Recommend me some comics? (Trades)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
Forum Member
Hi.

I am going over to America thissummer and hope to visit a few comic book storesin New York. I have a number of trade collections on my shelf, and was hoping maybe some folk could recommend good ones for me to pick up when I'm over there, and can get them slightly cheaper than in the U.K.

Those I have enjoyed have been: Hellboy, Northlanders, The Boys, Preacher, (Marvel) Deadpool, Avengers, Moon Knight, Thor, Spiderman, among others.

Those few are my faves though, to give an idea of what I enjoy.

All help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    I don't know if they are going to be much cheaper in store compared to on-line over here.

But if you want to try and going by some of the titles in your list I suggest Hellblazer, some of those are by Garth Ennis and I think that DC are going to start a complete collection series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I don't know if they are going to be much cheaper in store compared to on-line over here.

But if you want to try and going by some of the titles in your list I suggest Hellblazer, some of those are by Garth Ennis and I think that DC are going to start a complete collection series.

Thanks. I'm intrigued by Hellblazer. I am into myths and monsters, demons etc, so the idea appeals.

Is the Ennis run a good place to start with? I like The Boys and Preacher, but sometimes his style is too much. (I'm looking at you Chronicles of Wormwood)
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucifer

Powers

Sandman.
  • StuBStuB Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Lucifer. Maybe have a look at "Y the Last Man" too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Deschain wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm intrigued by Hellblazer. I am into myths and monsters, demons etc, so the idea appeals.

Is the Ennis run a good place to start with? I like The Boys and Preacher, but sometimes his style is too much. (I'm looking at you Chronicles of Wormwood)

Pretty much any Hellblazer is a good place to start as there is not too much continuity. The supporting characters have a tendency to get killed off!

Other Ennis stuff that I would recommend is dependent on what you mean by too much. There is the Crossed which has quite extreme zomiesque violence, but then there are The War Stories for DC and the Battlefields done more recently for Dynamite, both of which are excellent.
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    Lucifer

Powers

Sandman.

Tried Sandman, and after reading the first 2 volumes, it left me cold. I know it's sacreligious among most comic fans, but I found it boring, dull and felt it dragged.

Might investigate Lucifer though. Thanks
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Lucifer here, too. Mike Carey is good with horror/fantasy stuff. Some of it is slow burn but I've got the full set, well worth it!

However, as already mentioned, with buying trade collections/graphic novels there isn't a big difference between here and the US, especially when you can get stuff quite cheap on Amazon over here. When you take into consideration size/weight issues (depending on what you buy) there might not be much point.
    The main difference is with the comics themselves, and it used to be an even bigger pull years ago when we were a few months behind US releases. We're only a day behind the US nowadays.
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Another vote for Lucifer here, too. Mike Carey is good with horror/fantasy stuff. Some of it is slow burn but I've got the full set, well worth it!

However, as already mentioned, with buying trade collections/graphic novels there isn't a big difference between here and the US, especially when you can get stuff quite cheap on Amazon over here. When you take into consideration size/weight issues (depending on what you buy) there might not be much point.
    The main difference is with the comics themselves, and it used to be an even bigger pull years ago when we were a few months behind US releases. We're only a day behind the US nowadays.

Yeah, I'm aware that maybe I wont save a whole load of money, but as I'm over there and saving up spending money, and tend to spend a fair amount on comics anyway, I thought I would just buy some when over there anyway.

Will be more trades though, because as you pointed out, I can get Wednesdays comics on a Friday over here anyway!