Computer Freezing. What else can I try?

Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My laptop (Toshiba) has recently been freezing. When I type, it suddenly stops dead and pauses before catching up. This only happens on the internet and at home - work seems fine. I have two laptops and the other one (much older), works perfectly.
I am on Firefox. I can't get internet explorer to see whether it is that causing the problem. When I do try to get on, half the information seems to be missing and upgrading makes no difference. Firefox is as up to date as it can be.
I have stopped lots of startup programmes, run Superantispyware, malwarebytes, system restore (in case it was a windows update causing it), disk clean up, defrag and am now at a loss as to what to try next. I block as many ads as I can. I am on Windows 7.
I have a broadband thingy which plugs in somewhere else in the house to boost the signal. This is currently switched off as I thought my computer might be trying to access it needlessly. I have reset my broadband modem countless times and I am only a couple of metres away so that isn't blocked by anything. I still have plenty of room left on my hard drive.

I am not very technical, so suggestions in plain English would be great.

Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    I suggest trying a different browser, Chrome is good, I never use I.E .
    Antivirus running in the background can cause problems, check the running tasks in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, hover your mouse over each one, those you dont need right click/settings untick run at start up. If you see the antivirus one, it may say "scanning" if it does, stop it.
    Adding more memory can always help, how much does it have ?
    Adblock plus blocks most adds :) for FireFox and Chrome.
  • ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is it? Is it full of dust?

AV could be a possibility too, maybe try a different one?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    My 21 yo daughters Laptop was going slow and getting very hot, I looked at lots of vids on youtube, they show how there is lots of crap blocking the fan exhaust on laptops and how to get rid of it. I went shopping to get some silver paste for the cpu, got a phone call from my daughter she has stripped out the cooling copper tubes and the cpu , I was gob smacked !!
    So IhMondays, its not that hard to mess around in a laptop if you watch vids, it may help with your problem :)
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    In Firefox go here to see how to disable and dodgy plugins.
    http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/disable-or-remove-add-ons
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbageguy wrote: »
    My 21 yo daughters Laptop was going slow and getting very hot, I looked at lots of vids on youtube, they show how there is lots of crap blocking the fan exhaust on laptops and how to get rid of it. I went shopping to get some silver paste for the cpu, got a phone call from my daughter she has stripped out the cooling copper tubes and the cpu , I was gob smacked !!
    So IhMondays, its not that hard to mess around in a laptop if you watch vids, it may help with your problem :)

The first poster says that their much older laptop works fine though. I'm assuming that they haven't had the insides of the much older laptop cleaned out. If this is the case, there might be something else going on with it. I'm wondering if it's maybe a virus that's on it.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    In that case run the free 30 day trial version of Hitman Pro
    http://www.surfright.nl/en
    The 30 day version WILL remove any crap as well.
    Not like some of them do where they detect it but then want money!
  • kandrews8098kandrews8098 Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    In that case run the free 30 day trial version of Hitman Pro
    http://www.surfright.nl/en
    The 30 day version WILL remove any crap as well.
    Not like some of them do where they detect it but then want money!

http://download.cnet.com/HitmanPro-3-64-bit/3000-2239_4-75110395.html#rateit
    Based on that review I'm not sure I'd bother..
  • BSCBSC Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    OP, you could try thawing your computer in a microwave or in an oven! ;):D