Susanna Reid on air discomfort Sat 21/1/12

mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
Forum Member
✭✭
Did anybody watch Breakfast yesyerday morning? Susanna, between about 8 and 9 was visibly uncomfortable and was really struggling to keep it together. She fluffed her lines a few times. Was she in pain?

Comments

• BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you had asked me yesterday morning I might have remembered!

Over 24 hours later I'm struggling to remember tbh
  • mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you had seen it you would have remembered. PS is every day your birthday? ;)
    If you had asked me yesterday morning I might have remembered!

Over 24 hours later I'm struggling to remember tbh
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mychmose wrote: »
    If you had seen it you would have remembered. PS is every day your birthday? ;)

Yes :p

I saw her having the fit of the giggles with Miranda but I think that was on Friday
  • Juls_HJuls_H Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she was leant over the desk at one time. Maybe she was in pain.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Did anybody watch Breakfast yesyerday morning? Susanna, between about 8 and 9 was visibly uncomfortable and was really struggling to keep it together. She fluffed her lines a few times. Was she in pain?

I find watching this airhead painful.
  • MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps her fake tan was itchy she had far too much on imo.
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    M@nterik wrote: »

True. She is the worst presenter after Bill Turnball for trying to dominate, and then just being an air head.

if it wasnt for the perv brigade im sure she wouldnt be so popular.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Susanna is the best presenter, even better than Sophie for flashing her legs, giving us a tickle, and being an air head.
    if it wasn't for the bore brigade she'd be even more popular.
  • mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True. She is the worst presenter after Bill Turnball for trying to dominate, and then just being an air head.

if it wasnt for the perv brigade im sure she wouldnt be so popular.

Take your point but she is much less affected than Sian Williams.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least Ms Williams has some form of gravitas while Reid would be more suited to Daybreak.
  • Jaly77Jaly77 Posts: 334
    Forum Member

She shat herself
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really dont get the attaction of Susanna Reid, everyone on here says she is the most attractive women newsreader on TV but I just dont see it, Sian Williams is far more fitter in my opinion.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »

Susannah is not an airhead or someone just to ogle, she is incredibly intelligent.
  • SuperbeastSuperbeast Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    Susannah is not an airhead or someone just to ogle, she is incredibly intelligent.

She reads autocue and can't even do that right half the time, let's not get ahead of ourselves here proclaiming anyone that can't even do that properly most of the time incredibly intelligent. Next you'll be recommending Wayne Rooney for spatial physics consultations with Brian Cox because he can kick a ball at the right time in the right direction and so therefore must implicitly understand the nature of all natural progression.
  • kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If she was in pain may I be the first one to offer to rub it better.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superbeast wrote: »
    She reads autocue and can't even do that right half the time, let's not get ahead of ourselves here proclaiming anyone that can't even do that properly most of the time incredibly intelligent. Next you'll be recommending Wayne Rooney for spatial physics consultations with Brian Cox because he can kick a ball at the right time in the right direction and so therefore must implicitly understand the nature of all natural progression.

It seems to be the standard insult now to accuse someone of "reading an autocue" and somehow that is considered to show a lack of intelligence though just about every world leader frequently reads an autocue.

A live programme like the breakfast ones will have its running order changing all the time and at short notice. The presenters will often need to follow a prepared script to lead into a report so it can be cued in correctly. It's quite possible that they have not seen the script before for some items.

Perhaps we should revert to the old days when people crawled around on the floor pushing pieces of paper into the hands of presenters or big telephones on the desk for them to answer.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a supposed airhead, she seems to have done well:
    Susanna began her journalism career as Editor of the student newspaper EpiGram at Bristol University where she studied Politics and Philosophy. She went on to gain a Postgraduate Diploma in Broadcast Journalism at Cardiff.

In 1998 she worked for three months in Sri Lanka as a voluntary media consultant for a charity which counsels victims of the civil war and operates orphanages and social development programmes

She's also graced the stage and screen as an actress - appearing with Shirley-Anne Field in Agatha Christie's 'Spider's Web' in 1982, and then in 1985 alongside Harriet Walter, Peter Barkworth, Adrian Dunbar and Derek Thompson in 'The Price' on Channel 4.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/breakfast/5117192.stm

Back to the actual thread question: she was fine on Saturday between 6am and 7am, and was fine on Sunday morning at 6am.
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    I really dont get the attaction of Susanna Reid, everyone on here says she is the most attractive women newsreader on TV but I just dont see it, Sian Williams is far more fitter in my opinion.

Are you mad? Sian Williams is a scrawny lollipop headed Nancy Reagan look a like clone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    It seems to be the standard insult now to accuse someone of "reading an autocue" and somehow that is considered to show a lack of intelligence though just about every world leader frequently reads an autocue.

A live programme like the breakfast ones will have its running order changing all the time and at short notice. The presenters will often need to follow a prepared script to lead into a report so it can be cued in correctly. It's quite possible that they have not seen the script before for some items.

Perhaps we should revert to the old days when people crawled around on the floor pushing pieces of paper into the hands of presenters or big telephones on the desk for them to answer.

Yep, the tired old 'autocue' line. I guess some people want news readers to ad-lib the whole news inbetween reading poetry and juggling whilst riding a mono-cycle.
  • SuperbeastSuperbeast Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Being able to read does not make you intelligent, merely capably literate.

Are you seriously comparing the duties of a newsreader to a nationally elected government representative?

Whats your next trick, comparing ditch diggers to the people drilling the ocean bed for oil?

How about the kids that built a go kart to the Ferrari F1 engineering team?

Come on, pull the other one, it's got bells on it. Most 8 years olds can stand up and read something out loud from something in front of them. I'm not going to go around suggesting the majority of 8 year olds are highly intelligent on that basis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you seriously comparing the duties of a newsreader to a nationally elected government representative?

Whats your next trick, comparing ditch diggers to the people drilling the ocean bed for oil?

Come on, pull the other one, it's got bells on it. Most 8 years olds can stand up and read something out loud from something in front of them. I'm not going to go around suggesting the majority of 8 year olds are highly intelligent on that basis.

So what exactly are you expecting a news reader to do?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mike Aspel has a nice story about that from the Alexandra Palace days. The phone on the desk had not been used for months and months. He was live on air and suddenly heard it ringing but couldn't work out where it was at first. Apparently one of the cleaners had put it in a drawer in the desk. Eventually he found it and pulled it out - by which time it had stopped ringing. So he simply said ''I've told you not to ring me at work dear'' and put the phone down.:eek:
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is just that some one here seem to consider that using an autocue is a sign of ignorance or inability to do their job. It is just a tool of the trade like the earpiece getting instructions from the producer (does that prove inability as well?) and the computer on the desk in front of them.

I just pointed out that many people use autocues now.

No one doubts the ability of many people to read something out. What is more difficult is to read something out whilst someone is shouting in your ear, perhaps someone alongside speaking to you and someone else in front waving something at you. All quite likely to happen in a live TV environment as they trying to lead into the next item which has been cued correctly for someone on the other end of a satellite link to know when to start speaking.

I don't watch breakfast programmes very often but whenever I have seen her she seems quite a competent presenter but I am sure you think that you can do the job far better.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is more difficult is to read something out whilst someone is shouting in your ear, perhaps someone alongside speaking to you and someone else in front waving something at you.
    Whilst being able to sound natural, with the right vocal inflections in the right places, as opposed to some sort of automaton
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm not really bothered if she's classed as an autocutie or not. I don't see her much because of the time she is on but she has always seemed ok. Seems more comfortable on the sofa as part of lightweight chat than behind a desk delivering horrific news, maybe that's just me though.

She scrubs up well though