Mispronounced Company Names

heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
Forum Member
I saw an advert for Lidl the other night during which the Lidl Company name was mispronounced. The Brits are far more worldly than they used to be so why have Lidl gone down the route not using the correct mispronunciation?

In the days of civilisation ending at Dover the Brits can possibly be forgiven for saying Brawn instead of Brown (Braun) but perpetuating mistakes in the 21st century is odd.

BTW....it's LEE-DAL and not LID-ALL :)

Comments

• euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked for them for a year and it was always called Lid-L where I worked...

Same as I know Primark as Preemark (we've had them for 20 odd years in NI maybe more), yet the rest of the UK pronounces it as Prymark
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a local chain of shops in the north east, called boyes. It has about 3 ways of pronouncing it....
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porsche (Por-sha), Nike (Nike-ee), Givenchy (Jhee-von-shee), Moët & Chandon (Mo-et, not Mo-eh).

(ETA correct pronunciation.)
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Porsche, Nike, Givenchy, Moët & Chandon

I can pronounce those ones but I'm not sure about Bose.
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    heiker wrote: »
    I saw an advert for Lidl the other night during which the Lidl Company name was mispronounced. The Brits are far more worldly than they used to be so why have Lidl gone down the route not using the correct mispronunciation?

In the days of civilisation ending at Dover the Brits can possibly be forgiven for saying Brawn instead of Brown (Braun) but perpetuating mistakes in the 21st century is odd.

BTW....it's LEE-DAL and not LID-ALL :)

Well, what on Earth is the correct mispronunciation?? :confused:
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Well, what on Earth is the correct mispronunciation?? :confused:

Whatever way you care to mispronounce it :D
    Forum Member
    euphie wrote: »

Same as I know Primark as Preemark (we've had them for 20 odd years in NI maybe more), yet the rest of the UK pronounces it as Prymark

You should have Wiki'd the company before you turned up on the first day.

BTW, I've always pronounced Primark as Primark :D
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the right way to say Jaguar?
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porsche (Por-sha), Nike (Nike-ee), Givenchy (Jhee-von-shee), Moët & Chandon (Mo-et, not Mo-eh).

Tess-co is sufficient for my purchasing requirements.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I knew an Irish girl who pronounced Peugeot (which I'd pronounce as Per-jhoh) as Pew-go, which apparently was the norm where she came from.

OP are you saying the correct pronunciation of Lidl is done in a Mexican accent? :D
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How are you meant to say Mistsubishi? I always went with Mit-soo-bish-ee, but I've also heard Meet-soo-beesh-ee.
  • gavincatgavincat Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Ibis (hotels) - we have always thought as eye-biss however friends say i-biss
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was kid I had lots of Calypso lollies but always called them Calippos and now it seems I wasn't the only one as they changed their name to Calippo.
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    euphie wrote: »

Preemark here as well :)
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tess-co is sufficient for my purchasing requirements.

I hate when people say Tescos. Or even worse Asdas :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I'll keep pronouncing 'Lidl' as /ˈlɪdəl/ (Lih-dawl) thanks.

The claim seems like a hypercorrection anyway. Not that the resident DS grammarians really have a grasp of what a hypercorrection is.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good list, though I'd probably go with 'porsh', sometimes with 'nike without the ee', usually 'mooway an shondon', always 'liddle' and never anything other than 'prymark'.

And 'jaguar' is pronounced 'jag' unless you want to be really pohsh and it is of course 'jagyooar' though not quite as countryside as that spelling might suggest! Add another 'r' for that ;)
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but he yanks pronounuce it "jag-war"!
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adidas is another one.
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    How are you meant to say Mistsubishi? I always went with Mit-soo-bish-ee, but I've also heard Meet-soo-beesh-ee.

Although we say So-nee (Sony) I understand we should say Sunny.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adidas is another one.

Everyone who's anyone knows that it is 'aid-eye-daze'
    Forum Member
    Rachael. wrote: »

Err....Guilty :blush:
    Forum Member
    Danone :p

If it wasn't for the advert ending, we'd all say Dan-Wun
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »

Lol come to Bristol sometime... Asda is 'az-duls' :D
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    I'll keep pronouncing 'Lidl' as /ˈlɪdəl/ (Lih-dawl) thanks.

The claim seems like a hypercorrection anyway. Not that the resident DS grammarians really have a grasp of what a hypercorrection is.

Lih-dawl?? Where on earth does the dawl come from? Surely "dl" suggests a sound like the end of middle, or riddle?