What is 3G

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
Forum Member
Thanks in advance if someone can sort this out, but I went on the internet on my phone very briefly last night, now on my phone (nokia 6220C) has a symbol in top left corner saying 3G, instruction booklet says it means device connected to umts or gsm network, is this still the internet and am I being charged whilst that 3G thing is on :eek:, I had this problem before and asked on here ages ago and now cant remember how to get it off. :o Thanks

Comments

• Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Masydote wrote: »
    Thanks in advance if someone can sort this out, but I went on the internet on my phone very briefly last night, now on my phone (nokia 6220C) has a symbol in top left corner saying 3G, instruction booklet says it means device connected to umts or gsm network, is this still the internet and am I being charged whilst that 3G thing is on :eek:, I had this problem before and asked on here ages ago and now cant remember how to get it off. :o Thanks

The UMTS network is a newer, faster network that will make your internet usage a lot faster.

UMTS also allows for Video Calls and makes other transfers of data faster.

The older GSM network is used by your phone when you go somewhere without a UMTS signal (UMTS tends to be limited to big cities and suburbs).
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    You are only charged when you do something on your phone like email or surfing the net.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when you are not using it, good idea to turn 3G off to save battery power as well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    darkpaw wrote: »
    when you are not using it, good idea to turn 3G off to save battery power as well

Thanks everyone, I don't know how to turn it off :o:o:o Ive even tried turning it off and removing battery, but it still there:rolleyes::confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    removing the battery or power off won't do anything, you need to change your phone settings.

i am not a nokia person,

but i'd imagine it would be similar to sony ericsson where you go into your settings > connectivity > mobile networks > GSM/3G networks > options "GSM and 3G" or "GSM only" > select "GSM only" to turn off 3G.

look for something like that in your settings. if not I am sure a Nokia user will be along soon to give you the precise pointers :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmm... i've had a look at the online manual for the Nokia 6220C...

could it be this? (page 63 of manual)... :confused:

Settings > Phone sett. > Connection > Packet data >

select "When needed"

it could be that you have it on "When available"

see if that does the trick :)
  • TTTVTTTV Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To switch it off on a Nokia the options is usually in settings, then network mode, then click onto GSM from Dual Mode. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TTTV wrote: »
    To switch it off on a Nokia the options is usually in settings, then network mode, then click onto GSM from Dual Mode. :)

ah that sounds like it :)

OP please ignore my post #8, as i said i am not a nokia user :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TTTV wrote: »

Yes, that'll do it.

Although it would make more sense to do the data option (as Darkpaw suggests), as you'll benefit from the UMTS network's coverage which may or may not be better than the GSM coverage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies I have been in to all settings but don't have anything relating to network mode, or anything similar, I was reading instruction booklet and fiddling about with it till I was sick of looking at it last night, its still there but if im not been charged then thats something. thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the 3g symbol is telling your the mast the phone is conencted to. if your not using thee applications then theres no charge.... most networks make sure the handset cannot specifically choose 2g or 3g as the sim will automatically switch to any available... in a nutshell just ignore it!
  • RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    riaz wrote: »
    the 3g symbol is telling your the mast the phone is conencted to. if your not using thee applications then theres no charge.... most networks make sure the handset cannot specifically choose 2g or 3g as the sim will automatically switch to any available... in a nutshell just ignore it!

Utter rubbish
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Utter rubbish

It's not complete rubbish.

3's phones are designed to stop you switching between 3G and 2G as they don't own their own 2G network (3 Customers roam onto Orange's 2G network which of course costs 3 money).

The other networks have less of a reason to force you to use UMTS.