Orange 3G speed?

satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im only and have only got the maximum speed of 1.5 MPS on my iphone 4s with orange! all my friends who have vodafone, O2 and even three get alot more? why?

Comments

• MinardiMinardi Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orange, up to the T-Mob merger, didn't spend enough on the network. Even now, I can only get 600k on Orange. O2 gives over 4Meg and I managed over 6Meg on T-Mob the other afternoon.
  • satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they merged so can I not used the T mobile 3G?
  • LummoLummo Posts: 7,145
    Forum Member
    I get speeds average of atleast 7mb on Orange.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can roam onto it, but retain their own network. If you're on Orange you can't tell the difference easily as they brand it all EE. I'm on Virgin so you can tell.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    As far as I'm led to believe, Orange's 3G network (or at least 6000 sites of it, while some will be decommissioned) will be fully integrated into the MBNL (Three/T-Mobile) 3G network by the end of next year.

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to know which areas are currently getting upgraded and which areas are next in line, as they don't seem to have published any kind of timetable.

With a bit of luck (and as with these things, I'm sure it won't be a smooth ride for everybody), it'll be excellent when it's done. :)
  • davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably why we get such crap speeds in N.I! Smart signal share was brilliant and then they decommissioned all the T-Mobile masts! I wish we could see the benefits of the 'alleged' £25m they were supposed to be spending here before the end of 2012!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was testing 3G streaming tonight while I went for a walk. When I had 3G roaming on, every time it went for Orange 3G the stream dropped out completely. Locked it to T-Mob 3G and the problem went. Orange's 3G network is amazingly poor in places.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Orange.invested heavily in 3g at the start but not since then and their 3g tech has become outdated and othed networks have advanced on. I remember orange have still got a high percentage of hsdpa 7.2mbps masts. Mbnl will/is changing that

Infact I remember orange having the most 3g coverage back in 07/08. But like I said, a bit outdated now
  • davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is MBNL? Is it sort of mast sharing and how will it improve Orange speeds?
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davybhoy wrote: »
    What is MBNL? Is it sort of mast sharing and how will it improve Orange speeds?

This is information about MBNL and the original build, although it has advanced a lot in the 2 years since this was written.

http://efficiency2010.nokiasiemensnetworks.com/uploads/documents/03-Efficiency%20Forum%20Paris_MBNL.pdf

It'll answer a lot of questions about number of sites that came up in other threads, some joker even tried to suggest Vodafone had more 3G sites! although the figures are a couple of years old you can see the site density was designed for 2100Mhz and cell spacing was done accordingly. Yet another argument with somebody over Mhz, however T-mobile / 3 are shown here as ranked 1st and 2nd for in building 3G coverage due to tighter cell spacing and better 3G coverage.

Since 2010 the enhancements have continued, with more and more sites added, somewhere between 2,000 to 4,000 and backhaul upgraded, HSPA+ upgrades, DCHSDPA upgrades and more. This even shows the extra 3 only sites that the same person mentioned earlier argued didn't exist for a long time.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Well that can't be accurate now as the Virgin Fujitsu lads i spoke to stated that the backhaul was separate ethernet connections for Three and EE. Maybe there is a difference at 4G sites tho.

Interesting to know that Three have 2000 ish more sites, obviously to deal with 3G coverage shrinkage/congestion at peak seeing how much data they deal with.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    MBNL site suggest a total of 4000 extra 3 only sites within the next 2 years. 3 could end up being the best network at that rate.
    Having said that the EE 3G network seems to be getting better by the day. How they're doing that I don't know. Can't see any extra sites appearing. A couple of sites down here have gone from EDGE to 3G very recently. Still crappy speeds though. They are Orange masts. Maybe they're doing the antennas and cabs (HSPA+) and the backhaul will be done later. Would make sense. Slow 3G is better than none.