Matt Cardle "weeks from drug and alcohol death"

Comments

• soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the brink of death to starting a tour within a month :D. Amazing!
  • chosenturbochosenturbo Posts: 8,832
    Forum Member
    soullover wrote: »
    From the brink of death to starting a tour within a month :D. Amazing!

The tour doesn't start until April, actually
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not one for downlaying owt is he our Cardle?

i don't like to be cynical (I love it), but his encounter with the grim reaper is up there with Justin Bieber's transmogrification into the bad boy of rock in the convincing stakes.

but as i say i don't like to be cynical so i'm gonna take him on trust;-)

glad he's all back to normal again
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    I'd guess the risk was by downing pills in numbers you weren't in a fit state to keep track of, along with alcohol meant the risk of accidental OD was very high, that's how it reads to me, not that he was physically at death's door.

Just reading through the 'press speak' :)

I'm very pleased to hear he's much better and back on track with his life. He's always been a hard worker, and he's very talented. Good luck Matt :D
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i don't like to be cynical (I love it), but his encounter with the grim reaper is up there with Justin Bieber's transmogrification into the bad boy of rock in the convincing stakes.

It's very easy to be cynical but the truth is that the likes of you and I will never know how bad things were for Matt.

Sort of seems to me that the only way people take your addiction seriously these days is after the very worst has happened. If Matt is exaggerating then fine, I'd rather read that then the news that he's died from a fatal OD.

Whatever his situation, I hope he's now in a place that he wants to be with his life and his career.
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    It's very easy to be cynical but the truth is that the likes of you and I will never know how bad things were for Matt.

Sort of seems to me that the only way people take your addiction seriously these days is after the very worst has happened. If Matt is exaggerating then fine, I'd rather read that then the news that he's died from a fatal OD.

Whatever his situation, I hope he's now in a place that he wants to be with his life and his career.

I would say its now his career can start. Hes been out of it for a long time. His former mgmt even posted pics of him knocked out at various places 'sleeping' as the tweets read. Then hes been known to pass out,like in Bali where he had a blackout.

Matt lives for his music and I think hes getting more and more used to being in showbiz. Now he can face new challenges clean and sober.
  • Crabbie123Crabbie123 Posts: 8,478
    Forum Member

_elly001 wrote: »

I agree with you Elly - unless Matt gets his doctor to write an open letter, there are many people who will insinuate that he is lying, just trying to get a few newspaper headlines.

Anyone who has read Heath Ledger's story, will realise that what Matt said about being at risk of killing himself within weeks, is not an exaggeration. This article pretty much explains how the build up of more than one benzo at a time in the system can lead to the death of the addict. Matt didn't say in the article that he was in danger of dying from a single overdose, just that if left to his own devices, his doctor said he might not be here in 3 or 4 weeks time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1577821/Heath-Ledger-died-of-accidental-drug-overdose.html

Additionally he was taking the benzos and drinking alcohol - which is a really dangerous combination, and was more likely what was causing the blackouts than the benzos on their own. It was almost certainly what led to this incident back in September.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/rehab/344685/Matt-Cardle-s-wild-night-with-the-Blue-boys

I am glad that Matt has dealt with his issues, and if by reading the article even one person recognises themselves to be in a similar situation and seeks help, then Matt doing the article will be worth it.