Options

Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    This week so far, only Emilys starter has really met the brief.

Its a God send Corrigan isn't judging this or we would all have shot ourselves by now, listening to him going on about the humour.

maybe he finds fish and chips without chips and tablecloths and china hysterical too?
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh please! :rolleyes:

... and if one more chef justifies the comedy element by explaining that "food is nice and makes you smile", I swear I'll reach into my TV and grab them by the goujons!
    I like your style :p
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I fear we have sunk to a new low, and I'm absolutely gob-smacked that TK has helped plunge the depths!

Nan's nicely-cooked but BORING roast dinner on old plates is not funny. It's not even mildly amusing! It has nothing to do with Comic Relief! :mad:

(Cue forced laughter from the judges on Friday!)

... and if one more chef justifies the comedy element by explaining that "food is nice and makes you smile", I swear I'll reach into my TV and grab them by the goujons!

I think it needs explaining to the majority of the chefs (on both sides of the table) that smiling does not necessarily equal funny. There is smug smiling (ahem), benevolent smiling, drug induced smiling, gun to your head smiling.

All Peter's dishes must come with an unseen side order of nitrous oxide.

Or 100% proof distilled moonshine.

Or possibly class A drugs.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    I think it needs explaining to the majority of the chefs (on both sides of the table) that smiling does not necessarily equal funny. There is smug smiling (ahem), benevolent smiling, drug induced smiling, gun to your head smiling.

All Peter's dishes must come with an unseen side order of nitrous oxide.

Or 100% proof distilled moonshine.

Or possibly class A drugs.

or aforementioned gun to the head?!
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Love that it's always 'rising star ' emily, 'classically trained' chris and 'young gun' peter - really helps with tne identification ........
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It's starting to get on my tits a bit now

I think we should have "hard done-by" Emily, "sweaty bunny in the headlights" Chris, and "Hello! Have you read the brief" Peter from now on!
  • Options
    strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we should have "hard done-by" Emily, "sweaty bunny in the headlights" Chris, and "Hello! Have you read the brief" Peter from now on!

Brilliant!:D
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Actually during the judging of her venison dish the shot of Emily looked like she was a deer in the headlights.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Actually during the judging of her venison dish the shot of Emily looked like she was a deer in the headlights.
    Her line that her venison ribs in beetroot gel looked a bit like red noses was a line worthy of Emo Phillips. It's surrealist humour of the most extremely challenging style.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,943
    Forum Member
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    That venison is way too raw for me, but I do like the look of the dish

Venison needs to be served very rare. Not raw, which it wasn't.
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Her line that her venison ribs in beetroot gel looked a bit like red noses was a line worthy of Emo Phillips. It's surrealist humour of the most extremely challenging style.
    I think she meant the globs of sloe gel. Not that they looked like red noses either.

Picky! :D
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,943
    Forum Member
    I think she meant the globs of sloe gel. Not that they looked like red noses either.

Picky! :D

I don't think it's picky really. Raw venison is purple in colour, it clearly wasn't anywhere near raw.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Trundling out a roast dinner should have scored 5 or 6 at best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member

I fear we have sunk to a new low, and I'm absolutely gob-smacked that TK has helped plunge the depths!

Nan's nicely-cooked but BORING roast dinner on old plates is not funny. It's not even mildly amusing! It has nothing to do with Comic Relief! :mad:

(Cue forced laughter from the judges on Friday!)

Brilliant - that made me laugh!! I could not agree more. Tonight I thought that I was watching a completely different show. Emily was the only chef who was asked what her dish had to do with comic relief. Which is bizarre, given that the other two were even more removed.

