Options

Which comics did you read as a kid?

Comments

• Options
    Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to read Sonic The Comic :o, and The X Files. But obviously since then I just been reading graphic novels.

Sonic The Comic had Loads of Stories based on games at the time, Shinobi, Streets Of Rage, Eternal Champions, Decap Attack....etc, Oh and Sonic and Tails & Co.
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read 2000AD, Battle (loved Charley's War), Action, Warlord and Victor. I later started reading JLA, Avengers, Spiderman, Marvel Team Up, Marvel Two in One, Fantastic Four, Hulk, and the short lived Warrior. Happy Days!

Does anyone rememeber buying British comics in the 70's and seeing the dreaded words 'Exiting news for all our readers!' on the cover which inevitably meant that it was going to be swallowed up by a bigger title the very next issue! RIP Starlord, Tornado, Speed, Hotspur and many others.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Exiting? LOL That would be more appropiate than what it really said - exciting.

Remember Buster's last issue in 2000. The front cover showed four pictures of Buster from different eras/artists, with the modern one saying Sob! This is the last ever Buster! At least they admitted it on the cover. Of course, that's because there was nothing to merge with, as Sonic was the only other Fleetway comic remaining.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started off on titles like Buster and Dandy, then Marvel UK, Battle, Star Lord and 2000AD before discovering the American imports. I also have fond memories of Alan Class comics. Pretty much anything and everything, in fact!
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This site brought back a few memories:

http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/index.asp

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LOL tingramretro and I are both on their message board, with different user names. Just wait until you see what Al has planned for Comics UK version 2! The stuff on the current version of the site, is just the tip of the iceberg. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Never a big fan of comics when I was a kid, read the occasional Star Wars, 2000AD, The Eagle but that was about it.
  • Options
    NightSurferNightSurfer Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love my comics! My mother bought my comics every week and an annual every year for Xmas - the good old days. :D I wish I kept some of them now. I used to love reading The Beano, The Dandy, Whizzer and Chips and Buster (which they eventually both emerged together later on) Topper and The Beezer. And plus I used to read the little versions of The Beano and The Dandy every week too, which had glossy covers on the front and back. Did anyone else read them too?

I would love to know a place where I can get old comics and annuals.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love my comics! My mother bought my comics every week and an annual every year for Xmas - the good old days. :D I wish I kept some of them now. I used to love reading The Beano, The Dandy, Whizzer and Chips and Buster (which they eventually both emerged together later on) Topper and The Beezer. And plus I used to read the little versions of The Beano and The Dandy every week too, which had glossy covers on the front and back. Did anyone else read them too?

I would love to know a place where I can get old comics and annuals.

*ahem*
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/tingramretro/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Or you could try 26Pigs.
    Or Silver Acre
    Or Albion British Comics
    Or about a zillion ebayers.

Comics are out there. You just have to look.:)
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We joined the Dennis the menace fanclub.
    D.I.N.G! :D
  • Options
    TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Like most people, initially it was the "funnies" I read: Whizzer and Chips, the Dandy (loved Korky the cat!), Beano, Buster, Beezer et al. After I grew a little more mature I moved on to the war comics: Warlord, Battle Picture Weekly and of course the Battle series of small paperback mini-comics.

Then it was the Marvel phase: Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Thor, Avengers, Daredevil: anything I could get my hands on. Never really into the DC stuff.

Later I got into sci-fi, so it was Starlord, Action and then the big one: 2000 AD! I remained a fan of that for many years, and still do really, though I don't buy it anymore. After that I drifted into graphic novels like Arkham Asylum, the Dark Knight returns, Watchmen, V for Vendetta and even the bound collections of 2000 AD....

I was always amazed, as I grew up, how MATURE and ADULT the writing was, particularly in Marvel comics. I remember in one issue, not sure which but I'm pretty sure it was an Avengers one, a relatively minor character, the Swordsman, was killed, and it was very emotional. The closest thing to reading a well-written novel for me at the time...
  • Options
    leithladleithlad Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beano,Beezer,Dandy,Commando,Roy of the Rovers,Star Wars and being Scottish The Broons and Oor Wullie,discovered DC soon after and have been addicted ever since with my fave Graphic Novel being Arkham Asylum:).
  • Options
    Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    SHAFT wrote: »

Oh brill, love that site. Comics we bought in the early fifties were Robin, Swift, Girl and eventually Bunty.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beano, occasionally Dandy and 2000AD.
  • Options
    martinamerlotmartinamerlot Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dandy (I was a member of Desperate Dan's Pie Eaters Club :o:D), The Beano and The Topper. I loved Dan, Dennis the Menace, Beryl the Peril, Minnie the Minx, the Bash Street Kids and Korky the cat. :)
  • Options
    NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a big comic fan that changed with every year.

I started off getting Care Bears comic every week, then I moved on to Beano and Dandy every week, and then I moved onto Match and Shoot (not comics granted!)

