Options

Megapixel question from a 'noob'.

Sorry but I'm not clued up at all when it comes to megapixels and camera settings but I'm hoping to learn ;).

I've just bought a new Casio Z1080 10MP camera and this is only the second digital camera I've had. My first was a basic Kodak point and shoot fixed at 3.5MP. The factory default setting for my new one is 10MP. I know more pixels means better quality but I have several options where I can change the image resolution to either 2MP, 3MP, 5MP, 16:9, 3:2 and 10MP.

I usually only take photos to print off 6"x4" pictures and according to my manual 3:2 matches the 'standard aspect ratio of print paper' so is it best set to this option or factory default of 10MP?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and apologies for sounding so green.

Comments

• Options
    BustedCatBustedCat Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would get a better result taking the picture at ten mega-pixels and scaling the image down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, are they automatically scaled down at the printers when put onto a disc for processing?

I use Kodak Easyshare to store, sort and modify my pictures. The Casio comes with Photo Loader/Hot Album but I haven't installed it yet since I don't know whether I might as well continue with Easyshare.
  • Options
    blackmagicblackmagic Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how you can change the resolution to 16:9 or 3:2, because they are just ratios. And I should think you would be able to set it to 10MP AND 3:2. Then, you can print off at 6" x 4" size without having to crop the picture.

Take a picture at 10MP resolution and see if it is 3:2 ratio. If it is, then continue to use your camera set at 10MP. But if it is not, then I think if you set it to 3:2 like you said, your 10MP images will come out in the 3:2 ratio. Not too sure on that though.

I have no experience of Casio cameras by the way!

Edit: In response to your above post, yes they will be automatically scaled when you give it in for printing.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3:2 ensures the picture will fit a 6x4 print with nothing cropped off. The default for digital cameras required a 6.5x4 printout, or the edges of the picture are cut off.

blackmagic - I think you're getting slightly mixed up with TV ratios - 4:3 is not the same ratio as 6:4, and I'm not aware of 16:9 being a common ratio for cameras.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blackmagic - I think you're getting slightly mixed up with TV ratios - 4:3 is not the same ratio as 6:4, and I'm not aware of 16:9 being a common ratio for cameras.

You're right. I'm too obsessed with video aspect ratios! I just replaced all the '4:3's in my post with '3:2's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks again for the advice. I've just had a little play around with the camera taking identical shots at both 10MP and 3:2. When I copy them into Easyshare to be viewed the 10MP ones are cropped at the sides while the 3:2 fit into the view window perfectly. Not sure how many MP 3:2 is but the 3:2 file sizes were 2.25mb while 2.46mb at 10MP. So its probably just a MP or so smaller. It looks as if 3:2 is probably the best setting for standard photos even if they are a few pixels smaller.

It's a very nice little camera and comes with a 250 page adobe manual which is going to take some reading. Even though it's quite clear explaining the cameras operation it doesn't really explain in idiot-proof terms what I'm looking for.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again for the advice. I've just had a little play around with the camera taking identical shots at both 10MP and 3:2. When I copy them into Easyshare to be viewed the 10MP ones are cropped at the sides while the 3:2 fit into the view window perfectly. Not sure how many MP 3:2 is but the 3:2 file sizes were 2.25mb while 2.46mb at 10MP. So its probably just a MP or so smaller. It looks as if 3:2 is probably the best setting for standard photos even if they are a few pixels smaller.

It's a very nice little camera and comes with a 250 page adobe manual which is going to take some reading. Even though it's quite clear explaining the cameras operation it doesn't really explain in idiot-proof terms what I'm looking for.
    3:2 is the aspect ratio (ratio of width to height) it has little to do with how many megapixels the image is.

You could have 3:2 at 6 pixels or 6 trillion pixels all it means is that for every 3 pixels wide the picture is there are 2 pixels high.

It sounds like your first test shot was set to 16:9 which again is just a ratio of width to height and is independent of how many pixels are in the shot (well apart from there has to be a multiple of 16 wide and 9 high obviously). That certainly would lead to cropping at the edges if you viewed it in 3:2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    3:2 is the aspect ratio (ratio of width to height) it has little to do with how many megapixels the image is.

You could have 3:2 at 6 pixels or 6 trillion pixels all it means is that for every 3 pixels wide the picture is there are 2 pixels high.

It sounds like your first test shot was set to 16:9 which again is just a ratio of width to height and is independent of how many pixels are in the shot (well apart from there has to be a multiple of 16 wide and 9 high obviously). That certainly would lead to cropping at the edges if you viewed it in 3:2

Ok I think I'm getting the hang of this. Going back to the two pictures I took earlier at 3:2 and 10MP I think I've discovered just how many MP the 3:2 setting uses, because there is no obvious way of knowing (to me anyway ;)). I checked the details for each picture and the 10MP is 3648x2736 = roughly 10MP. The 3:2 one is 3648x2432 = 8.9MP.

(3648x2432 when divided up is a perfect 3:2 ration just like you explained, so is it safe to assume the 3:2 shot is 8.9MP?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    The 3:2 shot is probably just a standard 10mp shot with the top and bottom cropped to achieve the required ratio.

I doubt a Casio compact is likey to have the optics to take a true wide angled shot to achieve these ratios. Most compacts just crop to give you 'widescreen' pictures and suchlike.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah the 3:2 shot is just a cropped 10MP shot (which actually comes out at 9MP), since both have 3648 pixels in width.