Listen: Melanie Amaro shows how great a singer Alexandra is

Comments

• BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one thing that I thought about the other day is what will happen to Leona if (or when) Simon signs Melanie. People are always saying that Leona doesn't get the support from Syco or the right material etc. If Simon has a new diva to play with I can see Leona getting pushed even further into the background - sort of like Shayne when Leona came along.

Leona is always going to be Simon's teacher's pet. And I'm pretty sure he knows she's a much better singer than Melanie. But he's a buisnessman at the end of the day. He knows that if Americans buy into Melanie as a new "vocal diva", then she could potentially have a far longer lasting career than Leona (at least in the States).

As an aside, I can't believe how good R .Kelly still sounds. Melanie seemed a bit outclassed singing I Believe I Can Fly with him. He's never fully quite gotten the credit of his female equivalents (Mariah, Whitney, Christina etc), but R.Kelly is probably the most vocally talented mainstream male pop vocalist of the last 2 decades. The likes of Usher or JUstin Timberlake (or even Ne-Yo) do not compare.
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boxfresh wrote: »
    Leona is always going to be Simon's teacher's pet. And I'm pretty sure he knows she's a much better singer than Melanie. But he's a buisnessman at the end of the day. He knows that if Americans buy into Melanie as a new "vocal diva", then she could potentially have a far longer lasting career than Leona (at least in the States).

As an aside, I can't believe how good R .Kelly still sounds. Melanie seemed a bit outclassed singing I Believe I Can Fly with him. He's never fully quite gotten the credit of his female equivalents (Mariah, Whitney, Christina etc), but R.Kelly is probably the most vocally talented mainstream male pop vocalist of the last 2 decades. The likes of Usher or JUstin Timberlake (or even Ne-Yo) do not compare.

To be honest I've never felt that Justin Compares to anyone, i've always thought his voice was paper thin and really nasally.

R Kelly has always been underrated as a singer (especially after all the 'allegations'). But yeah I agree, his voice is fantasic. I wasn't planning on watching the final as I've got completely bored with XFUS, but I might check it out to see Melanie and R Kelly together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I've never felt that Justin Compares to anyone, i've always thought his voice was paper thin and really nasally.

I used to sy the same thing. Then we got the likes of Chris Brown and Jason DeRulo taking over the R&B/pop scene. And those dudes can barely hold a note between them. Brown needs auto-tune for almost everything.

Compared to some of the guys that have come on the scene since, Timberlake doesn't seem quite so mediocre anymore. It's all relative though. But male singing pop talent seems to get worse and worse. It's why people struggle to name male equivalents to all the great female singers around these days.
  • ShoedShoed Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    I prefer Alex personally, she is the star...

she doesn't only have an amazing voice, she can dance and perform to an excellent standard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I know I watched Melanie's performance this morning and I have to say it was so generic and basic to me. She didn't shine like I expected her to or thought she would and its a shame that all the judges are sat there literally LYING to her saying it was the best thing they've ever heard.
    I can't @ Simon calling her the greatest singer. What is wrong with that man??!!

They are just setting her up for a FAIL. I mean think about it? Whats her sound, style and niche? Ballads? I feel like she'll flop if she wins because I don't get or identify her artistry in ANY way. Chris Rene, Josh, Astro and Drew I think could be the biggest artists in the charts after the show.

I HATE how they make the whole $5 million thing such a big deal. They mention it ALL the time and its like "I thought its about the TALENT not the money??"
    Forum Member
    Shoed wrote: »
    I prefer Alex personally, she is the star...

she doesn't only have an amazing voice, she can dance and perform to an excellent standard.

I wanna see Melanie Amaro try and perform with even an ounce of Alex's swag, stage presence and performance ability:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER_j7xTwy7o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aED1GTZvLA&feature=related

Those 2 performances >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all Melanie's performances on XF USA
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abraham412 wrote: »
    I know I watched Melanie's performance this morning and I have to say it was so generic and basic to me. She didn't shine like I expected her to or thought she would and its a shame that all the judges are sat there literally LYING to her saying it was the best thing they've ever heard.
    I can't @ Simon calling her the greatest singer. What is wrong with that man??!!

"

LOL!

Simon was clearly lying through his teeth. Yeah, it was a basic and generic performance. And she wasn't that impressive on the duet either.

But Simon has to sell Melanie as the greatest thing ever, because this season of US X-Factor has been a bit of a bust. They didn't find the great new, potentially international superstar talent that they were hyping, the ratings have been average etc. None of them is really worth a 5 mill contract.

I think Simon mus now secretly appreciate how brilliant Alex really is, after having to lie through his teeth about Melanie being some game changing, world class diva. If Melanie can be passed off as "great" in America these days, Alex would slay and snatch wigs all over the US.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched both. Alex was at least three times as good. Also, was Melanie's outfit made of the remnants of Johnny Robinson's costumes? Not a good look.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,129
    Forum Member
    Leona and Alex are far better vocalists than Melanie, but she has a good voice.
    Forum Member
    Boxfresh wrote: »
    LOL!

Simon was clearly lying through his teeth. Yeah, it was a basic and generic performance. And she wasn't that impressive on the duet either.

But Simon has to sell Melanie as the greatest thing ever, because this season of US X-Factor has been a bit of a bust. They didn't find the great new, potentially international talent that they were hyping, the ratings have been average etc. None of them is really worth a 5 mill contract.

I think Simon mus nowt secretly appreciate how brilliant Alex really is, after having to lie through his teeth about Melanie being some game changing, world class diva. If Melanie can be passed off as "great" in America these days, Alex would slay and snatch wigs all over the US.