I'm baffled to be honest. :confused::confused:

Her starter was the closest thing we have seen this week to the brief

I love GBM, but what really is the point in having a brief if marks aren't actually awarded for following it:eek:
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    chloe_26 wrote: »
    haha one spud at a time :D

So if that dish won the main course, he should start prepping about 3 months ago :rolleyes: (at Peter, not you)
    chloe_26 wrote: »
    Peter thought it was hilarious lol

I'm getting quite scared at what Peter finds hilarious - seemingly everything as a child :confused:
    planets wrote: »
    i hope emily gets through and the judges like her food best

So am I :)
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was too me - different tastes and all that :D
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are convinced that as a Comic relief joke someone sent the South West a different brief than everyone else, one that asked for nostalgic memories of your childhood, as they keep mentioning that theme over and over again.

I'm also concerned that Tom is suffering from some form of short term memory loss. He says that Peter's dish isn't humourous in any way and then minutes later gives it a high mark, meanwhile after praising Emily highly he marks her low (although not last night thankfully).

It's a very frustrating week and none of these chefs should be anywhere near the final banquet (unless they pull off a fantastic dessert).

Talking of desserts, shouldn't we have seen an ice cream machine by now? We've had a Slush Puppy maker but Ice Cream cones are a GBM tradition. :D

(At least many people are keeping up the tradition that main courses must be served on a wooden board and there must be no plates in sight)
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    Trundling out a roast dinner should have scored 5 or 6 at best.
    Perhaps that was the joke.

When asked to prepare some cutting edge gormet meal he reproduced a roast dinner his nan made 60+ years ago.

It's retro irony. :p
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Extract from a recent interview with Peter ...

Interviewer: "So, Peter, what would you say was the funniest thing that's ever happened to you?"

Peter: "Oh, there are so many to choose from! I remember when I was a child we'd sometimes go on a picnic and what made it so funny was that we'd have quiche and Scotch eggs! I could hardly eat for laughing! Then there was the time I went for fish and chips, but ... guess what? I decided not to have any chips! It was so witty I almost wet myself laughing! However, the funniest thing I remember ... and you just won't believe this ... my Nan used to cook us a roast dinner and ... well, guess what she did! She served it on old-style crockery ... and get this ... she used a table-cloth too! It was absolutely hilarious!"

Interviewer: "Well, thank you Peter! One final question ... have you ever considered a career in comedy?" :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Extract from a recent interview with Peter ...

Interviewer: "So, Peter, what would you say was the funniest thing that's ever happened to you?"

Peter: "Oh, there are so many to choose from! I remember when I was a child we'd sometimes go on a picnic and what made it so funny was that we'd have quiche and Scotch eggs! I could hardly eat for laughing! Then there was the time I went for fish and chips, but ... guess what? I decided not to have any chips! It was so witty I almost wet myself laughing! However, the funniest thing I remember ... and you just won't believe this ... my Nan used to cook us a roast dinner and ... well, guess what she did! She served it on old-style crockery ... and get this ... she used a table-cloth too! It was absolutely hilarious!"

Interviewer: "Well, thank you Peter! One final question ... have you ever considered a career in comedy?" :rolleyes:

:D:D:D
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    We are convinced that as a Comic relief joke someone sent the South West a different brief than everyone else, one that asked for nostalgic memories of your childhood, as they keep mentioning that theme over and over again.

In fairness the brief this year is probably the hardest ever to nail correctly - and so it should be it, as GBM is now a very prestigious contest. Out of all the dozens and dozens of dishes on view only a small percentage are likely to tick all the boxes successfully enough to consider them potential banquet standard. That's why they have the heats so that you can eliminate the weaker chefs (though of course sometimes within that good dishes get lost without wanting to dust off that particular chestnut).

Food and humour are two of the most subjective fields to all people in their own right, never mind trying to combine the 2, and I am finding interesting to see chefs at the top of their profession really putting themselves under pressure to deliver something special.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what has Peter's nan cooked up this time?
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member

heehee
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apple Pie:D
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    Apple Pie:D
    It's like he wants to annoy us! While some of the red globes/red noses have got a little boring at least it's an acknowledgement of the theme. Seems to have passed the young gun by.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really want Chris and Emily to go through after seeing their desserts, unfortunately I think Peters too far ahead now so hes a definite