Options

Polygamy Britain

The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Nabilah, her husband and his two other wives are part of a growing number of polygamous marriages taking place in Britain. They are rubber-stamped under Sharia law, which considers polygamy completely legitimate as Muslim men are permitted to take up to four wives.

It is, of course, in complete contradiction to UK law, under which bigamy is illegal and can result in a prison sentence of up to seven years.

But as such marriages are not recognised by English courts — and around 70 to 75 per cent of Muslim weddings go unregistered — those who marry under the system are not subject to prosecution.

As a result, the practice is becoming increasingly commonplace across Britain, with 20,000 polygamous marriages now estimated to have taken place here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2762988/Strolling-park-London-businessman-THREE-wives-just-one-20-000-multi-wife-marriages-POLYGAMY-BRITAIN.html

Sharia law needs banning. UK law for UK citizens, nothing else.

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    how do you think banning sharia law will stop this, given that the unions are already illegal in uk law?

you cannot stop anyone [quite rightly] from living with as many partners simultaneously as they wish.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    They are not registered therefore not illegal, no more so than being married and having a bit on the side.:)
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How exactly does this really affect anyone else? If it's not a registered marriage how is it any different from a group of single people living together
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rather poor attempt at another anti-islam thread, but i suspect we'll see at least half a dozen pages of eager agreement with the OP ..
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as all parties are consenting, I don't see the issue...
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    rather poor attempt at another anti-islam thread, but i suspect we'll see at least half a dozen pages of eager agreement with the OP ..

Ding ding. All aboard the self righteous outrage bus.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Ding ding. All aboard the self righteous outrage bus.

As always, i love how certain feelings and emotions can be extracted from a line of ascii characters :)

But yes, let's jump on me again after a blatant fishing attempt from the OP ..
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this wasn't Muslims doing it many would be saying either nothing or well done to the man. The extra marriages are not and can never be legal here so no story really.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how do you think banning sharia law will stop this, given that the unions are already illegal in uk law?

you cannot stop anyone [quite rightly] from living with as many partners simultaneously as they wish.

I read this article in the paper and I believe either she or a ex-husband has 8 children and counting - a worse problem.

I don't agree with China's strict one-child-only policy but I hope it's rare for Muslim couples ( or indeed devout Christian couples ) to have 4 kids or more because they don't believe in contraception. Those 8 kids may now be responsible for 40+ descendants ( who would all need housing ) and those descendants responsible for 100+ more and on it goes. Britain's population has been kept down because we had an average of 2.4 children for many decades.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like most so far I fail to see the concern. Substitute '20,000 polygamous marriages' for '20,000 co-habiting relationships' (which is all they are) and the outrage should melt away. If two (or more) consenting people want to go through some sort of ceremony and declare themselves married, so be it. If it's not a legal marriage ceremony, it means fack all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    I read this article in the paper and I believe either she or a ex-husband has 8 children and counting - a worse problem.

I don't agree with China's strict one-child-only policy but I hope it's rare for Muslim couples ( or indeed devout Christian couples ) to have 4 kids or more because they don't believe in contraception. Those 8 kids may now be responsible for 40+ descendants ( who would all need housing ) and those descendants responsible for 100+ more and on it goes. Britain's population has been kept down because we had an average of 2.4 children for many decades.

i`m not even bothering with the content of your post but again, how would "banning sharia law" be relevant to or in any way tackle this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Like most so far I fail to see the concern. Substitute '20,000 polygamous marriages' for '20,000 co-habiting relationships' (which is all they are) and the outrage should melt away. If two (or more) consenting people want to go through some sort of ceremony and declare themselves married, so be it. If it's not a legal marriage ceremony, it means fack all.

Muslim men can have more than 1 wife but Muslim women can't have more than 1 husband - under Islam.
    It really doesn't fit with 'equal opportunities' Britain and confirms a stereotype about men.
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing about having four wives is, if lots of men did it, wouldn't there be a shortage of women available to marry?

Also, four wives = four mothers in law. Think about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i`m not even bothering with the content of your post but again, how would "banning sharia law" be relevant to or in any way tackle this?

I didn't say anything about banning sharia law. I dislike Christian couples who don't believe in contraception as much as Muslim ones and irresponsible male chaves who have 10 kids with 6 different women.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    deleted, cross posted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muslim men can have more than 1 wife but Muslim women can't have more than 1 husband - under Islam.
    It really doesn't fit with 'equal opportunities' Britain and confirms a stereotype about men.
    But under British law - which is the only one that matters here - Muslim men can only have one wife. What Islamic law says is completely irrelevant. You'll find that the Equality Act 2010 doesn't cover illegal acts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    The thing about having four wives is, if lots of men did it, wouldn't there be a shortage of women available to marry?.

Yep, because the women are only allowed 1 husband.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't say anything about banning sharia law. I dislike Christian couples who don't believe in contraception as much as Muslim ones and irresponsible male chaves who have 10 kids with 6 different women.

why did you quote me then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, because the women are only allowed 1 husband.
    Take it up with your local Imam. Or MP, if you're feeling mischievous.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member

Don't they? Contraception isn't forbidden in the Quran so it is a matter for interpretation... therefore there are some Muslim scholars who say it is wrong... but most say it is ok for a couple to use it. The only proscription I know of is irreversable sterilisation unless medically required, as scholars think it wrong to permanently stop the opportunity to have children.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why did you quote me then?

I was quoting the "you can't stop anyone, quite rightly" part of your post because you came across as sympathetic to Muslim men who have more than 1 'wife' as it were. If you meant that under 'British law' they can't be stopped, that's fine.

However, if every Muslim man behaved like this and were left unchallenged, British law would look like an ass.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I was quoting the "you can't stop anyone, quite rightly" part of your post because you came across as sympathetic to Muslim men who have more than 1 'wife' as it were. If you meant that under 'British law' they can't be stopped, that's fine.

However, if every Muslim man behaved like this and were left unchallenged, British law would look like an ass.

Why? It isn't illegal in this country to have relationships outside of legal marriage. You can refer to anyone as your wife if you want as well - you don't need to be married to do so.

This is nothing to do with British law at all, as it isn't being broken... we don't need to 'stop it' any more than we need to 'stop' people from having affairs. It is their business and theirs alone under our laws.
  • Options
    Forum Member

i`m sympathetic to people living their lives in any legally permitted way they choose regardless of religious beliefs.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What makes me laugh the most about the anti-islamic attacks is that people forget a lot of their views are replicated in conservative christianity, something which they don't seem to have a problem with. So a poster can write scare stories above about Muslim families rapidly expanding because they "don't believe in contraception", but then forgets that the largest Christian domination in the UK, Catholicism, holds exactly the same view.

With regards to Polygamy, I don't believe that anyone has the right to tell consenting adults what type of relationships they should have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But they don't, and it doesn't need challenging, because it's not an issue that has any legality or recognition in British law. Muslin 'communities' might consider it a valid arrangement, but so what? It means nothing.

(Incidentally, British law's already an ass, but not because of this.)