IKR? He didn't give Alex even HALF of the attention he gave to Leona. He put Leona OUT there in America. Got her on Oprah, gave her top producers to work with, got Clive Davis on board, got her to perform at Clive's star studded pre-Grammy party etc. Even though she is talented, look at her now. No one is checking for at this moment because Simon simply never gets it right and if he does, its only for a moment aka Leona's debut Spirit. Echo was a mess, boring and she tried to change it up with the hideous 'Collide" but that was a mess too and caused them to push the album back.

I'm glad Alex woke up and left Syco. Hopefully she can finally get her music out there in the US since Simon failed to that with her last year.

Poor Simon, he was way too cocky about XF USA saying it would get 20 million viewers, he lost potentially his best act IMO, Drew simply because he put her in a box and gave her the same songs. Now he's gonna get a wake up call when Melanie releases her first album and no one buys it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abraham412 wrote: »
    IKR? He didn't give Alex even HALF of the attention he gave to Leona. He put Leona OUT there in America. Got her on Oprah, gave her top producers to work with, got Clive Davis on board, got her to perform at Clive's star studded pre-Grammy party etc. Even though she is talented, look at her now. No one is checking for at this moment because Simon simply never gets it right and if he does, its only for a moment aka Leona's debut Spirit. Echo was a mess, boring and she tried to change it up with the hideous 'Collide" but that was a mess too and caused them to push the album back.

I'm glad Alex woke up and left Syco. Hopefully she can finally get her music out there in the US since Simon failed to that with her last year.

Poor Simon, he was way too cocky about XF USA saying it would get 20 million viewers, he lost potentially his best act IMO, Drew simply because he put her in a box and gave her the same songs. Now he's gonna get a wake up call when Melanie releases her first album and no one buys it.

I think Simon was too emotionally invested in Leona at one point. I don't think he liked the idea of someone coming along to steal her thunder. When Ben Shepard (former GMTV host) called into X-Tra Factor after Alex won the 2008 final, Shepard said he thought Alexandra was the best vocalist that's ever been on the show. Simon looked aghast, as if he wanted to say, "how dare you insult Leona by making that claim". Simon just never wanted to class her on Leona's level as a singer, and it was obvious. It's becoming really clear how special a vocalist Alex is, but he was too blind to see it. No one could compare to Leona in his eyes, and that always spelled trouble for how he'd handle Alex.

That personal bias stopped him from doing as much for Alex as he could have done. If he wanted to, he could have hyped her up to the Americans Leona style, and Alex was more than good enough for them to buy it. But he left it to Beyonce to help Alex secure an American record deal, and put zero effort into getting her through in America. Bit of a waste really.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sazaleeno wrote: »
    Leona and Alex are far better vocalists than Melanie, but she has a good voice.

Here here :)
  • ParnebParneb Posts: 5,676
    Forum Member
    Alex is streets ahead in singing terms than Melanie. Also, when Alex on was on UK X Factor you never heard her do sob story after sob story after sob story, nor beg to be kept in the X Factor with tears streaming down her face....enough to make me puke. Melanie needs to cut out the sob stories. I hope she does not win.
  • NightFallsNightFalls Posts: 8,596
    Forum Member
    Melanie is the best and i hope she wins!!

Go Mel! :D
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Melanie's version was far superior. Alexandra is a good singer but... outside of belting, she doesn't have much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    I think Melanie's version was far superior. Alexandra is a good singer but... outside of belting, she doesn't have much.

Her lower register is far better than Melanie's. And her falsetto isn't bad either. C#6 for her vocal type is impressive.
  • soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »

I find just the opposite. Haven't listened to US XF so far, but went to check out Melanie's version and it didn't have the wonderful tone of Alex's version of Listen. I found Melanie's quite shouty and the emotion didn't come across. Quite the opposite of Alex's lovely soulful voice and emotions.
    Good luck anyway to Melanie, because she obviously appeals to a lot of people, just not to me.
  • longterm67longterm67 Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Melanie=Premiership Top 5
    Alexandra= Sunday football.com!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    jiopsi wrote: »

Lol they found Beyonce weakest "Listen" performance to compare Melanie to. Bee was sick with the stomach flu that night, she still sounded great but was obviously not at her full self. Should have compared it to this performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4poK-jk2rE
  • ShoedShoed Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    longterm67 wrote: »

I think you put it in the wrong order...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    They have very different voices so it's hard to compare. alex has a deeper voice imo so it changes how we hear the song because we are so used to beyonces version. However, melanie sounds like beyonce but isn't as vocally talented as her so it sounds like a tribute act. I think Alex and Melanie are equal in terms of vocal ability. Having said that, both cannot hold a candle to beyonce. Beyonce showed up alex in their duet effortlessly. And because both alex and melanie are touted good singers above anything else, i don't think either will ever be as big as beyonce.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmr2009 wrote: »
    Lol they found Beyonce weakest "Listen" performance to compare Melanie to. Bee was sick with the stomach flu that night, she still sounded great but was obviously not at her full self. Should have compared it to this performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4poK-jk2rE
    I still think Melanies both performances were better, Beyonce shouted too much at the end part, and Melanie looks way more effortless, and she's only 19.
  • Mr BlondeMr Blonde Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Melanie is nothing but a run-of-the-mill Whitney Houston impersonator...we've seen it all before but unfortunately the Americans haven't...Marcus, Josh and Chris will be much bigger stars...Melanie is the Steve Brookstein of the US Factor (first and worst winner)...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    longterm67 wrote: »

Actually its:

Alexandra = Champions League #1
    Melanie = Kids Little League South London

:cool::cool::cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 883
    Forum Member