies on a never ending loop on channel 4. I used to watch BBC breakfast but that gets on my nerves now too, especially the woman who covers business and the bloke who does sport. Plus I don't want to wake up to gloomy news on a loop any more. Daybreak is just an early start to the day long ITV promotion of ITV crap shows, with a bit of gloomy news and Queen sycophant Lorraine.

I agree with all this. Why can't we have a breakfast programme that is interesting? Are the producers worried that if they make a good programme then everyone will be late so they put on a loop of misery and the cream of crap from the most dumbed down shows on itv?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Replace the program with CITV :)

I'm not sure they can do this due to their licence conditions. Anyone confirm this?
  • brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you solve a problem like daybreak???

You get a 9 - 5 job!!! Can't stand day time tv!!!
  • brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brewer480 wrote: »

Lol, I just realised it starts at like 6am, my bad, I don't get time to watch tv in the morn thank god!
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Dan Lobb should never, ever be allowed back on national TV.

Alas he is back on Sky Sports presenting table tennis
  • StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ever since they binned proper journalists it has been a slippery slope. I used to like Garraway, but she is just unbearable these days - and yes, it is a Kelly overload. When she isn't on 'holiday'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep it more news than entertainment. That is why people like to watch BBC Breakfast! We don't want all that entertainment lark at that time of the morning...adults want to watch informative news and interesting articles...not childrens TV!
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ever since they binned proper journalists it has been a slippery slope. I used to like Garraway, but she is just unbearable these days - and yes, it is a Kelly overload. When she isn't on 'holiday'.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a451262/lorraine-kelly-gets-mark-wright-confused-with-alex-reid-in-interview.html
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too much Lorraine. Could have done with a fresher more original choice.
    Aled doesn't seem to be very good at this type of presenting.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The programme would be improved in one fell swoop with the removal of Dame Lorraine Kelly! I try and avoid her but saw the 'interview' yesterday with Michelle Keegan - Kelly constantly butted in and talked over her, Michelle could barely get a word in.

Aled is much more relaxed and has an altogether warmer screen presence and personality.

The show itself is ok for the time of day it's on - a mix of serious news and lighter features (those who want a more dedicated news angle will watch Sky News or BBC Breakfast anyway) - but Dame Kelly is just unlikeable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday:

BBCBreakfast 1.57m (35.6%)
    Daybreak 655k (15.9%)
    Lorraine 1.02m (19%).

I see daybreak have brought back Roland Rat :confused:
  • YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    southlad wrote: »
    Yesterday:

BBCBreakfast 1.57m (35.6%)
    Daybreak 655k (15.9%)
    Lorraine 1.02m (19%).

I see daybreak have brought back Roland Rat :confused:

Yes two weeks in a row the rat was on- perhaps they want to see exactly how low they can get the viewing figures down to....
  • Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dezire wrote: »
    Keep it more news than entertainment. That is why people like to watch BBC Breakfast! We don't want all that entertainment lark at that time of the morning...adults want to watch informative news and interesting articles...not childrens TV!

And that's why I swtich off after 7am. I like the News Hour, just not the rest of it.
  • foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should never have axed GMTV!
  • babspankybabspanky Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm apart from anything else, I can't stand the twittering weather girls.Get someone sensible who just tells us what the weather is going to be like instead of people who add theatricals.

And Roland Rat, what's that all about? He did an interview this morning which was just such a load of old rubbish - how anyone thinks that is amusing beats me. Perhaps in the '80s but they were different times and you should never go back.

Kate mumbles, I can't understand her sometimes. I like the political lady reporter, can't remember her name, Penny Smith sadly missed. Ranvir seems OK. As someone else said, there's too much TV and entertainment stuff, that makes me turn over.
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brewer480 wrote: »

Yes! It beats me why anyone would want to ,or has time to watch TV at Breakfast time!:)