I even started getting Viz because it was "cool" when I got old enough!

Oh and in between would get the Kids Newspaper comic you got in the Saturday Telegraph.
  • Options
    draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zounds wrote: »
    D.I.N.G! :D

D.O.N.G. !! :D
  • Options
    Loracan1Loracan1 Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Oh brill, love that site. Comics we bought in the early fifties were Robin, Swift, Girl and eventually Bunty.

I got the Bunty(4 new pence) throughout a fair part of the seventies and my sister (10 years older) reckoned they recycled a lot of the stories from when she'd read it a decade earlier. I joined the Bunty Club and had the scottish terrier brooch..

I've seen a few mentions of Cheeky Weekly in this thread but none of 'Krazy', which he developed from! My mum had to buy it for me to bribe me into visiting my Gran. There were times that left me crying in laughter.

Got 'Spellbound', - that had the supercats in it, 4 Amazonian space heroines. I joined that club. Think that either got combined with another or finished completely.

But my all-time favourite was 'Misty', beautifully illustrated magazine, great articles, wonderfully original stories sometimes bordering on the gory side (favourite was one with some chap coming back from the dead after being hanged. He and this girl fell in love but what I remember most vividly are the pictures of him with a broken neck). That merged with Jinty if I recall correctly...and I think it was the kiss of death if I subscribed (apart from Bunty)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Eagle,Buster,Whizzer And Chips,Beezer,Look in! and 2000AD.

All above + Starlord, Commando, Beano, Dandy, Hotspur, Spiderman weekly, Star Wars weekly, Xmen weekly, Thor Weekly, Hulk weekly, Victor, Tornado, Spike, Battle , the horror one from the same stable as 2000AD, any DC comic I could buy (usually House of Mystery or Weird War Tales). I am knocking on a bit now & I stopped going to Forbidden Planet when Preacher finished. I was actually still getting 2000ad & Judge Dredd delivered until last year, hadn't read it in the last 5 years.

Used to save them up & read complete stories, but the burrd moved in I couldn't get the bed to myself anymore. I need to stay up til she goes to bed so I can get peace, or if I try to go to bed myself, she decides she need to go too, I am living with a stalker I tells ye.

Still buy the occasional graphic novel, just recently rebought Marshall Law fear & loathing from FP coz it was £1.99. Favourite strip of all time is Zenith from 2000ad, part of book 2 was set during my birthday, which I always thought was cool, & had the best black & white art ever. Steve Yeowell was my hero. I was convinced back then I was going to direct a Zenith film, & had scenes all planned out in my head.

I would appear to have went off topic a bit, sorry folks.
  • Options
    demonbazzademonbazza Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    SHAFT wrote: »

Have to agree there.

was hoping to see more info on Hotspur - it seems you are the only other person here who remembers it.
    (that is if its the one I remember ! - the one with king Kobra, the guy in the snake suit, or maybe I just had too much cheese before going to bed :o)

:o No one else has mentioned girls comics. I remember a couple my sister used to get... 'Mandy', Jackie - though that was more photo-stories. There was one that smoethimes had freaky horror / scary stories in it but I can't remember what it was called. :eek:
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Playhour, Buster, Beezer, Ranger, TV21, TV Tornado, Valiant, Joe 90, Marvel Tales, The Flash and as many Alan Class black & white US reprints as I could lay my hands on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    As a kid in the early 70's I read the usual comics - Warlord and Bullet are 2 that I remember with fondness - I joined the "Fireball club", and the warlord one, whatever it was called - I'm sure I've still got both membership wallets somewhere, along with the survival guide which was given away with Bullet #2, an essential tool to any child growing up in the wilds of 70's Walsall . . . :D:D
  • Options
    cloudfactorycloudfactory Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    warlord,bullet,action,the crunch,2000ad,starlord,valiant,battle,hotspur and more of the same.anybody remember red dagger from the early 80s?it used to reprint an entire dc thompson story in one go.brilliant.i stopped getting 2000ad about 1984/5 which was the one i stayed with the longest.looking at it recently its really gone downhill and is boring.and expensive.i missed quite a few in the 70s so last year on ebay i got 5 cds which have the first 1500 issues along with annuals,summer specials,starlords and other bits n pieces.unbelivable amount of information on just 5 discs.im only upto issue 40.
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    British Marvel reprints to begin with (Transformers, Secret Wars etc) before graduating to 2000AD and Judge Dredd Megazine. Then I discovered a newsagent in town (god bless you Mr Patel wherever you are) that had a stack of US comics that came in every month. My addiction took hold full time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    demonbazza wrote: »
    :o No one else has mentioned girls comics. I remember a couple my sister used to get... 'Mandy', Jackie - though that was more photo-stories. There was one that smoethimes had freaky horror / scary stories in it but I can't remember what it was called. :eek:
    Misty?