http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1243774&page=5

Not like she wasn;t told.

See this post.

Get a grip.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I looked at the other thread and saw:

"I find it impossible to save, me saving £10 a week is impossible. I have bills to pay, a son to feed."

But you still manage to prioritise buying a brand new TV on the never-never rather than (as everyone else suggested) a second hand one for under a tenner because "I see a TV as an essential."

I think you might need to get a grip... on your finances.

-rapido
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cherry84 wrote: »
    Whatever.

Why are you so rude everywhere you go?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cherry84 wrote: »
    Whatever.

You are Vicky Pollard and I claim my five pounds.

-rapido
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I saw mention of Baird, I immediately thought Radio Rentals are back in business, but from what I've read on here someone has probably bought the rights to the name and the television is probably made in China.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    The only Baird TV's I've seen these days are in Brighthouse... you know that lovely company that has modest interest rates

:D

In conclusion: Avoid Baird as it's cheap budget equipment and most likely from Brighthouse who'll happily charge you a fortune.

Interesting that they started as part of the Thorn Group but have since had some bad publicity.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2006/feb/05/retail.money1

Not a company I would deal with.
  • Robert__lawRobert__law Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to get a TV with Baird on it back in the 80s I used to rent from Radio Rentals

unfortunatly Brighthouse is a complete and utter rip off, even paying cash it is still astronomical

however I beleve from reading on the internet these sets are made by Philips
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Philips is now possibly funai.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    pocatello wrote: »
    Philips is now possibly funai.

. . . yes I said that earlier.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason that Baird TVs are only seen in Brighthouse stores is that the Baird name is owned by the company that owns Brighthouse,same as you could get Thorn Products in the 90s via them(when they were Crazy Georges)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was passing one of theses stores the other day and a large TV caught my eye, it was a 55in Baird lcd tv, it was in the window, I had a go look from very tight angles left right and top and bottom, and I could not see any change in picture quality, as good as a panasonic ips panel.
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also get an LED not an LCD as the picture is better I think. :D
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crikey!

"Baird Brand" originally was Thorn (Radio Rentals), and they were the most unrelaible tv sets ever made (poor design, coupled with British quality control). I think the "name" now belongs to a Chinese company.

Electronic television was invented by Campbell Swinton, who also "anticipated" Farnsworth's Image Dissector device!

A working electronic system was invented by Zworykin in the USA - working at RCA - and "copied" in the UK at EMI, where Blumlein introducted innovations that got "injected back" into both versions (notably, frame equalising pulses) .........
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    "Baird Brand" originally was Thorn (Radio Rentals), and they were the most unrelaible tv sets ever made (poor design, coupled with British quality control).

Thorn sets were as good as any others, and better than most - they also were world leaders in many aspects of domestic Electronics.

The two 'top' brands were probably Thorn and RBM, and I'd suggest Thorn were probably slightly the better?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rented from Radio Rentals for years back in the 80s and never had any problems with the sets the best one I had was the supersound stereo TV this was years before nicam and gave a simulated stereo efect which was very good

both paul nipko and cambell swinton came up with ideas for television systems but they never got further than a sheet of paper because outher technology was neede to make these systems work , cambell swinton was in the right direction for all electronic tv using crt.

But it was Baird who invented TV because he was the first in the world to produce a TV picture , before farsworth's blob
    people can put JLB down all they want but he was first

TV started out mechanical but over the years has evolved
    it is now totaly different from marconi emi as there is no CRT 's in use either in the camera or the reciever ( unless you are still watching a crt in 2010)

when the railway train was invented by stevenson it was steam, nowadays trains are deisel or electric powerd like tv they have evolved and stevenson invented the railway train

Baird was first in the world to get a TV system up and running involved turning light to electricity and used a scanning system modern TV involves the same process
    but has evolved but we still use mechanical equipment DVD and VHS and Blueray are all examples of mechanical TV like the original televisor there are motors and moving parts
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen quite of lot of Thorn/Baird rental sets, B&W and colour. They were all unreliable crap. But your experience may be different .....

Campbell Swinton was the 1st person ever to describe electronic tv. He got it fundamentlally correct. Especially anticipating the Image Dissector (breaking up the photosensitive surface into a matrix, which Sarnoff of RCA had to "purchase" from Farnsworth .......).

Baird tv had "novellty value only". Practically speaking, it was useless! When the BBC finally ran side-by-side trials of the Baird and EMI systems, the Baird 200 line system was "utterly dire". Effectively, there were no cameras, "live studio action" was filmed, run through a developing bath, then straight into a telecine .........

Baird didn't really understand what he was doing. Basically, he was a "trial and error man", and he stuck with mechanical tv long after this was generally understood to be useless ...........

Campbell Swinton invented electronic tv BEFORE the triode existed! For his scheme to "become practical", it needed the development of "fundamental electronics" (Black, Bode, Nyquist, etc), along with practical transmission line techniques for the high frequencies involved ............
    Forum Member
    Robert law seems to list baird tv service as his job. So i guess thats the reason he finds it necessary to exagerate bairds contributions to television. His attribution of credit for bluray to baird based on them both having "mechanical moving parts" kinda reveals a fundamental misunderstanding of the basic concepts and differences between the technology. I mean really, its like saying that since thomas edison was a pioneer in use of electricity he invented computers. Like lightbulbs they all run on those electricities after all!!

bahahahah!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baird was "a character"! And, basically a salesman. He "peddled" some dubious gadgets before finally settling upon television.

He wasn't an engineer. He didn't understand electronic theory, it was all "trial and error" (similar to Thomas Edison).

It's recently become fashionable to "praise" Baird's colour system, but this was for cinemas only! Basically, mechanical tv was a dead end, and he "pushed" it well beyond breaking point.

The standard historical reference - containing details of the evolution of Baird's different tv systems - is R W Burns' "Television".

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=gZcwhVyiMqsC&printsec=frontcover&dq=r+w+burns+television&source=bl&ots=weK-p9mD8f&sig=QXK5VEsN9togw_c6cxJIAQVbW6w&hl=en&ei=DOxKTJLkLoL48Aah8PE3&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
  • OrthiconOrthicon Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rented from Radio Rentals for years back in the 80s and never had any problems with the sets the best one I had was the supersound stereo TV this was years before nicam and gave a simulated stereo efect which was very good

both paul nipko and cambell swinton came up with ideas for television systems but they never got further than a sheet of paper because outher technology was neede to make these systems work , cambell swinton was in the right direction for all electronic tv using crt.

But it was Baird who invented TV because he was the first in the world to produce a TV picture , before farsworth's blob
    people can put JLB down all they want but he was first

TV started out mechanical but over the years has evolved
    it is now totaly different from marconi emi as there is no CRT 's in use either in the camera or the reciever ( unless you are still watching a crt in 2010)

when the railway train was invented by stevenson it was steam, nowadays trains are deisel or electric powerd like tv they have evolved and stevenson invented the railway train

Baird was first in the world to get a TV system up and running involved turning light to electricity and used a scanning system modern TV involves the same process
    but has evolved but we still use mechanical equipment DVD and VHS and Blueray are all examples of mechanical TV like the original televisor there are motors and moving parts

Actually, Baird wasn't the first to transmit a TV picture. That accolade goes to Charles Jenkins of Maryland, USA. He was the first person to transmit silhouettes over the air (1923) and actually had a primitive TV service up and running that showed cartoons.

Baird was the first to transmit moving images of live scenes that had varying shades of grey (orange). First, in 1924, static images of Stooky Bill, the disembodied head of a ventrioquist's dummy, then in 1925, moving images of a live human face, that of William Taynton.

Baird was the first with a working mechanical colour system. He also invented "night-vision", the phonovision recording system, an electronic colour system that intially used a two-colour telechrome tube and 600 lines, followed by a colour system that used a three-colour telechrome and 1000 lines.

Philo T. Farnsworth was the first person to build an all electronic system. Vladimir Zworykin, working for RCA, paid a visit to Farnsworth's labs "just out of interest". Shortly after this visit, the Iconoscope camera tube was suddenly developed, essentially based on Farnsworth's designs. Marconi-EMI had a patent sharing agreement with RCA, so they built their own version of it called the Emitron.

When RCA developed the NTSC colour system with the first electronic colour camera, the TK40, the patent sharing agreement was still in place, although EMI had left the partnership with Marconi. Marconi used the TK40 designs to build their own version which was used at Alexandra Palace for the 405-line colour experiments in the 1950s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. I think there was "very bad vibes" between Sarnoff and Farnsworth. Didn't they eventually settle the dispute with some money?

NTSC is very clever - the basis of all analogue colour - but also "never the same colour". After travelling 1,300 miles on NBC's "round robin" cable, the end-point picture was "not very healthy".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    Robert law seems to list baird tv service as his job. So i guess thats the reason he finds it necessary to exagerate bairds contributions to television. His attribution of credit for bluray to baird based on them both having "mechanical moving parts" kinda reveals a fundamental misunderstanding of the basic concepts and differences between the technology. I mean really, its like saying that since thomas edison was a pioneer in use of electricity he invented computers. Like lightbulbs they all run on those electricities after all!!

bahahahah!

I have never credited blueray to Baird :mad:

mechanical TV systems like VHS and Blueray are direct desendents of the worlds first video recording system which was invented by Baird phonovision which had video recorded on a LP record played back via a stylus

Blueray is modern version instead of a stylus it a lazer pickup instead of 30 lines we now have 1080 lines

mechanical TV systems still exist 80 years after Baird
    DLP projectors use a modern version of the Baird sequential colour system using a filter wheel

babage invented the computer and Baird invented the television period:mad:
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    I've seen quite of lot of Thorn/Baird rental sets, B&W and colour. They were all unreliable crap. But your experience may be different .....

Everyone elses experience was different as well :D

Thorn made really good sets - bear in mind, back in those days, sets were far less reliable than a few years ago (although the cheap supermarket crap has probably proved more unreliable than the 70's).

Thorn had the advantage of NEVER producing a valve colour set, and in fact produced the worlds first all transistor set. Never using valves made them more relaible than other sets.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    I had a go look from very tight angles left right and top and bottom, and I could not see any change in picture quality, as good as a panasonic ips panel.

The above statement has just confirmed my worst fears, I'm trapped in a parallel universe. :eek: Does anyone know of a way back?
    Forum Member
    I have never credited blueray to Baird :mad:

mechanical TV systems like VHS and Blueray are direct desendents of the worlds first video recording system which was invented by Baird phonovision which had video recorded on a LP record played back via a stylus

Blueray is modern version instead of a stylus it a lazer pickup instead of 30 lines we now have 1080 lines

mechanical TV systems still exist 80 years after Baird
    DLP projectors use a modern version of the Baird sequential colour system using a filter wheel

babage invented the computer and Baird invented the television period:mad:

Bahaha...yea bluray is a direct decendent of edisons inventions by your extremely exagerated attribution of credit. I'm sorry, you are just going way beyond what is reasonable. The implimentation and theory behind bluray and biards machanical tv is just so vastly different that they are literally on different worlds. To pretend they are similar in anything but the most superficial way is simply ridiculous. You might as well say they are both made of physical matter, thus they are the same. *gag*